Translation of Thai documents.

My thai wife is applying for a UK standard 6 month visitor visa, although we are only going for 2 weeks.My question is she has a marriage certificate and a blue baan house book in Thai.Will they have to be translated into English when presenting supporting documentation.Many thanks.

rasg is spot on, the advice from the UKVI spells it out.

If you submit a document that is not in English or Welsh, it must be accompanied by a full translation that can be independently verified by the Home Office. Each translated document must contain:

 confirmation from the translator that it is an accurate translation of the original document

 the date of the translation

 the translator's full name and signature

 the translator's contact details

Visitor visa, we only had marriage certificate and daughter's birth certificate translated.

One of our reasons to return was the house we share and mortgage on it. Copy of Tabiaan Baan and mortgage documents submitted in Thai with notes in English as to what they were.

Two visa applications, both accepted. Did the same for a girl I knew who wanted to visit the UK, not married, no translations submitted, but I produced a very organised application with notes stating what was what, accepted (I was surprised, her only reason to return was to be with her children, who lived with the father in a Kalasin when she was in Chiang Mai).

I know the OP's question is re the UK, but I just wanted to add this re the USA by comparison.

My wife is going to be applying for a U.S. tourist visa soon, and I asked that very question by email to the U.S. Consulate in BKK since I couldn't find any official guidance online on the point -- do we need to have our Thai language, Thai marriage certificate translated into English, and if so, also have that translation certified by Thai MFA.

And their answer back by email just a week or two ago was that, at least for the U.S. Consulate BKK, Thai documents submitted in support of a non-immigrant visa application DO NOT need to be translated into English.

I'm still a bit wary about that advice, so I'm going to have my wife bring along a printout of the Consulate's email answer just in case the reality proves otherwise during her interview.

I would like to think that the US Consulate actually has people there who can read and speak English. What a good idea.

Maybe the Brits could take note and do the same? I won’t hold my breath as it keeps the translation industry ticking along and adds another hurdle to the people applying for UK visas.

I'm still a bit wary about that advice, so I'm going to have my wife bring along a printout of the Consulate's email answer just in case the reality proves otherwise during her interview.

Sounds like a good idea!

• 2 weeks later...