France delivers second Mistral helicopter carrier to Egypt

rooster59

France delivers second Mistral helicopter carrier to Egypt

Chris Cummins

606x341_344174.jpg

France has delivered a second Mistral helicopter carrier to Egypt as part of a $1bn deal signed last year.

The Egyptian delegation took control of the vessel at a ceremony at the Atlantic coast port of Saint-Nazaire. 

The two ships were originally built for sale to Russia, but the situation in Crimea led to the deal being quashed as Europe imposed sanctions on Moscow.

The French state backed shipbuilder DCNS had to strip out all the vessel’s information systems and instructions written in Cyrillic and replace them with English and Arabic text.

The “Anwar El-Sadat”, formally the Vladivostok, will set sail from Saint-Nazaire early next week for joint exercises with the French navy before setting off for Alexandria.

The Mistral is capable of carrying vessels and tanks and will serve as a command centre for the Egyptian fleet.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-09-17

EU and NATO pressure stopped them from selling to Russia - so they flogged them off to Egypt - that well known bastion of free speech, tolerance and democracy.

Got to hand it to the French. They sell weapons to anyone with the means to pay and simply ignore any criticism and dismiss any challengers.

2 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

EU and NATO pressure stopped them from selling to Russia - so they flogged them off to Egypt - that well known bastion of free speech, tolerance and democracy.

Got to hand it to the French. They sell weapons to anyone with the means to pay and simply ignore any criticism and dismiss any challengers.

Am not really a francophile, but did you even read what you just wrote?  You start out with the fact the France was stopped (by EU and NATO "pressure") from selling the carriers to Russia, and then turn right around and castigate them for "ignoring criticism & dismissing challengers" IOT sell to "anyone with the means to pay", namely Egypt!  (...ONE "well known bastion of free speech, tolerance and democracy" no better than the other.)

So, what's your point again?

Got to hand it to the French.

I am afraid I cannot recall any country to the south from Malta and to the north from Australia which can be called a well known bastion of free speech, tolerance and democracy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 9/18/2016 at 10:53 AM, Gene1960 said:

I am afraid I cannot recall any country to the south from Malta and to the north from Australia which can be called a well known bastion of free speech, tolerance and democracy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

C'mon any takers...?

p.s. Lol, before anyone else gets in NORTH KOREA!!

Edited by Lokie
p,s,