AIS Fiber Optic 15/5 590 baht - Any good?

ExpatOilWorker

If you are using a Wifi connection from your router to your computer/device you could very well get less than 100Mb due to wifi circuitry limitations with your hardware.

Do you only get 70Mb with an ethernet connection between router and computer?   If so, then your problem is probably with 3BB.

It's most likely an issue with 3BB, a couple people I know are currently on the 100/10 3BB plan and as far as I know they don't get 100MB. They also use the latest AC routers.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

56 minutes ago, arkom said:

It's most likely an issue with 3BB, a couple people I know are currently on the 100/10 3BB plan and as far as I know they don't get 100MB. They also use the latest AC routers.

Maybe, but connecting your PC to your router via an ethernet cable and testing again would settle that issue.

Edited by suzannegoh

1 hour ago, arkom said:

Do a hardwire connection to confirm....even if you have an 802.11AC router and a 802.11AC receiving capability. Wifi speed can be degraded by many factors such as obstructions (walls & floors), distance,  interference from other nearby routers, etc.   And if you live in a condo building where you have plenty of neighbors above, below, and around you also using Wifi routers then interference can be a big problem...can have a big impact on speed.   Just do yourself a favor and check with a hardwire connection.

And I guarantee you if a 3BB tech came to your place to check out the speed the first thing he would do is a hardwire connection.

Edited by Pib

8 hours ago, Pib said:

Anyone out there got the AIS Fibre PowerPro package?   Repeat, the PowerPro package which is suppose to provide better international speed (among other things) than the PowerHome package like I have and I think what everyone else has had who as posted in this thread.   

If anyone does have the PowerPro package it would be interesting to see what international speed results you are getting.

I have applied for the Power pro AIS Fiber for my house, they gave an installation date of Monday let's see how it goes.

12 minutes ago, Pib said:

Do a hardwire connection to confirm....even if you have an 802.11AC router and a 802.11AC receiving capability. Wifi speed can be degraded by many factors such as obstructions (walls & floors), distance,  interference from other nearby routers, etc.   And if you live in a condo building where you have plenty of neighbors above, below, and around you also using Wifi routers then interference can be a big problem...can have a big impact on speed.   Just do yourself a favor and check with a hardwire connection.

And I guarantee you if a 3BB tech came to your place to check out the speed the first thing he would do is a hardwire connection.

Again, if you read my original post I said I USED to have it, as in I no longer use 3BB.  But for your enjoyment, when I was using them I had done speed tests with both wireless and wired connections with a cat6 ethernet cable for good measure, one from their modem to my router and another from my router to a notebook and never got to 100mb.  Like I said I was not the only one, a couple of friends have told me the same thing.

So again, I am curious to know if anyone is using the 100/10 on AIS and if they are getting the advertised speeds.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/27/2016 at 10:20 AM, Pib said:

I've turned the Playbox on a few  times to check out the TV channels, maybe watch a movie on the movie channel, but last night I used it to play some Youtube.   Worked fine....beautiful picture.   I don't need or use the Playbox for TV as I have TrueVisions cable TV.

One problem in being able to fully use and understand all the Playbox's capabilities is because although you can set it to the English language a lot of the menus for the TV channel/movie type stuff stays in Thai.  Of course no problem if you can read Thai, but I can't.   

As with some other internet providers which also provide some free TV channels (like TrueOnline), usually around 100 channels, with their internet service the channels are really nothing more than free-to-air TV channels they pull-off free satellite with maybe a few special channels added in.   If you just want and need the very basic Thai TV channels  then it's a good deal; otherwise, it's not much of a value added benefit and that's why they don't charge for it.

I stand corrected where above I said in my second paragraph above regarding you can not change the language selection for the TV app (not to be confused with the Playbox basic operating system language selection).  

See below post in separate thread in how to set the TV app to English in case the AIS installers did not know how (like my 4 installers did not know how although they knew how to change the basic box language setting to English).