AIS Fiber Optic 15/5 590 baht - Any good?

ExpatOilWorker

You can use Google Play. I just figured out how to add the Google Play icon as Google Play came already installed. To add the icon for 'use/display' you must select the Media icon along the bottom of the screen and then select the Add icon which then shows apps installed and can be added or removed for display on the main Media screen.

I expect once you install additional apps like from Google Play you then must do what I described above to get the app's icon to then display on the Media page so you can start/use the app.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Pib said:

I see as of 28 Sep 16 (today) AIS Fibre has some new pricing....also now includes a 100/10 PowerHome plan where before today 50/10 was their highest speed PowerHome plan.  And don't confuse their PowerHome plans with their PowerPro plans that go all the way up to 2000/200.

http://www.ais.co.th/fibre/en/package_home.html

Capture.JPG

Looking closely, they don't seem to have repriced this so much as remarketed it and changed the emphasis. The main difference is they now advertise the minimum package as 20/7 and a higher speed top end package. The 20/7 for 531 baht (inc 10% discount) doesn't include the playbox and jumps to 675bt if this is included. Both of these offers are priced the same as previously.

They've effectively removed the minimum package 15/5 referenced in this thread from the new promotional material, not sure if this will still be available now. If not, it may be the case that the lowest priced options are no longer offered (15/5 without playbox 440bt, 15/5 with playbox 590/531bt).

19 hours ago, suzannegoh said:

Thanks for pointing out that it has USB ports.  I didn't pay much attention to that box at first because I already had an AndroidTV box purchased from a computer shop and I initially didn’t notice the USB ports on the side of the unit.  Now that I see that it has USB ports I'm able to see that you can add a mouse and keyboard to it and load apps off a USB drive.  So I installed the Google Play Store off a USB stick and then used that to install Kodi and a whole bunch of other apps for streaming video.  Now that I've loaded it up with most of the apps that I like, the "Playbox" from AIS is very similar to the Android box that I already had and it can be used to stream a wide variety of TV channels beyond the ones that that AIS preloads onto the box.  

This is what I want to do as well. Bit confused about how to get Google play working through the set top box, though I'm familiar with using the playstore on my phone. Can this be downloaded through the media section of the playbox? What is a reliable source for download? 

This is what I want to do as well. Bit confused about how to get Google play working through the set top box, though I'm familiar with using the playstore on my phone. Can this be downloaded through the media section of the playbox? What is a reliable source for download? 

Another post in this thread says that Google Play is already on the box but I didn't find it, so I found an apk for Google Play (using a pc) , put it on a usb dive, and installed it off the USB. I installed several other apps including kodi and everything seems to work as it would on any other AndroidTV box, though apps seem to open and close more slowly that on my M8S+ box.

No need to load Google Play as it's already loaded.   Look under the "Media" selection, click the "Add" icon, and the different installed apps are shown...many of which are already reflected on the menus selection shown on the main screens but not all of the already installed apps like the  Google Play  app.   Once clicking/checking add for Google Play and since it's already installed it will be instantly displayed on the Media screen for use.  

It's almost like how you may have many, many apps loaded on your Android device they will all appear under the Apps selection/menu but only those you drag & drop to your Home screens will appear on the Home screens.  And remove one from the Home screens it simply removes it from display on the Home screens but is still available in the Apps menu which you can drag and drop back on the Home screens if desired.  

Just strange to get the installed apps icons to appear on your main screen on the Playbox you do that under the "Media" selection versus under the "Apps" selection.  Just the way AIS has setup the main interface on the Playbox which makes it somewhat different from what you may be  use to on a Android phone/tablet.

Edited by Pib

7 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

Looking closely, they don't seem to have repriced this so much as remarketed it and changed the emphasis. The main difference is they now advertise the minimum package as 20/7 and a higher speed top end package. The 20/7 for 531 baht (inc 10% discount) doesn't include the playbox and jumps to 675bt if this is included. Both of these offers are priced the same as previously.

They've effectively removed the minimum package 15/5 referenced in this thread from the new promotional material, not sure if this will still be available now. If not, it may be the case that the lowest priced options are no longer offered (15/5 without playbox 440bt, 15/5 with playbox 590/531bt).

I figured they would change their speed offerings within a year of me getting my AIS 50/10 installed almost 3 months ago.   And I thought it was a mistake for them to not offer a 100Mb PowerHome plan although they did offer a pricier 100Mb PowerPro plan....I figured it was a mistake since 3BB was offering a 100Mb plan at Bt1200.   Maybe they read my mind...which would have only taken only a few seconds based on the number of remaining brain cells.  :P 

I was hoping they would offer a 75Mb PowerHome plan since my Wifi routers can do up to around 90Mb (real world vs higher theoretical/laboratory controlled specs) based on my testing when combined with the Wifi chips in my devices.   I tested my streaming data from my home servers.  Sure, with the right routers and computers/device you can do Wifi above 100Mb real world if you have to have the latest 802.11AC equipment or optimized 802.11N equipment and being close to your router versus the router being on the other side of a wall on on another floor.  If I upgraded to their new 100Mb PowerHome plan I'm sure I wouldn't be able to use that speed unless I tethered myself to the router with an ethernet cable which I do not want to do. 

Edited by Pib

From the main screen select the Media icon at the bottom

Capture1.JPG

Once going to the Media selection you will see a +/Add icon where you can add Google Play since it already loaded.  On the Media screen below since I have already added Google Play to the screen its already showing.

Capture2.JPG

When selecting the +/Add icon it will show you Apps you can add to the Media screen which most are already being shown on the various screen like the Media screen although they are not "checked" below.  Now where  you do see the Check mark on the Google Play icon that was me checking it last night to get it to display on the Media screen as shown on the snapshot above.   Now I have not actually used Google play to add any apps to the Playbox using Google Play but I expect the apps will add just fine...heck, I haven't even added one of my google accounts to the box settings yet just like you do on other Android devices which will hopefully allow Google Play to download/install  apps to the box...like I said earlier I haven't used the Playbox much except to watch a little bit of TV and play around in the menus/settings a little.   I probably haven't had the box turned on for more than 2 hours since having AIS Fibre for almost 3 months now....I'm really a babe lost in the woods regarding use of the box to its full capabilities.

Capture3.JPG

The AIS Playbox is an open, unlocked, rooted, budget Android (4.4.2) TV box. It supports HDMI, 802.11 b/g/n and 10/100 (not sure if it supports 1000?, I think it does) ethernet. It runs the AIS TV application which delivers 100+ stations, many in HD (1080p), along  with some optional for a fee packages. The broadcast quality is quite impressive, better than True 720p obviously. It does everything an Android TV box does including streaming/casting on your LAN, KODI, YouTube (4K), USB playback, etc. You can install any apps. from the PlayStore or elsewhere.

For me it works fine, over WLAN. I mainly run KODI, stream content off my NAS, playback off an HDD. It was free; I wouldn't pay for it. I plan to get a newer Android TV box, and could run the AIS Play app on that. Not certain I can migrate the AIS TV app over to another box? I pay 699 baht/month for AIS 50/10 (748 with VAT).

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

The AIS Playbox is an open, unlocked, rooted, budget Android (4.4.2) TV box. It supports HDMI, 802.11 b/g/n and 10/100 (not sure if it supports 1000?, I think it does) ethernet. It runs the AIS TV application which delivers 100+ stations, many in HD (1080p), along  with some optional for a fee packages. The broadcast quality is quite impressive, better than True 720p obviously. It does everything an Android TV box does including streaming/casting on your LAN, KODI, YouTube (4K), USB playback, etc. You can install any apps. from the PlayStore or elsewhere.

For me it works fine, over WLAN. I mainly run KODI, stream content off my NAS, playback off an HDD. It was free; I wouldn't pay for it. I plan to get a newer Android TV box, and could run the AIS Play app on that. Not certain I can migrate the AIS TV app over to another box? I pay 699 baht/month for AIS 50/10 (748 with VAT).

Why would you want to migrate AIS's proprietary TV app over onto another device, does it do something that free apps do not?

Thanks for the helpful replies, set up the Google play (very straightforward once I knew where it was), downloaded fusion and added kodi. Installed exodus which seems to work. Couldn't get freeview to work yet, will try again later. 

There's a few things in English loaded on the playbox. Five news channels, and Warner TV which is mostly in English, very decent HD picture on these. 

I'm glad I asked about Google Play and its compatibility with the AIS box. If you're going to get the box for basically free as part of the AIS internet service, might as well make the most out of it -- even if you never watch the main Thai language channels it's pre-configured for. As long as it's an open platform and compatible with the Google Play Store, the use options for it are pretty much limitless.

Maybe someone can mention if you have the ability to log-into your own personal Google account via the Play Store app on the AIS box. I'm assuming it would have to have that capability, but I haven't seen anyone mention it here.

BTW, if the box can in fact access the Google Play Store, then that also opens the box to potentially using various of the Android VPN apps, which could allow you to use the same box to access your geo-restricted home country content. Of course, you could get to the same result if you were connecting the box to a wifi router running a VPN service.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Maybe someone can mention if you have the ability to log-into your own personal Google account via the Play Store app on the AIS box.

Yes, of course. You need a GMail account to access the Play Store.

Yes, you can run any Android VPN application on the AIS Play Box.

Obviously you can run a DNS proxy on the AIS Play Box.

I use one of the USB ports (there are two) on the AIS Play Box for a wireless mouse, keyboard, mainly for setting up Kodi addons.

Why would you want to migrate AIS's proprietary TV app over onto another device, does it do something that free apps do not?

Yes, it provides 100+ channels, mostly local, many in Full HD (1080p), along with a simple UI. I'm not certain the AIS Play app does the same? It may, I haven't messed with it on the Play Box, just installed on an Android phone and cast it to my Chromecast so far. (I only count 64 channels on the AIS Play app.)

Today marks 3 months plus 1 day I've had AIS Fibre 50/10.   100% uptime, 50Mb plus speed to Thailand sites, 50Mb speed to Singapore, good international speed to other sites around the world.   I switched from TrueOnline DOCSIS/cable 15/1.5  had over 99.9% uptime over the 5 years I was with True...but the international speed could have been better.   Yeap, me be happy I switched to AIS Fibre.  

A couple of speed tests using Speedtest.net (a multi-thread tester) and Testmy.net (a single-thread tester) done mid day today/Sunday.

Bangkok to Bangkok using Speedtest.net

5680435417.png

Bangkok to Singapore using Speedtest.neet

5680445238.png

Bangkok to Singapore using Testmy.net

7WHMDdwps.sWQTMv9lC.png

Bangkok to LA using Speedtest.net

5680452929.png

Bangkok to LA using Testmy.net

egiAX6TQ7.IoFrhW8Mu.png

I signed up for 15/5 a week ago expecting I'd need to upgrade. But so far it's been rock solid, very fast, and no interruption to TV streaming through kodi during peak times, thunderstorms etc. Even I've done a couple of speed tests where I've got an occasional lower than advertised speed result, but it's made no noticeable difference. I'm more than satisfied, doubt I'll need to upgrade the speed at all if things continue like this.

11 hours ago, Pib said:

Today marks 3 months plus 1 day I've had AIS Fibre 50/10.   100% uptime, 50Mb plus speed to Thailand sites, 50Mb speed to Singapore, good international speed to other sites around the world.   I switched from TrueOnline DOCSIS/cable 15/1.5  had over 99.9% uptime over the 5 years I was with True...but the international speed could have been better.   Yeap, me be happy I switched to AIS Fibre.  

A couple of speed tests using Speedtest.net (a multi-thread tester) and Testmy.net (a single-thread tester) done mid day today/Sunday.

Bangkok to LA using Testmy.net

egiAX6TQ7.IoFrhW8Mu.png

Just to parallel Pib's Testmy.net results, I ran the same combined test to TestMy.net's LA server with my 3BB 100/10 fiber service in BKK at about 1:30 am Monday local time using two flavors:

1. My direct 3BB 100/10 fiber connection

The direction connect typically ran 14-15 down, 9-10 up

Test My Combined 1 am with 3BB Direct a.jpg

2. My 3BB 100/10 fiber with my VPN PPTP LA server connection

The VPN connection typically ran 49-55 down, 1.5 up.

Test My Combined 1 am with LA PPTP c.jpg

Overall, for those particular connections, AIS's normally slower rated and lower priced package is performing just as well as my more expensive, higher speed rated 3BB package.

Although, Pib's results above are all for direct connections, and almost all of my main internet use is via VPN to the U.S., where 3BB's speeds and performance for international connections with my VPN service improves markedly, so that's really the use category that's most important for me.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

I don't know...maybe just a local connection thing....maybe a time of day thing.  

I just ran tests to LA several times around 11:30am this morning which is around 5 hours after you ran your tests early in the morning on different days (I assuming it's Thailand time being reflected on the results) and varied the download file size....the speed got significantly faster as I increased the download size.    If I'm ever interneting early in the morning/O-dark early maybe I'll run some more tests to LA with testmy.net.   Maybe the time you ran the tests were a low use time.   Do you have any mid day/late evening/early night results to LA?

Capture.JPG

And today running a series of testmy.net 50Mb Manual Downloads to LA at around 1pm, I get around 23 to 33Mb.   Just varies from day to day, time of day to time of day (or night).   Haven't tried any tests in the late night or early morning like before the sun comes up.

Capture.JPG

I agree that it differs somewhat during the day and different parts of the country and so forth and so on

Here is two results from today at 1Pm and 5 PM.

5 PM is the 35.4 Mbps one.

I'm very happy with AIS as it stands now. In the future with more contention, who knows

Snap 2016-10-04 at 13.06.19.jpg

Snap 2016-10-04 at 17.05.04.jpg

My AIS 50/10 plan no longer has a 100% uptime score as it went down at around 7:30pm/45 minutes ago. No optical/internet signal getting to the router.   Going into the Hauwei router to look at the optical TX/RX signal strength and it's blank when normally the RX has a signal level of -22dbm and TX +2.5dbm.

I called AIS at 8:10pm and got a rep that spoke better English than me...the rep took down the info and will pass it to their technical department who is suppose to call me back.

So its phone hotspot time until my AIS signal comes back online

And AIS just called back (about an hour after I called them tonight) and said the AIS Fibre is down for my entire moobaan....not just my line.  Said they are working it and will call back once fixed/have a status change.   But I'll be surprised they can work the problem before daylight if the core problem is related to the trunk line in the area which requires a repair team to be dispatched to my moobaan.

I've had three outages during my six months plus with AIS. Two of those were because of a broken cable in front of my mooban. The third and latest was impacting a larger service area. The two in front of the mooban took a couple of days to fix. They both occurred during the weekend.The third was fixed in just a couple of hours.

Apparently my outage occurred around 7:30pm, called AIS about my outage and they call me back saying it was affecting all of my area, went to bed around 10pm and the connection is still down, got up around 2:20am to take a pee and I could tell from the router lights the connection was up again.   All is fine again.  I got AIS 50/10 on 1 July and this outage was the first one I had.

I am getting 1.7-1.75 MB/sec when downloading you know what on my 15/5 AIS connection.

About 10 years ago, I was sitting in this exact same chair, using a 56 kbit dial-up connection. Back then I was happy to download a 3-5 MB mp3 file from time to time and surfing Google map was something that took dedicated time.

Anyone out there got the AIS Fibre PowerPro package?   Repeat, the PowerPro package which is suppose to provide better international speed (among other things) than the PowerHome package like I have and I think what everyone else has had who as posted in this thread.   

If anyone does have the PowerPro package it would be interesting to see what international speed results you are getting.

13 minutes ago, arkom said:

Does anyone have their new 100/10 plan?  Curious how it compares to 3BB's 100/10, used to have it and never gotten 100mbs, closest it came to was around 70mbps.

If you are using a Wifi connection from your router to your computer/device you could very well get less than 100Mb due to wifi circuitry limitations with your hardware.

Do you only get 70Mb with an ethernet connection between router and computer?   If so, then your problem is probably with 3BB.