Problems getting visa - need advice

I am a US citizen, been going to Thailand every year for about 15 years, normally on a multiple entry tourist visa or multiple entry non-immigrant O.

Anyway, sent in the paperwork last week to the consulate I have to go through - Coral Gables, FL.  Did everything as usual, as I've been doing this for 15 years.  They denied the visa, saying two things:  1) they cannot receive applications nor send out visas through the mail - you have to do it in person, and 2) they cannot grant multiple entry visas of any type, must be single entry.  Weird thing is, I've been doing this the same exact way for 15 years.

I'm not going there in person - Coral Gables is too far away, and I my plane leaves for Thailand fairly soon anyway.  What I'm wondering is what my best options are after arriving in Thailand.  For instance, can I go to some place like Cambodia and get squared away with a proper visa of some type?  And if nothing else, can I just keep doing border runs every 30 days (I wouldn't want to do that, I'm just trying to make sure that's an option of last resort)?  How long can I stay by simply doing border runs?  I know in the past it was unlimited, and one could live there forever like that.  Then it changed.  Well I've heard it changed again, but would like to confirm.

Any help or advice appreciated - thanks.

Only "official" consulates can do multi-entries now - not "honorary" ones.   Too many Americans were having far too easy a time obtaining visas which allowed them to spend US-Dollars in Thailand for longer periods, so they have made it more difficult to carry on with this nefarious activity.

Fortunately, you can mail off your passport to the "official" consulate that has jurisdiction for your region, which is Washington DC (for Florida residents).  They can provide either a Single-Entry Tourist Visa (SETV), or a Multiple-Entry Tourist Visa (METV) - but do note the significant added requirements to qualify for the METV:

http://thaiembdc.org/tourist-visa-category-tr-multiple-metv/

Some other honorary consulates in the USA may still offer by-mail service for SETVs, unless that 'racket' (for undesirable riff-raff with $2.5K+ to spend on airline tickets) has been recently shut down, as well.

You can still obtain SETVs locally in the region, Laos being the easiest option.  So, if time is too short to get a SETV in the USA, you could arrive in on a 30-Day Visa Exempt, extend that for 30-days, then go pick up an SETV for 60-days in Vientiane, then extend that for 30-days in-country, then do the Laos Visa-Run at least 2 more times, after which other consulates are a possibility.  You could also get at least one more Visa Exempt (and extension of it), but I would not try for 3, given the current climate. 

• Like 2

If you want to be safe, I recommend the following:

• Before your flight to Thailand (where you will receive a visa exempt entry) book a flight to Penang, Phnom Penh or Vientiane about 29 days out, planning to get a single entry tourist visa. The reason for this is that the airline may not allow you to board without either a visa or onward ticket within 30 days.
  • Plan on staying using tourist visas and extensions of tourist visas. Using back-to-back visa exempt entries involves risk.

Other strategies may work, but they will involve risk.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JackThompson said:

You can still obtain SETVs locally in the region, Laos being the easiest option.  So, if time is too short to get a SETV in the USA, you could arrive in on a 30-Day Visa Exempt, extend that for 30-days, then go pick up an SETV for 60-days in Vientiane, then extend that for 30-days in-country, then do the Laos Visa-Run at least 2 more times, after which other consulates are a possibility.

Since I've never had to do this before, I hope you don't mind me asking you to elaborate on a few things.

1) I hadn't heard you could extend a 30-day visa except.  So this is possible?  Just go to some immigration office, fill out some paperwork, pay some money... ?

2) I understand getting 60 days for SETV, then extend for a total of 90 days.  However I don't understand the "laos visa-run at least 2 more times" part of this.  Could you explain?

3) The crap they want to see now in the USA for a TV is ridiculous, and I can't qualify (proof of job, but pay stubs NOT accepted?).  Will getting it from Laos be easier, i.e. less requirements to show?

Also, one more question.  I think I will just fly to Coral Gables (big pain in the ass) and get the single entry non-imm O.  I've only ever had multiple entries in the past, where I could leave and go as I pleased, and had 1 year in the country.  How many times can I leave and come back on a single entry non-imm, and how many months could I 'milk' this thing (e.g. I've heard of leaving just before a visa expires, and getting a whole new period after coming back in... would this work with a single entry non-imm o?)?

Thanks.

3 minutes ago, sbaker8688 said:

Since I've never had to do this before, I hope you don't mind me asking you to elaborate on a few things.

1) I hadn't heard you could extend a 30-day visa except.  So this is possible?  Just go to some immigration office, fill out some paperwork, pay some money... ?

2) I understand getting 60 days for SETV, then extend for a total of 90 days.  However I don't understand the "laos visa-run at least 2 more times" part of this.  Could you explain?

3) The crap they want to see now in the USA for a TV is ridiculous, and I can't qualify (proof of job, but pay stubs NOT accepted?).  Will getting it from Laos be easier, i.e. less requirements to show?

Also, one more question.  I think I will just fly to Coral Gables (big pain in the ass) and get the single entry non-imm O.  I've only ever had multiple entries in the past, where I could leave and go as I pleased, and had 1 year in the country.  How many times can I leave and come back on a single entry non-imm, and how many months could I 'milk' this thing (e.g. I've heard of leaving just before a visa expires, and getting a whole new period after coming back in... would this work with a single entry non-imm o?)?

Thanks.

1. A 30 day visa exempt entry can be extended for 30 days at an immigration. It has been possible since August of 2014 when the new police order went into effect.

2. You can get another single entry tourist visa after getting the first one.

3. What you quoted is the requirements to get the new multiple entry tourist visa. Those are not required for a single entry tourist visa.

You can get a single entry tourist visa with only your passport and the application form plus the 1000 baht fee.

What would you be getting the non-o visa based upon. You can only get one based upon marriage to a Thai, having a Thai child or for being 50 or over.

A single entry non-o only allows one 90 day entry. You can apply for a one year extension of stay if you can qualify for one during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry from one.

13 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

What would you be getting the non-o visa based upon. You can only get one based upon marriage to a Thai, having a Thai child or for being 50 or over.

A single entry non-o only allows one 90 day entry. You can apply for a one year extension of stay if you can qualify for one during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry from one.

Will be getting the non-imm O based on marriage to Thai.

1) Can you explain the extension of stay (SE non-O)?  How do you qualify?  Is it difficult?

2) I guess there is no 'trick' to leaving just before the SE non-O expires, coming back, and getting another 60-ish days?

Thanks, this info is greatly appreciated.

Edited by sbaker8688

2 minutes ago, sbaker8688 said:

Will be getting the non-imm O based on marriage to Thai.

1) Can you explain the extension of stay?  How do you qualify?  Is it difficult?

2) I guess there is no 'trick' to leaving just before the SE non-O expires, coming back, and getting another 60-ish days?

Thanks, this info is greatly appreciated.

1. You would need 400k baht in a Thai bank for 2 months or proof of 40k baht income to apply for a one year extension. Not that difficult to apply for one but it takes two 2 trips to immigration since it will be placed under consideration while it is approved at the regional headquarters.

You can also apply for a 60 day extension to visit your wife with any type of entry with no financial proof.

You can apply for a multiple entry non-o based upon marriage in Savannakhet Laos with no financial proof.

2. Not possible to leave and re-enter to get another 60 days without applying  for a visa.

• Like 1

Have you tried TraVisa service in America.  I used them to obtain my 3 entry tourist visa two years ago.  I lived in California but choose the Boston option.  Submitted the needed paperwork and FedExed my passport to them and it was returned in less than 7 days total.  They went to the embassy and was out in 2 hours, everything was tracked down to the minute. I highly recommend this company.  Very fast and efficient.  I hope it all turns out well for you. Good luck.

12 hours ago, jtrump said:

Have you tried TraVisa service in America.  I used them to obtain my 3 entry tourist visa two years ago.  I lived in California but choose the Boston option.  Submitted the needed paperwork and FedExed my passport to them and it was returned in less than 7 days total.  They went to the embassy and was out in 2 hours, everything was tracked down to the minute. I highly recommend this company.  Very fast and efficient.  I hope it all turns out well for you. Good luck.

There is no more 2 or 3 entry visas available anywhere - superceded with the METV which has quite a list of requirements, and has to be applied in your home country (home being permanent residency)