Germany: Mea Culpa from Merkel on migrants after election drubbing

webfact

Germany: Mea Culpa from Merkel on migrants after election drubbing

606x341_344381.jpg

BERLIN: -- German leader Angela Merkel faced the press on Monday after her conservative Christian Democrats (CDU) suffered their worst ever result in Berlin, at local elections, in the latest sign of a backlash against her open door migrant policy.

Declining to say whether she will stand for re-election as Chancellor next year, she also refused to repeat her mantra on the refugee crisis: “We can do this,’ acknowledging that some may have objected to the catchphrase.

“It is a term that states a position and a goal,” Merkel told reporters in the German capital.

“Much has been interpreted from this everyday expression and even secretly interpreted. So much so that… I am hardly inclined to repeat it.”

Sounding the most conciliatory she has in more than a decade in office in a shift away from a previously robust defence of her migrant policy, Merkel said:

“I take my share of the responsibility that lies with me as party chairwoman and chancellor.”

In prepared remarks, she said she would do things differently if she could go back again and prepare better to cope with the influx of around one million migrants who flooded into Germany last year, many of them fleeing conflicts in the Middle East and beyond.

“If I could, I would turn back the time by many, many years,” Merkel said, sounding particularly sombre.

While not the winners of the vote, there were celebrations at the headquarters of the Alternative for Germany (AfD). Voters backed its anti-immigration stance, propelling the party into its 10th regional state legislature.

“The fact that the AfD exists is a symptom of the failure of the traditional parties, who have lost the ability to solve problems,” AfD leader Frauke Petry said.

The AFD came third in Berlin, with 14 percent of the vote, but it is the trend that is interesting.

Both Angela Merkel’s CDU and the winners in Berlin, the centre-left SPD, suffered a significant drop in votes.

At 17.6 percent, the CDU’s score was down from 23.3 percent in the last election in Berlin in 2011.

The second regional election blow for her party this month, it does not bode well for Merkel, Europe’s most powerful leader, with national polls looming in 2017.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-09-20

Aha we all knew it, we all said it again and again. She was destroying Germany, now it has been forever changed and for the worse in every category. Many areas now in German cities are little better than some decrepit African ghetto. Of course there must be a moment when reality sinks in. Just shocking that it took an electoral shaming for the truth to sink into this womans skull. Next step is punishment for her, and a complete reversal of immigration over the last decade or so - and give the country some breathing space again.

This will be a hard task what with all the frothing marxists and lefties, but we are strong and very much "Up for it".

33 minutes ago, jaidam said:

with all the frothing marxists and lefties

There are no marxists and lefties any more. Hitler and Stalin killed them all. Those who call themselves "left" are nothing but rubbish living from tax money, either on the street or in parliaments...

And Angela managed to start transforming secular Germany/Europe into a theocracy, as she was paid for, and now she is looking forward to her retirement within an ocean of tax Euros as pension.

Well done, Angy, very smart...

Mea culpa my eye, she knew very well what she was doing from the get go, but this "righteous angel and a benefactor" of a million fake refugees was willing to suffer to consequences and even fall on her sward if need be so she can be remembered for many years to come as the one who did the good deeds......

It would appear that the message is only partly sinking in

She lamented that the European Union as a whole was failing to recognise the refugee crisis as “a global and a moral challenge”. “What we are seeing in Europe is a realisation that we are no longer leading the field when it comes to globalisation, we are not setting the pace.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/sep/19/angela-merkel-admits-mistakes-asylum-seekers-election

It is perfectly feasible that some Countries within the EU do not share your interpretation of the MIGRANT crisis as a global or a moral challenge. It is also not beyond the realms of possibility that what you see as globalisation others see as an invasion of a culture that they do not want to be invaded by. There is enough evidence worldwide to suggest that this is actually a good policy to have.

Now where did that EU unity and harmony you were talking sh!t about on Friday go ?

1 hour ago, Jack Mountain said:

Their children will .... and if not there's always the army they can join ..

You may not have noticed but the children and grandchildren of muslim immigrants are way more extreme and fanatical than their olders. Most European terror attacks were carried out by youths and second/third generation immigrantsThe "best" muslim immigrants were the 1st wave of them decades ago when they genuinely came looking to work and improve their lot. These days the motive to migrate is far more to do with growing the caliphate and serving the prophet, as well as leeching the free money on offer from loony western governments. We are in for a wild ride that will last until we get strong leadership which puts an end to this nonsense.

There's elections in Germany next year, not sure if Angela Merkel will run again. In order to dump her before, there must be a coalition to get a majority for a successor ("konstruktives Misstrauensvotum") Yet, there's no such successor in sight, so Angela Merkel will probably remain in power. Then, after the elections next there, German first chamber ("Bundestag") will elect the chancellor, normally in a coalition of various parties. And this can take ages.

41 minutes ago, jaidam said:

You may not have noticed but the children and grandchildren of muslim immigrants are way more extreme and fanatical than their olders. Most European terror attacks were carried out by youths and second/third generation immigrantsThe "best" muslim immigrants were the 1st wave of them decades ago when they genuinely came looking to work and improve their lot. These days the motive to migrate is far more to do with growing the caliphate and serving the prophet, as well as leeching the free money on offer from loony western governments. We are in for a wild ride that will last until we get strong leadership which puts an end to this nonsense.

BigCorp don't care ....

Yes, maybe the first wave of migrants were the best for German economy. They came and they integrated. Ever thought why following generations of people with migration background disintegrated again?  They are simply forced to live in parallel societies because they're not accepted anywhere else.  If people don't respect me I don't respect them. Is it that hard to understand?  

Do Germans consider Turks who immigrated décades ago , and their children born in Germany  - bearing german citizenship , as Germans of foreign origin  who integrated well through work  ? Or rather do they see them as Muslims  - not of German culture - therefore, not really Germans ?

4 hours ago, SgtRock said:

It would appear that the message is only partly sinking in

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/sep/19/angela-merkel-admits-mistakes-asylum-seekers-election

It is perfectly feasible that some Countries within the EU do not share your interpretation of the MIGRANT crisis as a global or a moral challenge. It is also not beyond the realms of possibility that what you see as globalisation others see as an invasion of a culture that they do not want to be invaded by. There is enough evidence worldwide to suggest that this is actually a good policy to have.

Now where did that EU unity and harmony you were talking sh!t about on Friday go ?

Perhaps she should have asked all the member EU states for their views, or even the German parliament before taking the decisions herself and then trying to force sorting out the resultant mess on everyone else.

She still refuses to admit she was wrong, change her views, change what she sees as the solution and complains bitterly that others would not just do as she instructed.

As arrogant and self righteous as ever. Just as she is about her desire for a federal EU super state run by her and Juncke.

13 minutes ago, Opl said:

Do Germans consider Turks who immigrated décades ago , and their children born in Germany  - bearing german citizenship , as Germans of foreign origin  who integrated well through work  ? Or rather do they see them as Muslims  - not of German culture - therefore, not really Germans ?

I know many German who are ethnic Turks, who parents or grandparents came as guest workers. All consider themselves German and none want to impose Sharia Law, be ruled by Immans, kill infidels, rape non moslem women or want to see the Islamification of Germany or Europe.

Most are secular in nature and their cultures are very mixed rather than polarized.

The economic migrants currently illegally entering Europe and trying to pick which country they will go to aren't like this.

Perhaps she should have asked all the member EU states for their views, or even the German parliament before taking the decisions herself and then trying to force sorting out the resultant mess on everyone else.

She still refuses to admit she was wrong, change her views, change what she sees as the solution and complains bitterly that others would not just do as she instructed.

As arrogant and self righteous as ever. Just as she is about her desire for a federal EU super state run by her and Juncke.

Especially the countries to Germany's East, whose borders would be crossed.

Sent from my SMART_4G_Speedy_5inch using Tapatalk

Hang on, she knew fairly well that Germany is surrounded by transit states, and she knew fairly well that she'd put the burden on the neighbouring countries when she joined pushing the Dublin contracts for the Schengen era. It was simply not fair, but arrogant Germans don't give a damn about fairness. 

2 hours ago, jaidam said:

I wouldn't necessarily confuse being more radical with acts of terrorism.   Younger people are much more prone to violence than older people.   After the age of 25 there is a decline in the rates of violence.   If the authorities are going to look at who is involved in terrorism.   The propensity to be violent may be stronger than the religious conviction.  

2 minutes ago, Scott said:

I wouldn't necessarily confuse being more radical with acts of terrorism.   Younger people are much more prone to violence than older people.   After the age of 25 there is a decline in the rates of violence.   If the authorities are going to look at who is involved in terrorism.   The propensity to be violent may be stronger than the religious conviction.  

I understand what you are saying and its a valid point but if the methods of expression used by angry young men are those of terrorism and the fight for the cause is religion then these individuals are terrorists.

Angry young men use vandalism. 

Terrorists use bombs and guns and knives.

1 minute ago, ClutchClark said:

I understand what you are saying and its a valid point but if the methods of expression used by angry young men are those of terrorism and the fight for the cause is religion then these individuals are terrorists.

Angry young men use vandalism. 

Terrorists use bombs and guns and knives.

You may understand what I am saying, but I have no idea of what you are talking about.  

I am simply saying that the tendency to be involved in violence is greater when people are younger.   I don't know that they are more religious than their parents or grandparents.