Thailand expects huge jump in tourists, thanks to Chinese

webfact

Thailand expects huge jump in tourists, thanks to Chinese

BANGKOK: -- Tourist arrivals to Thailand are expected to rise 17.8 percent in the last quarter of 2016 year-on-year, the Tourism Council said on Monday, driven mostly by an increase in Chinese visitors.

Tourism accounts for about 10 percent of Thailand's GDP and has been a rare bright spot for Southeast Asia's second-largest economy which has been dragged by sluggish exports and domestic demand.

The forecast comes as Thailand expects to welcome a record 33 million visitors this year.

Full story: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-thailand-tourism-idUSKCN11P15L

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2016-09-20

46 minutes ago, YeahSiam said:

They fit that description more closely than the drunken, low-rent farangs stumbling around Pattaya and parts of Bangkok groping women in public

Wrong. Mostly they bring in a lot of money. They come, they go, usually destitute.

3 hours ago, YeahSiam said:

They fit that description more closely than the drunken, low-rent farangs stumbling around Pattaya and parts of Bangkok groping women in public

Of course, it all depends on your, and mine, idea of what quality tourists are.

That said, the farang category spends money in the local economy, many Thai live on that.

The quality tourists don't really spend much in the local economy.

Most of the income goes to a few, stays in China, but not to the people.

5 hours ago, YeahSiam said:

Oh yes.  Your command of the facts is impressive.  Rare indeed is the farang visitor or expat who isn't drunk & "low-rent" and "stumbling around Pattaya and parts of Bangkok groping women in public".  Whereas, the Chinese are universally known for their quiet, polite, self-effacing, wait-their-turn, supremely considerate & courteous, not to mention spendthrift, manner ...   Certainly it's the Chinese who are the "quality tourists".

Riiiiiiight

Far too many posters here simply don't get it, perhaps that's because they don't actually see it. Well here's a tip, put on some decent clothes and go into any of the five/six star resorts/hotels in the nice parts of town/city and ask the doorman/concierge/front desk what percentage of guests are from China, the answer will likely be upwards of 80%. Then go into the hotel shop and see if the staff there will tell you their stories about well heeled Chinese tourists dropping 200/300k at a time on "stuff" and having the hotel ship it back to their home in China.

Just because you only see the coach tours of Chinese tourists doesn't mean to say there's not another view you don't see, Chinese tourists are spending huge amounts here, far more than I've ever seen Westerners do.

6 hours ago, hawker9000 said:

Oh yes.  Your command of the facts is impressive.  Rare indeed is the farang visitor or expat who isn't drunk & "low-rent" and "stumbling around Pattaya and parts of Bangkok groping women in public".  Whereas, the Chinese are universally known for their quiet, polite, self-effacing, wait-their-turn, supremely considerate & courteous, not to mention spendthrift, manner ...   Certainly it's the Chinese who are the "quality tourists".

Riiiiiiight

The point is, I don't think farangs are in any position to look down on the Chinese.

We're no better and, though it may be painful to admit, Thailand isn't "ours" because we started flocking here before they did.

27 minutes ago, YeahSiam said:

The point is, I don't think farangs are in any position to look down on the Chinese.

We're no better and, though it may be painful to admit, Thailand isn't "ours" because we started flocking here before they did.

Funny. The Chinese were here long before farangs started their mass tourism to Thailand:

"Overseas Chinese.
Thai Chinese consist of people of full or partial Chinese ancestry – particularly Han Chinese. Thailand is home to the largest overseas Chinese community in the world with a population of approximately nine million people, accounting for 14 percent of the Thai population as of 2012".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_Chinese

The Government crackdown on "zero baht tours" and the associated investigation into tour companies catering for the Chinese is currently hitting the tourist numbers.

I don't know what happens to those tourists that have booked with one of the suspended companies; I assume they lose their holiday or the company sends them elsewhere.

This information has come directly from Chinese and Thai tour guides who are also affected, illegal or not, as fewer buses means less work.

And....:

So well established are the Chinese that the Thai army has two divisions of Chinese soldiers, the 96th and 97th I believe. Recruits spend a minimum of two years in the army and thereafter are given Thai ID cards, over the years they have seen active service in a number of areas in Thailand.

2 hours ago, YeahSiam said:

So you can't make your points without making stuff up?  You put generalizing - not to mention political correctness - on steroids!   "Points" made this way are beyond lame.  I don't know any farangs who think Thailand is "theirs", regardless of reason, which has even less to do with Chinese misbehavior, which has been well documented in the social media pretty much back to the point where they started coming.  As always, the apologists try to emotionalize and morph legitimate discussion & comment into a race issue.

Chinese cars volume going into Thailand has been brought close to zero by the government.

Zero dollars tours going on their knees (probably around 20-40% of the Chinese arrivals) by the government...

Conclusion: Expect a jump????

Someone forgot to take medicine? :saai: