Work Permit expires , how about extension of stay?

Hi,

My work permit is about to expire on October 14, and I am not going to continue my contract in my company.

However, the immigration stamped my extension of stay until October 21.

If I let my work permit expire and not cancel it - am I still allowed to stay in Thailand until the 21st? Since the stamp in my passport is 21st.

Thanks

Technically your extension ends on the date you job ends or your work permit expires. But nobody notifies immigration. Since it is only 7 days  you are not likely to have a problem.

If you are leaving the country at a border crossing you might have a problem leaving the country  without a letter from your employer stating the date you job ends.

• 2 months later...

Pbonline hello

i have exactly the same problem, my wp expired tomorrow and my visa on january 27 . i planned to go france for christmas and back to thailand on january

what i have to do about my wp ? i not continue in my company anymore coz i want to move to chiang mai

are you sure we have 7 days to get new visa or new wp after expiration ? coz i cannot contact my employer till next week 

thanks a lot for your reply

On 9/21/2016 at 1:58 PM, pbonline said:

When your wp expires you have 7 days to get new wp or another visa and that is why they stamp 21, so yes you can stay until the 21.

I thought the 7 days was for BOI people and 24hrs for everyone else.

On 12/1/2016 at 5:48 PM, Mtg75 said:

Pbonline hello

i have exactly the same problem, my wp expired tomorrow and my visa on january 27 . i planned to go france for christmas and back to thailand on january

what i have to do about my wp ? i not continue in my company anymore coz i want to move to chiang mai

are you sure we have 7 days to get new visa or new wp after expiration ? coz i cannot contact my employer till next week 

thanks a lot for your reply

Do you have an extension of stay for employment or a visa? if an extension of stay then you have 7 days, if it's a visa then you can stay as your visa is not tied to your work / work permit. 

• 1 year later...
On 9/20/2016 at 11:40 AM, ubonjoe said:

Technically your extension ends on the date you job ends or your work permit expires. But nobody notifies immigration. Since it is only 7 days  you are not likely to have a problem.

If you are leaving the country at a border crossing you might have a problem leaving the country  without a letter from your employer stating the date you job ends.

Hello ubonjoe, i would just like to ask if my friend did overstay or not in this scenario. 

Last year, my friend's WP got expired last September 10,2017 but the visa extension got expired last September 18,2017. He went out on thailand on the 18 and got a new tourist visa. He didn't cancel his WP thinking it is expired already and the officer did not ask anything upon exiting. He came back to TH with tourist visa and is still on tourist visa until now. Now, he is processing his new non.b visa and WP with different employer, the new employer asked for the cancellation letter from the previous employer (under different agency) as a requirement from the immigration. After asking from previous employer, the previous employer then cancelled the wp but they cannot put any date later than the expiration date of the WP (september 10,2017) which is earlier than the date he went out of thailand (september 18,2017). Then the previous agency is asking for 20,000thb saying that he overstayed  from september 11,2017 to date. Did he really overstayed from 9-11-17 to date where in fact he secured tourist visa after exiting on 9-18-17? 

6 minutes ago, Eellee said:

Did he really overstayed from 9-11-17 to date where in fact he secured tourist visa after exiting on 9-18-17? 

He cannot be fined retroactively for an overstay. His stay ended on the date he left the country.

There are some immigration offices that are asking for the termination letter so that extension can be formally canceled. Leaving the country only voids the extension it does not cancel it.

The agency cannot collect the 20k baht fine that is a certainty.

If I recall correctly the fine for not canceling a work permit is a flat fine of 500 baht.

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

He cannot be fined retroactively for an overstay. His stay ended on the date he left the country.

There are some immigration offices that are asking for the termination letter so that extension can be formally canceled. Leaving the country only voids the extension it does not cancel it.

The agency cannot collect the 20k baht fine that is a certainty.

If I recall correctly the fine for not canceling a work permit is a flat fine of 500 baht.

Thank you for your quick response. He actually paid 500baht already for cancelling his WP.