Why do they do it?

cheapskatesam

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, bendejo said:

I occasionally stay in places where most of the crowd are backpackers.  I certainly won't say "all" of them, but it seems in SEA countries lots of the backpackers have a very strong sense of conformity.  And fashion.  I recall conversations on thorntree regarding how uncool it was to deviate from the shorts-tshirt-flipflops uniform.  Seems these elephant pants are replacing fisherman pants.

If nothing else, makes for a better take-home gift than a triangle pillow, easier to pack at least.

Thanks for the idea!  I'm always looking for ideas for presents, never thought of E pants.  I know people who would certainly wear them.

On 9/21/2016 at 0:25 AM, muzmurray said:

On 8th September you posted;

"

I'm about to attempt to live in Thailand for a few months to see how i get on.. i only have a few hundred quid a month as an income so i'll be cheap skating it.

I have figured the cheapest way for me to eat will be cooking rice myself in a rice cooker in whatever apartment room i rent.. and supplement it with some meat or a tin of tuna.

How much is a large sack of rice in Thailand these days?"

I think the chances of you dating a HiSo Thai are pretty damn slim.

:-)

555 - Nice one - What a pretentious <deleted> he is-

7 hours ago, Gillyflower said:

and some are very pretty.  I personally don't like them and wouldn't be seen in them.  However I know a few people of a certain age,  NOT backpackers  who wear them all the time.

I agree with all that and understand it-but why the elephant pattern? 

On 9/20/2016 at 11:09 PM, cheapskatesam said:

When i want to make a good impression and potentially go to bed with a HiSo Chinese-Thai high ranking government official daughter i wear jeans in nightclubs

You must really stand out in a nightclub, everyone else is wearing designer suits and dresses and you are wearing a pair of jeans !!!!!

During the day,a pair of shorts,but about knee length and usually a brand name like Lee or Dickies.A plain T shirt,I'm too old for silly logo's,and a pair of trainers or flip flops.At night time,a two tone Tommy Nutter Tonic Mohair suite(material by Dormeul Frears) a nice white or blue Ben Sherman shirt. A pair of LLoyd rRght Loafers or a pair of Sacha smooth tops or brougues.And lashings of Eau Savage or boss.

Now ask me what generation i am from,or is there anybody out there who already knows.

Yeah Right.:biggrin:

14 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

During the day,a pair of shorts,but about knee length and usually a brand name like Lee or Dickies.A plain T shirt,I'm too old for silly logo's,and a pair of trainers or flip flops.At night time,a two tone Tommy Nutter Tonic Mohair suite(material by Dormeul Frears) a nice white or blue Ben Sherman shirt. A pair of LLoyd rRght Loafers or a pair of Sacha smooth tops or brougues.And lashings of Eau Savage or boss.

Now ask me what generation i am from,or is there anybody out there who already knows.

Yeah Right.:biggrin:

Born in 1960 ?

I don't see the problem. I know I see a lot of tourists wearing them but they are tourists. They've traveled a few thousand miles to an exotic country and buy them because they are fashionable as they haven't seen them on sale in the UK(or wherever they are from). Also if they are going to temples they need to keep themselves covered so these trousers are a good way to do that and stay cool. I'm just glad to see that they are enjoying their holidays, like I did when I first came here.

WOW! I bet you're a barrel of laughs at parties

Obviously a heinous crime, worthy of at least 5 years in the pen  

Actually...

If it was the cheapest most comfortable thing around, I'd wear a sequin tutu, and to hell with what the old moaners thought

Edited by grumbleweed

22 hours ago, MrJohnson said:

Plenty of fashion faux pas around - why stop at elephant pants - Beer Lao wife beater singlets - in fact any beer singlet, Vietnamese rice farmer hats, isaan pakomah, ....... and on it goes. One man's versace is another man's walmart - or something like that.

5555,you got me.Here i am in Nha Trang having a 16 baht beer and just bought a Viet hat.I also have on Bali boardies and Bir Chang singlet.I am an international slob and nobody bats an eyelid.

sanemax

You are close,geezer,very close.

lets see now,desmond decker was singing the isrealites.Sam and dave were singing,hols on i'm coming.Amphetermines were the craze.The play to see was the Rocky Horror show at the kings road theatre.The night club was upstairs at Ronnies in Wardour street.The movie was quadraphenia,and i had a jag series 3 with a 4.2 straight 6.

I know the years are a bit spasmodic,but they were great days.

On 9/20/2016 at 4:54 PM, Upnotover said:

Yes, they really ought to follow the expat standard approved attire.....

Image result for old git expat sandals

Must be a Brit or Aussie, no self respecting American would be caught dead wearing socks with sandle's

Must be a Brit or Aussie, no self respecting American would be caught dead wearing socks with sandle's

From wiki...

Socks and sandals is a regular Pacific Northwest phenomenon.[14][15][16] Seattle based insurance company PEMCO used the "Sandals & Socks Guy" character as part of a 2007 advertising campaign that portrayed this as a typically Pacific Northwest fashion.[17][18] The Daily Dot highlighted "sandals and socks" as a term entered into a web search engine more often by Washingtonians than residents of any other state.[19]

2 minutes ago, JJGreen said:

From wiki...

Socks and sandals is a regular Pacific Northwest phenomenon.[14][15][16] Seattle based insurance company PEMCO used the "Sandals & Socks Guy" character as part of a 2007 advertising campaign that portrayed this as a typically Pacific Northwest fashion.[17][18] The Daily Dot highlighted "sandals and socks" as a term entered into a web search engine more often by Washingtonians than residents of any other state.[19]

No, no, no.  Average lows 6 months a year is 1 degree Celsius.   Think Rockport and Timberland.  

On 9/20/2016 at 11:56 PM, ukrules said:

I normally just wear a pair of jeans or khaki type trousers.

For some reason I don't feel the need to dress any differently based on my current geographic location.

you would if you were up everest

On 9/21/2016 at 5:28 AM, Aussieroaming said:

Got to admit I gag when i see those baggy pants, but then again the socks and sandle brigade isnt flattering either. But to be fair i reckon the baggy pans would be comfortable and light, so they actually are practical.

I now appoint myself as a member of the socks and sandles brigade. But may I point out I never wear shorts.

6 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Nothing wrong with the socks and sandles, it's what's above them, yes I know, I'm in a very small minority.

Haha I laughed when I read this about the pyjama brigade. I traveled to Pai last year and they were in full swing there but can't say it bothered me. They seemed a happy lot and I was happy in my shorts, t-shirt and jandels which I live in unless visiting somewhere that requires something a little more conservative

OMG! You sound like an old biddy. I suppose I can only wear what you approve ? Get a life.

Wars are started when people believe only they know the TRUTH!

Please post your normal attire so we can comment. I am sure we will all agree you have perfect fashion sense.

Enjoy your day!