Thai defamation verdict a setback in anti-slavery fight, say activists

webfact

The worldwide publicity that the verdict in this case has attracted to workers' rights issues in Thailand couldn't have been envisaged by Andy Hall in his wildest dreams. Well done Natural Fruit Company Ltd! Your reward is that you will now be put out of business by western companies refusing to deal with you. Som nam na.

On 9/21/2016 at 3:29 PM, bark said:

While I am against the idea of poor treatment of anyone. I would say that the USA treats Mexicans like slaves. And in the UK, and other EU countries, treat people from Poland and the old Russian Block countries; are treated the same way.

Low pay ; 6-8 people in one room. Etc. Etc.

What about China, India ?? Indian girls getting raped by 3-4 guys; and the government doesn't care !

The spot light is on Thailand because reporters love to come here. Weather, food, entertainment etc etc.

Let them report on Vietnam, China, India. They will not go.

"treat people from Poland and the old Russian Block countries; are treated the same way.

Low pay ; 6-8 people in one room. Etc. Etc."

CRAP, plasterers decorators, builders etc u name it they do it and do it well and it certainly isnt cheap in the way "slave workers" in Thailand get paid, not by a long way.

20 hours ago, timewilltell said:

Sadly Thailand has a warped conxept when it comes to their laws. The people involved do not understand the centuries of refinements based on sound principles of justice because they have no understanding of those principles at all. This is the result of copying and pasting bits of law systems from Gernany France and the UK and then messing them altogether without any understanding of what they are doing or having a general set of principles to guide them

The same thing is going on with the constitution, mired in petty detail with no common thread of basic principles and seeking to serve the self interests of those in power.  Of course it is dooned to failure yet again. They would do far better having a constitution based on a set of fundamental principles and holding all laws proposed to those principles. At least the ordinary Thai might have some understanding of those principles rather than hundreds of clauses of double speak they are presented with and really can't be bothered to read as they know it is all BS.

Criminal laws are laws made to tackle types of crime which have an impact on the state and society as a whole. Civil laws are meant to manage dusputes of a more personal contractual nature. How then one must ask oneself does reporting on the abuse of migrant labour by a private company affect the state or society? In fact how does defamation of anyone constitute a crime against society as a whole? It is only words, nothimg to do with state secrets and solely to do with money- in other words a civil matter. The criminal defamation law is a nonsense and regularly abused.

The other weird fact is that criminal defamation cases - well any criminal case - can be privately brought. This is wrong since the criminal laws are supposed to be against society, society through the public prosecutor should be bringing those cases not any ass who wants to gain some leverage for monetary gain. The whole sysyem is a $&$€ up.

Thanks for that post, you obviously know what you are talking about and it's refreshing on this Forum ...

Of course we also need to ask ourselves why so many non Western countries ended up aping laws, constitutions and systems which suit them about as well as a bishop's hat on the head of a football player.

On 21/09/2016 at 4:29 PM, bark said:

While I am against the idea of poor treatment of anyone. I would say that the USA treats Mexicans like slaves. And in the UK, and other EU countries, treat people from Poland and the old Russian Block countries; are treated the same way.

Low pay ; 6-8 people in one room. Etc. Etc.

What about China, India ?? Indian girls getting raped by 3-4 guys; and the government doesn't care !

The spot light is on Thailand because reporters love to come here. Weather, food, entertainment etc etc.

Let them report on Vietnam, China, India. They will not go.

Um, guess what, we know all countries have problem BUT this is about Thailand, how about keeping on subject, I know, for some, it can be hard, but try.

10 hours ago, Johpa said:

Oh my.  Most of the casual labor standing outside of Home Depot are "illegals" willing to do hard manual labor, but certainly not for minimum wage.  Most restaurant workers are working long days for minimum wage and minimum wages in most of the US are ridiculously low, but apply to "illegals" as well as to citizens.  But all of this is far from slavery apart from a metaphorical use of the word.  But I think that the US political economy treats all labor as second class citizens. Just look at the tax system that taxes labor before a worker even receives a paycheck yet unearned income is taxed quarterly at best. It  just doesn't add up to the slavery you can still find in South Asia or Southeast Asia that can be found in the fishing fleets or the brothels, regions where these is absolutely no political movements to increase minimum wage.

And where do I find these Mexican hookers? I am getting so tired of white trailer trash meth addicts.

Haha, Try any Mexican Restaurant.