Here Is An Example Of One Of Pattaya's Finest Citizens.

pistonpilot

What kind of person are you?  

65 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

tough question.

If you don't have any money you will go to jail if you stop.

If you stop and the person is dead it will take about 500K to get out of it.

If you don't have the money and go to court you will serve a sentence for manslaughter in a Thai prison!

Your insurance doesn't cover manslaughter.

If the person is injured and you stop you will pay medical expenses and lost wages for that person. If they are disabled by the accident...bigger doo doo!

1st class insurance will cover some.

Drive carefully out there.

If you're smart along with insurance you should retain a Thai lawyer just in case.

who knows if you would get the shaft from the cops or not, but you'd never live with yourself if you took off.

i wonder how many pedestrians are hit in this country. thai's have a habit of not slowing down one bit when nearing pedestrians. i swear ive even seen them speed up. they plow through, grazing bystanders. you are expected to run and jump out of the way.

what thai value is that?

You're right kasi, this one is a real toughie. People have said that fleeing the scene and retaining a lawyer later on is preferable to stopping and going through the usual motions as one would in the West. Many believe if you don't flee, you stand to face something much worse than a damaged conscience.

I, and I think most of us, would like to think we'd do the right thing and stop and take the consequences particularly if the pedestrian was alive but injured. However in the heat of the moment on a deserted road, no witnesses, pants filling with sh1t who can truthfully say what they'd do.

IMO as a poll the results are, at best, deceptive as it's a hypothetical question and a choice we all hope like hel_l we never have to make. :o

I, and I think most of us, would like to think we'd do the right thing and stop and take the consequences particularly if the pedestrian was alive but injured. However in the heat of the moment on a deserted road, no witnesses, pants filling with sh1t who can truthfully say what they'd do.

IMO as a poll the results are, at best, deceptive as it's a hypothetical question and a choice we all hope like hel_l we never have to make. :o

A lot of times pedestrians and motorcyclists can be at fault but are protected by law - so the motorists must pay for other peoples errors.

I didn't vote because I don't know what I'd do...

There is no real law here. Now I come from the USA and there is no real law there either, but it is at least a bit more consistent. Where else can one go to get police help and also get robbed, than at a thai police station?

Actually your legal rights here are about the same as the USA. In both cases you need a lawyer to walk you though it. It's just a little cheaper to get out of trouble here. A good lawyer here costs around 3000baht an hour as opposed to five times that in the USA.

tough question.

If you don't have any money you will go to jail if you stop.

If you stop and the person is dead it will take about 500K to get out of it.

If you don't have the money and go to court you will serve a sentence for manslaughter in a Thai prison!

Your insurance doesn't cover manslaughter.

If the person is injured and you stop you will pay medical expenses and lost wages for that person. If they are disabled by the accident...bigger doo doo!

1st class insurance will cover some.

Drive carefully out there.

If you're smart along with insurance you should retain a Thai lawyer just in case.

Also what if its not even your fault and the person just steps out in front of the car, you could be blamed even if its not your fault.