Which Visa Should I Get ?

Hi 

I am now in the fortunate position of being able to visit Thailand as often as i want. I plan to visit 4 times per year, 28 or 29 days each visit never more than 30, no extensions or "visa runs"required. The months will be February, May, August and November each year for the next few years.

I am a UK citizen, i am not married to a Thai, or retired in Thailand or in education there, or working there.  I really shall be only visiting for the purpose of a holiday/tourism.  

Considering the amount,  frequency and lengths of my holidays what visa would be best to suit my needs please ?

Thanks in advance,

All the best....

If you aren't staying longer that 30 days and have return flights booked you should be ok with using Visa Exempt Entries (30 days), however, Immigration might eventually ask you to get a Tourist Visa.

Note that day 1 of the 30 is the day you arrive.

Single Entry Tourist Visas (60 days) are easy to get in the UK in person at the Embassy/Consulates, or by post from the Embassy in London.

Edited by elviajero

Just a further thought on this, assuming i have eventually been asked to get a Tourist Visa ....do you think that i will then always be required to get one, or could you possibly revert back to visa exempt after a few Tourist Visa entries ?...

The reason, (like most people i guess) i prefer Visa Exempt is that it requires no effort....!

2 hours ago, Putmak said:

Just a further thought on this, assuming i have eventually been asked to get a Tourist Visa ....do you think that i will then always be required to get one, or could you possibly revert back to visa exempt after a few Tourist Visa entries ?...

The reason, (like most people i guess) i prefer Visa Exempt is that it requires no effort....!

There is a good chance that you'll get questioned at some point about your visits, but in your case I would say it's unlikely until you've 6+ entries. Even if they ask you to get a Tourist Visa for the next trip you could probably still enter again using Visa Exempt Entry. It doesn't seem like a hard and fast rule/request. But when/if they ask you it's a good idea to get one for the next visit and you could revert to Visa Exempt Entries after that.

It appears that you're looking for whatever is the least amount of hassle.  If you "know" with any certainty that you'll never be here for over 30 days then I agree with most of the posters. 

However, if you might want to be here more than 30 days then your hassle free choice can become a big hassle.  A major factor is how easy is it for you to go to the Thai Embassy in the UK, only you know that.  I'm going to assume that Brits are offered the same "90 day" tourist visa that is offered to Americans, which is actually a 60 day visa plus a trip to Thai Immigration for the other 30 days.

If it is relatively easy for you to go to the Thai embassy you might want to consider a retirement visa (Non-Immigrant O-A) this is the least hassle once you get the visa. It "can" grant you up to two years of being in Thailand.  After one year you would have to get a "re-entry" permit. 

• Like 1

On 9/22/2016 at 6:07 AM, JXCutter said:

It appears that you're looking for whatever is the least amount of hassle.  If you "know" with any certainty that you'll never be here for over 30 days then I agree with most of the posters. 

However, if you might want to be here more than 30 days then your hassle free choice can become a big hassle.  A major factor is how easy is it for you to go to the Thai Embassy in the UK, only you know that.  I'm going to assume that Brits are offered the same "90 day" tourist visa that is offered to Americans, which is actually a 60 day visa plus a trip to Thai Immigration for the other 30 days.

If it is relatively easy for you to go to the Thai embassy you might want to consider a retirement visa (Non-Immigrant O-A) this is the least hassle once you get the visa. It "can" grant you up to two years of being in Thailand.  After one year you would have to get a "re-entry" permit. 

....yep for now its only 28 or 29 days per visit, 4 times a year.  But when the time comes it shall be the retirement visa for sure... 

Thanks for the reply....