Overstay Or Tourist Visa For Child

Just curious as to what the collective wisdom here is regarding my daughter's visa into Thailand this summer. She will be staying about 33 days, just a few days over the free 30 day tourist visa given upon arrival. Should we just pay the overstay charges at Don Muang when she returns or pay up front a larger sum, after adding mailing fees and photos, for a 60 day tourist visa from a consulate?

Happy Trails

Johpa

Get a tourist visa from a consulate beforehand. The cost wont be much more than the 600THB she'll be charged at immigration for 3 days overstay. Small price to pay for peace of mind. She may also have problems at immigration on arrival if her onward flight is later than the 30 days she can get without a visa.

Just curious as to what the collective wisdom here is regarding my daughter's visa into Thailand this summer. She will be staying about 33 days, just a few days over the free 30 day tourist visa given upon arrival. Should we just pay the overstay charges at Don Muang when she returns or pay up front a larger sum, after adding mailing fees and photos, for a 60 day tourist visa from a consulate?

Happy Trails

Johpa

What is her age and nationality ?

Just curious as to what the collective wisdom here is regarding my daughter's visa into Thailand this summer.  She will be staying about 33 days, just a few days over the free 30 day tourist visa given upon arrival.  Should we just pay the overstay charges at Don Muang when she returns or pay up front a larger sum, after adding mailing fees and photos, for a 60 day tourist visa from a consulate?

Happy Trails

Johpa

don't overstay which will be a fine and stamp in her passport. keep her legal as there won't be any overstay fees if you get a tourist visa from a thai consulate as that will allow a stay of 60 days.

Just curious as to what the collective wisdom here is regarding my daughter's visa into Thailand this summer.  She will be staying about 33 days, just a few days over the free 30 day tourist visa given upon arrival.  Should we just pay the overstay charges at Don Muang when she returns or pay up front a larger sum, after adding mailing fees and photos, for a 60 day tourist visa from a consulate?

Happy Trails

Johpa

She is only 12, a US citizen, traveling with her Thai mother. I estimate total expenses for a tourist visa from a local consulate to be around 1,600TB after all expenses here stateside. One use to be able to get a 7 day extension on a 30 day tourist visa at Thai immigration offices, but I do not know if that is still an option or what the cost of such an extension would be. Alas, it has been almost 15 years since I was on first name basis with the folks at immgration in Chiang Mai and I no longer have any personal contacts there and be able to jump to the front of the line, so to speak, as I once was able to do. Look, I know it is all a bit much over a trifling amount, but a penny saved is a penny earned. : )

Happy Trails

Johpa

Happy Trails

Johpa

She is only 12, a US citizen, traveling with her Thai mother. I estimate total expenses for a tourist visa from a local consulate to be around 1,600TB after all expenses here stateside. One use to be able to get a 7 day extension on a 30 day tourist visa at Thai immigration offices, but I do not know if that is still an option or what the cost of such an extension would be. Alas, it has been almost 15 years since I was on first name basis with the folks at immgration in Chiang Mai and I no longer have any personal contacts there and be able to jump to the front of the line, so to speak, as I once was able to do. Look, I know it is all a bit much over a trifling amount, but a penny saved is a penny earned. : )

Happy Trails

Johpa

The airline may well refuse to carry her without an outbound ticket within 30 days of arrival. I'd just get a tourist visa in the US of A, and let the kid breathe easy. There has to be more to life than the 20 odd bucks fee.