Is it possible to be denied boarding from France to Thailand if you don't have a return ticket

Hi, a friend of mine if supposed to visit me soon, I wonder if he can have boarding issues from Paris because he don't have a return ticket.
I ask that because one time, in Paris too, I was asked to show my visa prior to get my boarding pass (Which I had, so I didn't asked what would have happened if not)

Any experiences about that ?

If that matters, my friend is a genuine tourist, but he had 1 visa exempt, and 1 visa run (tourist visa or exemption I don't really know), both of them dated 4 years ago,

Cheers
Flo

Yes it is possible that the airline will refuse boarding unless your friend has a visa or an onward ticket dated within 30 days of arrival. The airline should accept a ticket to anywhere so he could by a cheap throwaway ticket if required.

• Like 2

it is and always has been a requirement under immigration policy when expecting to enter using visa exempt option.

Due to thailands previous leniency flight carriers didn't bother much but for some while now immigration have been enforcing this more so flight carriers do more checking too.

friend of mine who should know better got through to swampy & had sort a ticket before immigration if wanted get get stamped in .

Plent simple options for ticket doc so best sort one if want no hassle & not be stuck in situation where need buy expensive ticket with minimal payment options .

Edited by BuckBee

One can ask for a waiver of airline's responsibility to haul your friends ars back to France, if denied entry to the Kingdom. After legally acknowledging that he will have to organize his return upon denial of entry, he will be permitted boarding.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, jabis said:

One can ask for a waiver of airline's responsibility to haul your friends ars back to France, if denied entry to the Kingdom. After legally acknowledging that he will have to organize his return upon denial of entry, he will be permitted boarding.

Regardless of what is signed the airline are still responsible for returning the passenger. Some airlines will the passenger to sign an agreement to pay the costs of the flight back.

3 minutes ago, elviajero said:

Regardless of what is signed the airline are still responsible for returning the passenger. Some airlines will the passenger to sign an agreement to pay the costs of the flight back.

True, but it isn't mandatorily the next flight out, if a waiver is signed, meanwhile the customer stays airside in holding upon his own expense.

This question comes up so often. Answer is YES he can be refuses by the airline. Won't be by immigration at airport in los. Simple solution. If refused, simply book ticket online with your cell. Cheap options with carrier like AA would be places like Saigon, Vientiane etc. Most likely under 1400 baht. Job done

Thats happen to me one time in CDG airport.
I was on my return fly from thailand.
After some discussion, they have ask me to go to make a photocopie of my passport, then they have make me sign a paper stating that i will cover by myself the cost of a return fly to paris, if Immigration in Thailand refused to let me in.
I have had no problem to enter on a 30 day exemption visa,

You need to have either a return ticket or a valid visa.  It's the law here.  Most airlines enforce this, some don't.  The ones who don't tend to be LCCs based here in Asia.

I'm always asked to show my visa if I don't have a return ticket.  One time, I didn't have one for the Philippines.  I had to buy a return ticket on the spot, or I couldn't go.

It's not worth the risk.  Get a visa before leaving.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, craigt3365 said:

You need to have either a return ticket or a valid visa.  It's the law here.  Most airlines enforce this, some don't.  The ones who don't tend to be LCCs based here in Asia.

I'm always asked to show my visa if I don't have a return ticket.  One time, I didn't have one for the Philippines.  I had to buy a return ticket on the spot, or I couldn't go.

It's not worth the risk.  Get a visa before leaving.

14 people all giving you the same answer should just about wrap it up.

• Like 2

No airline ask me for an return ticket or an visa. I fly already to Bangkok from the following airports:

- Spain (Mallorca)

- Greece (Athens)

- Austria (Vienna)

- Cambodia (Phnom Penh)

- Germany (Frankfurt)

used Airlines

- AirAsia

- Thai Airways

- Etihad

- Norwegian

- Austrian

It's interesting that so many people are asked for an return ticket or an visa.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, sandgroper2 said:

14 people all giving you the same answer should just about wrap it up.

Many said it's possible.  I'm staying don't take the chance as 99% of the time, you'll get rejected.  At least from Europe.  KL is a different story.

It's just not worth the risk.

7 minutes ago, ZenoBresson said:

No airline ask me for an return ticket or an visa. I fly already to Bangkok from the following airports:

- Spain (Mallorca)

- Greece (Athens)

- Austria (Vienna)

- Cambodia (Phnom Penh)

- Germany (Frankfurt)

used Airlines

- AirAsia

- Thai Airways

- Etihad

- Norwegian

- Austrian

It's interesting that so many people are asked for an return ticket or an visa.

germany - frankfurt - thai airways - business class... they did ask and demanded. lucky i had my 'nok air' to somewhere ready to allow the check - in dude to press the 'yes' box

1 minute ago, Emster23 said:

If true, it is stupid. Ever hear of trains, dear airlines and others? Like fly into Thailand, work way down to Singapore, and then who knows where? Australia? India?

It may be 'stupid' but it is perfectly reasonable from the airline's point of view - and it is airlines that take the initiative in this matter. They most definitely do not want the responsibility and cost of repatriating a penniless national to their own country.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jabis said:

What you are referring to is a form indemnifying the airline against financial losses they experience should you be denied entry. These include not only the cost of return to your origin, but also any fines the airline is assessed for failing to enforce immigration conditions for bringing you to Thailand. It is up to the airline whether they will accept your guarantee. In my experience, they will if you look prosperous, and the airline supervisor assesses the risk of your being denied entry as low.

5 minutes ago, manfredtillmann said:

germany - frankfurt - thai airways - business class... they did ask and demanded. lucky i had my 'nok air' to somewhere ready to allow the check - in dude to press the 'yes' box

I fly 2 times from FFM to BKK with Thai - nobody ask me, nobody check it ...

7 minutes ago, BritTim said:

What you are referring to is a form indemnifying the airline against financial losses they experience should you be denied entry. These include not only the cost of return to your origin, but also any fines the airline is assessed for failing to enforce immigration conditions for bringing you to Thailand. It is up to the airline whether they will accept your guarantee. In my experience, they will if you look prosperous, and the airline supervisor assesses the risk of your being denied entry as low.

My first language is not english, so at times I lose some words - but yes, exactly that form I was trying to articulate :) Had to fill it a couple of times on my journeys, never got denied entry, so don't know how costly it could get should it happen on my account :)

Edited by jabis
typos

In 84-5 I flew first to Korea, then Thailand. Went to "bucket shop" to load up on more tix (they were cheaper than buying in USA then). On to Nepal, Sri Lanka, India, then Singapore, Bali, Java, back to Singapore, train up thru Malaysia with stops, and back to Bangkok. On to Japan then back to USA.  Seems if there was some sanity here, they might just want to check if you do have funds to get out of the country.... I could walk across border from Cambodia with only $100 in my pocket no problem, but to me requiring return ticket is a poor solution.

On 9/21/2016 at 9:31 PM, IMA_FARANG said:

Yes it is possible, but it has nothing directly to do with Thai immigration.

It is a policy that is determined by the AIRLINES.

Some airlines will refuse to let you board due to airline  policy if you do not have either a Thai visa or a ticket out of Thailand after your visa exempt 30 day entry expires/

It is the airline that usually requests this....whether or not you are asked to show a  thai visa or an omwrd ticket out of Thailand  based on their understanding of IATA travel rules.Not all airlines will ask, but some will, and they are seletive with who they ask.

The younger "backpacker'  type passengers  ae often the ones who are asked to show a tivket out of Thailand out of thailand or a visa to enter Thailand before being allowed to board thw plane.

Actually it IS Thai Immigration Regulation that say that one must have a visa to enter Thailand, or if a national of any of the countries that can enjoy a visa exempt, one must have a return or onward ticket. BTW - no where does it say that the onward / return ticket must be dated for under 30 days. THAT'S wrong interpretation of airlines' staff...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Emster23 said:

In 84-5 I flew first to Korea, then Thailand. Went to "bucket shop" to load up on more tix (they were cheaper than buying in USA then). On to Nepal, Sri Lanka, India, then Singapore, Bali, Java, back to Singapore, train up thru Malaysia with stops, and back to Bangkok. On to Japan then back to USA.  Seems if there was some sanity here, they might just want to check if you do have funds to get out of the country.... I could walk across border from Cambodia with only $100 in my pocket no problem, but to me requiring return ticket is a poor solution.

I'd suppose walking thru all of those countries with that 100 bill in your pocket would be harder than booking a one way flight, no?

IATA's rules which carriers oblige to, for diplomatic reasons :)

EDIT: doesn't differ much from maritime rules either - captain and ultimately the carrier - are penalized if "stowaways" are found onboard without proper documentation

Edited by jabis
addendum