Zika in Bangkok. How bad is it ?

Cook my sock

Really hard to get a real picture of the dangers of contracting it. They say it's a different strain but is it any different in reality?

We know how vague and economical with the truth the government can be. 200 cases, 100 in the last few weeks it seems.

as we are are currently trying for a baby, the chances of contracting it double if you are a couple. My wife said let's wait.. although I guess we can get tested.. but will it only get worse next year?

Zika has been endemic throughout Asia, Africa and Latin America for many, many years (documentation for SE Asia goes back more than 60 years). Most cases don't even know they have it.

The South American strain of the virus differs from the Asian strain and to date it is only the South American strain that has been linked to birth defects. The virus arrived in S. America more recently and appears to have mutated when it did so, whereas it has been present in Africa and Asia for many decades.

" Human Zika virus infection appears to have changed in character while expanding its geographical range. The change is from an endemic, mosquito-borne infection causing mild illness across equatorial Africa and Asia, to an infection causing, from 2007 onwards, large outbreaks, and from 2013 onwards, outbreaks linked with neurological disorders including Guillain-Barré syndrome and microcephaly across the Pacific region and the Americas. "

http://www.who.int/bulletin/online_first/16-171082/en/

There is at present no need to be concerned as Zika in SE Asia is a very mild disease that is not known to have an adverse effect during pregnancy. 

OP get on with your life, obviously take care of the health of both of you and deal with mosquitoes in the usual way,  your wife can be checked at the usual intervals during her pregnancy.

Dengue fever is the one to careful of and l wouldn't wish it on anyone .

Sadly, this virus will create a situation where the diminished cranial size will prove that size no longer matters.

Zika babies will, if in the right set of circumstance. Be allowed to set precedent in very important matters.

On the positive side. Many will enjoy reading of there exploits for decades.

The difference with Zika today vs past strains is that it has resulted in very real mental/physical impairments of newborn babies, primarily in S America.  

Now  there is evidence that current strain of Zika is spread not only by mosquitos but can also be transmitted through sex and other bodily fluids.

Zika is now spreading through SE Asia and even highly developed Singapore.  The social implications are huge for increasing number of newborns afflicted with microcephaly.

10 hours ago, Cook my sock said:

Also here  http://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-zika-thailand-idUSKCN11X0OO

This is indeed worrying. If it is confirmed then these may be the first cases of Zika-associated microcephaly in the Asia/Pacific region.

But I don't see how it suggests a "cover-up" when it was publically announced by the Minister of Public Health?

The Ministry of Public Health is not claiming that. They said it was ruled out in two cases but another two cases are still under investigation.

The Zika virus will only show up in blood test during the acute illness, but antibodies form within a week and, as far as is known,  remain for life. 

The 2 cases still under investigation showed antibodies to a family of viruses which includes Zika but also includes Dengue and some other things, now more antibody tests need to be run specifically  for the Zika antibodies. Those tests are new and costly and I am not sure they have them in country, might have to send the specimens abroad.

Swine flu, bird flu, SARS, ... Zika...
What will be the next hysteria?
Dog flu? shock1.gif

Personally,
I think it's a walk in the park compared to H.I.V - that's Real Hysteria so relax .....,

TAT will have it covered soon with their computer virus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk