Cheapest 3g "dumb" phone to replace old 2G flip phone ?

BKKdreaming

Hui

it looks like my old 2G Motorola flip phone  will not be working soon ,

So what is the cheapest unlocked 3G   "dumb" phone I can buy ?

it just needs to call and text ,    I will use it in other countries so it needs to be carrier unlocked

I have a larger Phone-tablet  but it is  really too big sometimes to carry around and not look stupid  ( other times I do not care ;) )

thanks for your ideas

Many, many, of all makes and models.  Just visit your local mall/market where all the small vendors set up their stalls to sell mobile phones.  So, so many to chooce from in all prices ranges from under Bt1000 to around Bt30000.   I would avoid the HiSo stores within malls as they usually just sell mid or high priced well known brand name mobile phones like Samsung, Apple, etc.   Since you want to go low end/really low cost, you probably need to buy from a small vendor as they have a wide selection.  

Of course if you don't mind spending a bit more, and you still like the feel of the flip-phones, you could try the new Galaxy Folder 2.

galaxy-folder-2-2.jpeg

This 3.8 inch screen offers a WVGA LCD display with a resolution of 800 x 480, whilst internally the device boasts 2GB RAM and is powered by a Snapdragon 425 processor.

It also has 16GB of internal storage which can be expanded to 128GB with the use of a microSD card.

The rear camera is an 8MP affair with the front ‘selfie’ camera being 5MP.

The battery is 1950mAh and Samsung boast that this will last for 318 hours, but only on standby.

At the minute it is only being released to the China market but you might be able to get it from an online outlet. I actually wouldn't mind getting one of these as a backup phone.

(Copied from an article in the TV Tech section except for the last line)

OK, can you guys recommend a phone for us old folks that is easy-to-use and will keep us from "butt dailing" our friends?  It's the real pits when the phone carriers here phase out of 2G and force us to upgrade to phones that have touch screens and no buttons.

I can't tell you how many times I receive calls from friends who have no idea they've called me and then I get to listen to their daily activites.  TMI!

Get a smartphone and use Facetime, Messenger or Line to call for free. If it's a landline you're calling use Google Voice through a VPN.

If you absolutely must get a phone that sucks, get a Nokia 105. The battery lasts forever, so you almost never need to recharge.

Edited by BudRight

7 hours ago, NancyL said:

OK, can you guys recommend a phone for us old folks that is easy-to-use and will keep us from "butt dailing" our friends?  It's the real pits when the phone carriers here phase out of 2G and force us to upgrade to phones that have touch screens and no buttons.

I can't tell you how many times I receive calls from friends who have no idea they've called me and then I get to listen to their daily activites.  TMI!

Nancy, recommend to your friends to put a 'swipe lock' on their phones. i had to do that with the first smartphone i ever got for the very reason of "butt dialing" and i have continued to do it.

IMO, smartphones are probably easier to use for the elderly (once used to them) but likely need a slightly bigger screen....................;)

Do a Google for:  quad band cell phones

PC Magazine says:  "f you're looking for an international roaming phone, the key is to make sure it has quad-band (850/900/1800/1900MHz) GSM and 2100MHz 3G. That will make sure it works in most countries outside the U.S. If you want U.S. and Canadian compatibility as well, look for tri-band (850/1900/2100MHz) 3G. A few of the phones on our list even have LTE, for the ultimate in Internet speeds and hotspot use. And some of them (bonus!) allow two SIM cards, so you can keep your U.S. SIM card to receive calls, but use a foreign SIM for data and outbound calls."

18 hours ago, chrisinth said:

Of course if you don't mind spending a bit more, and you still like the feel of the flip-phones, you could try the new Galaxy Folder 2.

galaxy-folder-2-2.jpeg

This 3.8 inch screen offers a WVGA LCD display with a resolution of 800 x 480, whilst internally the device boasts 2GB RAM and is powered by a Snapdragon 425 processor.

It also has 16GB of internal storage which can be expanded to 128GB with the use of a microSD card.

The battery is 1950mAh and Samsung boast that this will last for 318 hours, but only on standby.

At the minute it is only being released to the China market but you might be able to get it from an online outlet. I actually wouldn't mind getting one of these as a backup phone.

Nice find !! exactly what my wife wants. she just 'blew' 999 baht on an unlocked TRUE phone - only to find that it drains the battery overnight (shes been through 2 such phones, same experience with both, despite having batteries replaced). if you see this one available in Thailand, would you mind to post here/PM me.? Thanks. Incidentally, where does the term ''in the minute'' come from? The only place I have heard it before is in Ireland.

I don't want to sound rude so please don't misunderstand... but why do you request a "dumb" phone?  As they age they're almost more expensive than low level smart phones.  Is there a particular reason you want something downgraded?

25 minutes ago, JeffreyO said:

I don't want to sound rude so please don't misunderstand... but why do you request a "dumb" phone?  As they age they're almost more expensive than low level smart phones.  Is there a particular reason you want something downgraded?

For me......  I want one I can drop many times like my old Motorola flip phone ,  I want one with buttons to push ,

I want it to close so i do not "butt call" , and when I open it after it rings I am connected , no more buttons to push !

I want long battery life if I am not talking ,

I do have another phone / tablet to use for internet stuff  ,  but  most of the time I have my flip phone  for calls and texts,

and I doubt I do 50 texts in a month......

And yes I still have  my landline at home too  :) 

54 minutes ago, JeffreyO said:

Because battery life is between 2 and 3 weeks if not making too many phone calls. I loved my old small dumb LG

It is really true, I did consistently charge it only every 2-3 weeks

Because they don't break down as easily as smart phones. I hated my Samsung smart phone when my daughter dropped it and the touch screen broke and I had to send it to have the screen replaced just to be able to key in the key to get to the information inside

Because if you like what the OP states won't use any smart phone functionality on the phone, then smart phone functionality only makes the phone less good for everything you really use it for

Smart phones have its place, so does dumb phones :)

Edited by MikeyIdea

Cheapest i've seen is 150 baht, and i think it included SIM card....but you have to activate sim card then i think (no more buy and go sim cards) 

the provider-branded starter phones are sometimes really good deals.  I saw AIS with a 499 phone

the week before.  

cheapest 3g 4g dumb phone backup true brand 150 baht.jpg

Also, i-mobile has hitz 22 or something like that for 1000 baht.  You need to make sure it is at least 3g enabled.  but if 4g, all the better. they should be replacing all their old dumb phones with 3g/4g  models, since 2g is being phased out.  

dumb phones are reliable....they do one thing really well.  Make/receive phone calls and SMS with fast boot times.  Good backup if smartphone is in shop. 

Edited by 4evermaat

On 22/09/2016 at 8:17 AM, chrisinth said:

galaxy-folder-2-2.jpeg

Samsung Galaxy Folder G150 on sale in the Hong Kong grey market for HKD $1550 cheapest. That's about 7000 baht.

The OPs requirements are actually a bit challenging...

can you share any details: current Motorola model? what other countries will it be required to function? budget? format: flip, candy-bar, smart? 3G? 4G?

There are quite a few "phone finder" web sites where you can input your broad requirements, then once you have a short-list you can see what's available here.

If you're prone to dropping things often maybe get a case which may help?

A lot of these really inexpensive models available here for the low-end 2G upgrade market are really quite horrendous.

For the OP, why will your 2G "not be working soon"? Is it showing imminent signs of failure? 2G should be available for the next two years.

On 23/09/2016 at 1:05 AM, JDGRUEN said:

Bite the bullet . It is not that hard to use a smart phone. LINE and WhatsApp are wondrous inventions ... extremely helpful. AIS shops have two nice 3G Androids for 800 to 1400 baht.

Assuming that the OP has an AIS sim card, AIS will give him a new 3g phone for free in exchange for his 2g phone. The payment is for the obligatory top up depending on which model chosen.

19 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Assuming that the OP has an AIS sim card, AIS will give him a new 3g phone for free in exchange for his 2g phone. The payment is for the obligatory top up depending on which model chosen.

Sounds great... those two low end Androids 800 - 1400 Baht I spoke of are quite nice .. if they are representative of what AIS would bundle in the offer.

I just bought an iMobile Hitz from Big C (in the Electronics dept in the main store).  Less than 900 THB.  I'm sure you could find one like it at any Big C.  Heck of a lot better than the old Nokia it replaced.  I'm happy with it.

On 09/23/2016 at 10:43 AM, AlQaholic said:

Maybe a bit off topic but can any recommend a 4G dumb phone? I have a 4G smartphone already but need another really cheap one for my alternative 4G number.

21 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

You are right.

Have overlooked that.

So no option for the OP.

As i said earlier:

The branded phones are not always locked,  especially the dumb ones.  Op can test with a different brand sim when purchasing (e.g. AIS sim card in true phone,  etc make sure it works).

For under 500 baht,  what does OP have to lose?

Edited by 4evermaat