do i lose my retirement visa status?

i have a retirement visa which i acquired in may 2016. i hold a british passport. in late november, i am leaving (koh phangan) thailand (for a 2 month trip to the u.s.) my questions are:

1) do i need to go to (koh samui) immigration BEFORE i leave, to notify them of my trip, or can i just fly out?

2) do i lose my retirement visa status when i leave on this trip?

3) if so, how do i re-enter/on what type of entry visa? ...and then, do i immediately re-apply at samui immigration for a new retirement visa? 

or what...?:-)

any feedback would be greatly appreciated. 

Do you have a OA visa from an embassy  or an extension of stay you applied for at immigration?

If a visa you can leave and re-enter the country up to the enter before date on it and get a new one year entry.

If an extension of stay you need to apply for a re-entry permit at immigration to keep it valid when you return form you trip. A single re-entry permit costs 1000 baht and a multiple 3800 baht.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, durian lover said:

i currently hold a thai "retirement" visa, (before that, i had an non-imm o visa from  when i last entered via penang.) so, i am still unsure regarding my specific questions above. 

You apparently have an extension of stay based upon retirement you applied for at immigration not a visa.

You need to get a re-entry permit before your trip.

• Like 2

1. No, yes.
  2. Yes unless you buy a re-entry permit before you leave.
  3. You can buy a re-entry permit from the Samui immigration office (1,000 baht) anytime prior to your trip, or at the airport on the day you leave. When you re-enter using the re-entry permit the IO will stamp you back in for the remainder of your current permit to stay (May 2017).

11 hours ago, durian lover said:

i currently hold a thai "retirement" visa, (before that, i had an non-imm o visa from  when i last entered via penang.) so, i am still unsure regarding my specific questions above. 

As several people have said, you don't have a visa, but an extension of stay based on retirement, so to maintain that you'll need a re-entry permit whenever you leave the country and intend to return.

When you do return, make sure you put your re-entry permit number in the space on the arrival card where it asked for your visa ... and check to make sure the immigrations officer's attention is drawn to the re-entry permit. Otherwise he might just give you a 30 day visa exempt entry.

5 minutes ago, Joannesjjv2499 said:

It still says 1900 on the immigration bureau website. Now I know that the information which is on their website is no guarantee at all but it is still there.

The 1900 baht fee is not for a "Re-entry permit endorsement" that is for those having permanent residency.

Go down the page a little further and you will see this.

Application for re-entry permit
  • Single entry: 1,000.- Baht
  • Multiple entries within remaining period of admission: 3,800.- Baht

6 minutes ago, Joannesjjv2499 said:

Also you can apply for re-entry permit and if you have it come back beyond your 90 days report. Those two things got nothing to do with each other at least that is what I think of it.

You do not need to do a report of staying longer than 90 consecutive days in the country if you  leave the country or or before the 90th day. Your report would be due 90 days form the date you enter the country.

When does your "visa" or extension end?

If you wish to keep the extension it is impotant to be here to renew it.

if you want to keep it you need to either be here when it is time to renew, or if the imigration will allow it you nay be able to renew for another year early (before the expiration date).

A re-entry [ermit will not help as the permit only runs to your extension date, the permit will expire on the  same date as the extension, because the permit is based on the extension.

So if you are not here on the expiration date, your re-entry permit also ends.

That is why if you want to keep the visa extension you really need to be in county on the date the extnsion expies