Thai ID card now being given to ex-pat yellow book residents

stephenterry

Also, I can not use it in the bank, since I opened the accounts with my passport and my SCB bank clearly tells me "sorry, even though we know you well, we still need a passport copy, the ID card is not anywhere referenced in your accounts".

Yes totaly agree if you are dealing with an account set up already. However can be used to open a new account it is then refrence to that account. I have two accounts with BKK bank one used passport one ID card . On the first I still have to show passport on the second ID card.

It is of use of sorts but I fully expect it to become more and more accepted by Goverment ie immigration over the coming  few years if not sooner.

11 hours ago, Chiengmaijoe said:

I'm sure plenty of people see a  need for having one,  but there is still no harm in laughing at some of the people applying that have no idea what use it will be. Some on a previous topic about the pink 'uns even asked what use it was, after having got one, bless 'em.

How very condescending of you. Must feel so superior laughing at other people for asking questions.

Must feel very superior to me.Never had any Book . Lived in My Wife's Houses for 25 years,but so Have many of us although been bought them.ive seen the Yellow Books .they seem to be related to tiny places round hereBut Ferangs like to wave em about and rant about free health Cheapy places they can use Can't se much point in one for me anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

The farang ID card is a “good to have” card as it by many is mistakenly treated same as a Thai citizen ID. Legally however it does not replace your passport or give you Thai prices where dual pricing is applicable. You still need to keep (copy of) your passport and visa with you.   

49 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

How very condescending of you. Must feel so superior laughing at other people for asking questions.

You mean the same as the condescending reply I received from you when I pointed out I couldn't really see much use in them and questioning their value.  In your desperation to validate your " Pink card " you accused me of both " ranting " and being " jealous " ????.

Obviously it must depend if it is a question you like or dislike whether it is viewed as condescending or not?? Any opposition to your Pink card is taken very seriously and personally.

So so far I remain unconvinced by your efforts to promote the benefits of your Pink card. However, the clincher for you is getting in free to Pattaya floating market!!  and a "thumbs up " from a traffic policeman who probably didn't have a clue what it was.

Lastly, what is a " very good Thai falang " which you state in your early post? You seemed to be bursting with pride by the off the cuff comment.

I think I can afford to give it a miss.

13 hours ago, gamini said:

Interesting news about expats getting a so-called ID by using a yellow certificate of residence. Anyone know about IDs for permanent residents who have the proper blue tambien baan? I guess it would be a different colour ID.

I have PR, my name in the blue tabien baan and a pink ID card with a 13 digit ID number beginning with "8" (denoting that I'm an alien!). I use the card all the time for checking into hotels, getting the Thai price for tourist attractions etc.

5 hours ago, LannaGuy said:

i have a yellow book i guess i just go to the office about getting a card?

Yes take your passport and YB.Depending on which office should be all over in 15 mins,65 baht.I used mine at a local CM resort 2 weeks ago when siging in.The manager had never seen one,nor either would I suggest many Thais.I have no idea what else you could use it for.The Amphur boss did say to me you can only use it in CM province and have the same address.Many will dispute that .I am simply saying what I was told.There is no renewal date. My blood group is on the strip and its only available in pink:coffee1:

Oz tried to introduce ID cards but the uproar was intense, so all they did was turn your driving license into a faux ID card and bob's your uncle! No choice, no comeback, "we know what's good for you"! I always thought that the UK was a little fascist, now I know that they're not a patch on Oz! :thumbsup::wai:

On 9/22/2016 at 1:56 AM, Anthony5 said:

I couldn't care less if you agree with me or not, but the number on the card is the same number as in the yellow tabien baan, which is NOT an ID number but a registration number.

Ask some Thai government office and they will tell you it is NOT an ID card. They have a completely different name for it, and it is up to each organisation if they accept it or not.

Then why is yellow book number OK to file taxes with?

2 minutes ago, KhonKaenKowboy said:

Then why is yellow book number OK to file taxes with?

For file taxes you need your personal tax id number.

Are you saying that your yellow book number is the same as your tax ID, or that you file your tax returns without a personal tax ID, and instead use your yellow book number?

13 minutes ago, KhonKaenKowboy said:

I have a taxpayer ID, too, but either can be used for taxes.  The yellow book number is clearly an ID number, 13 digits, with the first digit showing you are farang.

The yellow book number is a address registration , and probably they can find your personal tax id in the system through your address registration. Even for a Thai the number in the blue book is no ID and has no value other than that it is an address registration. In a blue book many Thais can be noted, though there is only 1 number in the book. So all Thais in that book have the same ID number?

http://www.thailandlawonline.com/article-older-archive/thai-house-registration-and-resident-book

The blue or yellow tabien baan is not an important document for foreigners and most foreigners owning a condominium or a house (separate from the land) will have a (empty) blue house registration book and not a yellow book. The legal value for foreigners is very limited and generally there is no need or requirement to exchange a blue tabien baan for a yellow tabien baan. A yellow book does not confer any additional rights. However, foreigners married to a Thai national living in Thailand should have their name in the house book of the marital home. For Thais a house book's primary function is that it states his or her place of legal residence (permanent home).

https://xpat.life/thailand/tabien-baan

"First, and foremost, you will be granted a 'Citizen's Number'."  You are not a Thai citizen, of course, but that is how it translates.

"It will go on things like your Driver's License, tax returns, etc..."..."It will have a single digit prefix which indicates your status."

I would add that it is good proof of address for utilities/internet hookups, and also if you are unfortunate enough to be doing 90 day report in  person.  The one time I did a 90 in person in the last year, about 6 people were being turned away, because they were surprised with proof of address requests.  Lately, there are lots of reports of people getting called out on TM28/30.

16 minutes ago, PattayaBoy said:

How and can you get yellow book if u not married?
My gf owns house.
Is it difficult to get it?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Take her with you, go talk to tessaban....I think you could.  Otherwise, condo owners are eligible....but you still need a Thai person to appear on your behalf.

On 9/22/2016 at 10:01 PM, gamini said:

Interesting news about expats getting a so-called ID by using a yellow certificate of residence. Anyone know about IDs for permanent residents who have the proper blue tambien baan? I guess it would be a different colour ID.

All foreigners are issued with a pink ID card, including those with PR. 

Usually the registration/ID number we are given starts '06' but for those foreigners that have PR their registration number starts '08'. 

It's the same number we are given when we get our Yellow Tabien Baan, plus, When we renew our Thai driving licence that number is also used instead of our passport number.

so what does this pink card do that my drivers licence and work permit  doesn't ?

Not everybody here has a work permit, some of us are retired.

And some don't have driving licence either. My mate for example has never driven, either in the UK or here.

Archived