Thai ID card now being given to ex-pat yellow book residents

stephenterry

Normal scenario: bought house in a Moo Baan (Hang Dong district), in Thai G/F name, and as I also resided there, I applied for a yellow book from the local Land registry office. This was granted. Last week a letter arrived from this office 'offering' me a Thai ID card so that I could be regarded as a foreign resident in Thailand and benefit from the Thai tourist places at Thai prices, not Farang prices.

A new man is at the helm, and he seems willing to let local district Farangs share Thai benefits. Now they have my address, thumb prints, photo, and ID number on their computer records as well as my yellow book details. My ID card is pink, not blue, and I have yet to 'try it out'.  My questions are, have any other members received this ID card, what can they do with it and, more importantly, could I just produce this at Immigration for my 90 day report? - which is the whole point of reporting my whereabouts, isn't it?

I got mine several months ago,never tried to do anything with

it yet,using it to do 90 day reporting,it would seem sensible to

be able to do that,but we are dealing with Government  Dept.,s

so sensible does not come into it, just do your 90 day report by

post,how to do it is pinned to top of this forum.

The important thing for me is the card has details of your blood

group ,in the magnetic strip,so it could save your life in case of

been involved in an accident,when you might need a blood transfusion.

regards Worgeordie

Ah, yes, blood type. Didn't know it was included. I wondered why my G/f was rabbiting on about that. Nevertheless, I'm going to ask questions next time I visit IMM - although I doubt I'd get any helpful answers, or any desire to change anything.

But I like visiting Promenada - good place for decent lunch, and Rimping supermarket to stock up on goodies. So a side visit to IMM is okay with me.

9 minutes ago, Anthony5 said:

You have that right it WAS enough, but not anymore, there are reports onhere where even a work permit is refused.

By the way, the pink card is not an ID card.

18 minutes ago, terminatorchiangmai said:

You still not have a Thai id number so no benefits at national parks i think.

If anyone was successful with that i would love to know.

@ terminator I do know of one man who uses his ID card to gain entry to Doi Intermon at Thai 50 baht prices, instead of 300 baht visitor prices.

@anthony5    My pink card, albeit not a blue Thai ID card, IS an ID card with an ID number, that's a definitive statement and confirmed by the Land registry office, whose various card signatures denote that. My G/f refers to it as a 'mixed blood' ID.

I shall continue to accept their interpretation of what is an ID card than yours, sorry.

19 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

@ terminator I do know of one man who uses his ID card to gain entry to Doi Intermon at Thai 50 baht prices, instead of 300 baht visitor prices.

@anthony5    My pink card, albeit not a blue Thai ID card, IS an ID card with an ID number, that's a definitive statement and confirmed by the Land registry office, whose various card signatures denote that. My G/f refers to it as a 'mixed blood' ID.

I shall continue to accept their interpretation of what is an ID card than yours, sorry.

I couldn't care less if you agree with me or not, but the number on the card is the same number as in the yellow tabien baan, which is NOT an ID number but a registration number.

Ask some Thai government office and they will tell you it is NOT an ID card. They have a completely different name for it, and it is up to each organisation if they accept it or not.

4 minutes ago, Anthony5 said:

I couldn't care less if you agree with me or not, but the number on the card is the same number as in the yellow tabien baan, which is NOT an ID number but a registration number.

Ask some Thai government office and they will tell you it is NOT an ID card. They have a completely different name for it, and it is up to each organisation if they accept it or not.

Yes, and they use that number to identify you from the photo on the card, and not any old dick or harry. And any local government official photo-card that identifies you at a known address qualifies as an identity card, IMO. And that should be sufficient for most organisations (possibly also including other government organisations like the driving licensing department) when they ask for an ID.

But I shall carry my passport as well, just in case that the pink ID card identity is not acceptable. I know only too well that Thai bureaucracy remains in the last century and will probably continue to do so until fresh appointees with a first world outlook take up senior positions.

But thank you for your intervention, your opinions are noted.

My friend lives in HangDong, too. It was very easy for him to get this card, but it is not everywhere that easy. It is the same card non-thais from the neighboring countries , who live here, will get or hill tribe people.

Should be good enough for being treated like a thai at a national park or so ?!

I have used my ID card to travel domestic on Thai smile. I've used it to open a new bank account. I've used it to get into Pattaya floating market thai price ie free. I have used it to book into hotel's and have never had a problem. Was stopped by police in a legal road block gave him the ID card by mistake thought it was driving licence. Much chatter between several officers came back big smile on his face two thumbs up "very good thai falang". So to me ID is well worth it.

6 hours ago, stephenterry said:

Yes, and they use that number to identify you from the photo on the card, and not any old dick or harry. And any local government official photo-card that identifies you at a known address qualifies as an identity card, IMO. And that should be sufficient for most organisations (possibly also including other government organisations like the driving licensing department) when they ask for an ID.

But I shall carry my passport as well, just in case that the pink ID card identity is not acceptable. I know only too well that Thai bureaucracy remains in the last century and will probably continue to do so until fresh appointees with a first world outlook take up senior positions.

But thank you for your intervention, your opinions are noted.

Exactly which last century do you refer to? The recent one or the other one.  The amount of paperwork in any Thai Government Dept,  bank or insurance office etc, etc is positively Dickensian!!!!

It's  amazing reading this thread that if you asked a British national in the UK if they wanted an ID card which also had their blood groups and other relevant information on it but they had to be photographed and give their thumb prints which would be held on file  , I have no doubt they would be shouting and screaming  to the local press about  big brother and their civil liberties.

However, over in sunny Thailand they are quite prepared to queue around then block for one and probably waste a day getting it, just so they have, in their view, the one upmanship,and can sit smugly in the beer bar flashing it off with that ' I am a native, look at my ID card ' face, that also gets them into  a park, maybe, at local rates! and , for this privilege, they have all their personal details  tracked and recorded.

9 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

It's  amazing reading this thread that if you asked a British national in the UK if they wanted an ID card which also had their blood groups and other relevant information on it but they had to be photographed and give their thumb prints which would be held on file  , I have no doubt they would be shouting and screaming  to the local press about  big brother and their civil liberties.

However, over in sunny Thailand they are quite prepared to queue around then block for one and probably waste a day getting it, just so they have, in their view, the one upmanship,and can sit smugly in the beer bar flashing it off with that ' I am a native, look at my ID card ' face, that also gets them into  a park, maybe, at local rates! and , for this privilege, they have all their personal details  tracked and recorded.

Not true I had an ID card with a dam site more information on it in the UK. No bragging rights here just makes life a little simpler. No one has to get one if you feel so strongly don't bother no one will be in the slightest bit bothered or loss any sleep over it. But don't rant at others who decided to have an ID card here just sounds like your a bit jealous maybe???

Interesting news about expats getting a so-called ID by using a yellow certificate of residence. Anyone know about IDs for permanent residents who have the proper blue tambien baan? I guess it would be a different colour ID.

Wow,

Quick on the reply!

I don't feel strongly about it whatsoever and it was an observation not in any shape or form a " rant " as you incorrectly described it. It was a simple statement of what I believe. We have seen the civil liberties brigade when ID cards were suggested for UK nationals in the past.

I have the yellow book which is useful for a few needs and purposes and a Thai driving license to remain legal on the roads. From what I know there is not one single benefit of the aforementioned " Pink card " which some are referring to as an ID card and others are not.

You appear to be getting your knickers in a twist because I have questioned its benefits and usage. Enjoy your free Pattaya floating market!!..

2 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

Wow,

Quick on the reply!

I don't feel strongly about it whatsoever and it was an observation not in any shape or form a " rant " as you incorrectly described it. It was a simple statement of what I believe. We have seen the civil liberties brigade when ID cards were suggested for UK nationals in the past.

I have the yellow book which is useful for a few needs and purposes and a Thai driving license to remain legal on the roads. From what I know there is not one single benefit of the aforementioned " Pink card " which some are referring to as an ID card and others are not.

You appear to be getting your knickers in a twist because I have questioned its benefits and usage. Enjoy your free Pattaya floating market!!..

Not at all don't wear knickers (it's a man thing) as for your silly little digs at trying to illicit a response in the negative I'm afraid you have failed misrably. I have never heard or seen any tree huggers or liberty brigade walkers up in arms in the UK over ID cards. As I said don't bother getting one quite simple really. Ps it's an ID card your picture and details on it gives the name of it away. Same as a driving licence has driving categories on it.

37 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

I agree. I have a Thai driver licence and work permit because I have to, and they cover most situations. I keep interactions with government bodies to the bare minimum, and having never been finger-printed, I don't plan on starting now.

There will certainly be people similar to those you described that want one for no other purpose than to kid themselves or their mates that they are 'native', when in reality, it says that it is an aliens id card. I agree with your statements about British views on refusing to accept the need to carry id, and the irony of those same people rushing out to get id here. It serves no purpose to me, so like yourself, I won't be rushing out to get one.

I'm sure plenty of people see a  need for having one,  but there is still no harm in laughing at some of the people applying that have no idea what use it will be. Some on a previous topic about the pink 'uns even asked what use it was, after having got one, bless 'em.

I also have house in  Moo Baan (Hang Dong district) and resided here.

One week ago I got a letter from this office 'offering' me some ID card but not really Thai ID (as my wife explained). 

I thought. I have anything too lose so yesterday I went for it.

So I gave them my thumb prints, they took photo and I gave them my blodtype. I got som ID number probebly the same as YTB.

A got to know the officers as he before told me he stayed in Sweden for one month.  He seems a nice man and he told me he wanted the help farang that stay in Hangdong more easy. Anyway -I tested the card, yesterday, at the bank and I see she took the card and show some people it .......and...I dont have to show my passport. I dont want to carry passport only a copy when I walk around in Chiangmai.1-0 (benefit).

I like this tread - so let me know more how we can use this ID-YTB card for more benefits.

I live North of Chiang Mai and have both the yellow house book and pink ID card which the issuing office advised is only for use in the local region

It has been accepted by the bank in lieu of a passport also the local National Park now only charge Thai entry rates but it does not make you a Thai citizen

The house book is of more use as I recently bought a new car and when registering in my name did not have to obtain the residency certificate from Immigration as occurred in the past

22 hours ago, worgeordie said:

I got mine several months ago,never tried to do anything with

it yet,using it to do 90 day reporting,it would seem sensible to

be able to do that,but we are dealing with Government  Dept.,s

so sensible does not come into it, just do your 90 day report by

post,how to do it is pinned to top of this forum.

The important thing for me is the card has details of your blood

group ,in the magnetic strip,so it could save your life in case of

been involved in an accident,when you might need a blood transfusion.

regards Worgeordie

I got mine also few month ago and used it

- to get Thai prices in various locations, even when I go alone (before, my wife organized the pricing...)

- as an "ID" card in police check points together with the drivers licence (worked twice)

However, I do not think it works for 90d report, since the TM47 as well as the online system do NOT have any fields for a Thai ID number, but only for the passport number

Also, I can not use it in the bank, since I opened the accounts with my passport and my SCB bank clearly tells me "sorry, even though we know you well, we still need a passport copy, the ID card is not anywhere referenced in your accounts".

Also, needed to make a complaint few days ago at Pattaya City Hall and was told that they "need" the passport, the ID card is not used for foreigners and when I later had to "confirm" the complaint with police at Soi 9, they also wanted to see the passport. 

Finally... blood group? I was not even asked for blood type and I am definitely sure the Thai government does NOT have it, so I can only hope that nothing wrong was put on the mag stripe...

you ask me... it is a good ID and police checkpoints here accept it...  so definitely, I do not carry my passport with me except when I need to on "official" business, but other than entry fees, I have not seen any real value. 

Archived