Big C 23 Baht Mobiles

jamie2009

Big C are currently selling AIS Mobiles for 23 baht, there is a voucher on the till roll. I went to Big C in South Pattaya to get one for my GF's Mother. I took my GF's ID Card. After standing there and being stared at for several minutes an Assistant approached me, well he only come as the rest were ignoring me and saying, farang, farang. I showed him my Voucher and my GF's ID Card. Nope she has to be present, ok fair enough, I showed my Passport, nope phones only for Thai people.

Hey I spend thousands of Baht in that store every month, I was going to ask for Supervisor to ask why but unfortunately didn't have time.

We went back the  next day, I still wanted to speak to a Supervisor but my GF said don't cause any hassle,  true what they say Thais don't like confrontation.

Op, sooner you realise we are merely tolerated, don't really figure in the system and are more like secondary citizens (if that) , the smoother daily life will be. I found stuff like this annoying at first, but just don't care now. ;)

But stuff is rarely given away here and if you were to dig deeper into this deal, I bet there'd be a catch... like locked phone and expensive per-minute rates, for example. Don't sweat it.

22 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I love it when 'pretties' are standing at the entrance to a store giving away free samples, and as soon as they see a farang (me) approach their outstretched arm is quickly withdrawn. What pathetic people they are.

That's just you. Maybe shower more often. They always offer me the samples and flyers and I have to go to the bother of refusing them. Just last week I tried to refuse a sample and it was stuffed into my shopping bag anyway.

13 hours ago, Goanna said:

Do you look like the pic on the ID? I suspect not. Good pickup by the assistant. A female impersonator trying to get a cheap deal. I hope there are some other funny stories on here today.

I was buying on behalf of my GF not trying to impersonate her, I offered my own Passport but that was when I was told the deal was for Thai person only.

it was a matter of principle nought to do with the 23 baht, I do all my shopping there.yet I am not included in the special offers, Tesco here we come.

In reality it's 423 baht but they put 400 in time on your phone, you can only use the company 

making the promotion, and yes Thai national only, and my girlfriend's daughter say's they have had 

many problems with the battery, witch is probably why they are getting rid of this model as fast as 

they can.

2 hours ago, Canuk23 said:

In reality it's 423 baht but they put 400 in time on your phone, you can only use the company 

making the promotion, and yes Thai national only, and my girlfriend's daughter say's they have had 

many problems with the battery, witch is probably why they are getting rid of this model as fast as 

they can.

It must be a good way for Samsung to get ride of their Note 7 with the dodgy batteries 

I love bargains (who doesn't?) but in reality, any phone that cheap is bound to be more hassle than it's worth. I once bought a 'Soniore' branded phone for 299baht in Tesco and it was bad in ways I didn't even know were possible: terrible battery life, quiet speaker, poor reception, 'dead' pixels on the screen after 2 months. In some ways it was astonishing 'value' as it had two SIM slots, a micro SD card, camera, radio and heaphones, but pretty much unusuable after a while. 

1 hour ago, ratcatcher said:

Nothing racist at all about his comment. Hes merely stating a fact.

Its the promo that's racist not him......I thought of being more specific but didn't as I assumed everyone would have enough intelligence to understand. Sorry that you didn't.

On 9/23/2016 at 11:07 PM, Thanyaburi Mac said:

Re the TRUE baht 90 phone, picked one up an hour ago, used my Thai non-ID card, no problem.  Locked to TRUE so can't use it for Lao travel with a Lao SIM, but fine for Thailand as a loaner.  Has the essentials, phone and camera.

Mac

was it 90 baht out the door or did you have to put phone credit on it too ?

It is only 23 baht - which is part of the 23 years of Big C - you only have to top up 70 baht to get the first 100 baht of the 400 baht over 4 months from AIS.  and add another 70 baht each of those months to keep it going for a total of 400 free baht of voice. 

If you already have an AIS sim such as the one the wife had in her dual phone you can simple install that a run with the that (it worked) - is it locked out of other systems? - don't know - didn't try, but might work - Big C is giving the phones AIS only adds the sim - anyone with an extra true or dtac sim could just try it - does not seem to be locked.

Anyone find a manual for this thing and how to use the settings?

She wanted to put her ais  sim in another phone anyway so this worked great as that number was  just used for voice and the keypad works better then smart phone if you are having to press numbers during a call.  In addition when the AIS sim is in her dual smart phone about twice a week after getting what seems to be un related sms the phone gets switched to AIS data (i.e. slammed by ais) and they start sucking baht out of the AIS package - rather then the data plan from the dtac sim in the one slot - had to keep an eye on it all the time.  Told her to trash the ais sim and transfer the number, but she wants this keypad for making calls on that number she has had for 20 years.  PS I had the same problem with AIS which I solved by trashing the sim as I didn't really need dual sim anyway - it was just my old pre smart phone number I had and despite the ais tower being closer to home the dtac works better for data in this area anyway.

You always have to show ID to get a sim card - someone must think it means Thai only - it does not. A drivers lic or passport works too.  The ID is for the sim not the phone, but you know how messages get translated in Thai - that location is likely operating in don't screw up mode and assume Thai only because told to check ID.

Archived