Retirement Visa Family Question

As I understand, once I turn 50 I can apply for a retirement visa (800K in the bank, etc, etc).  What about my wife and daughter (both non-Thai) who will be under 50?  Can I get the same type of visa for them as dependents or will the Thai authorities require tourist visas and/or some other category?  My wife turns 50 about 11 months later, so I am trying to figure out the best options for all of us.  Thanks.

• You can't get a retirement visa, but you can get a Non Immigrant 'O' visa that will give you permission to stay for 90 days. During the last 30 (maybe 45) days you can apply for an extension of stay based on retirement (over 50).
  • Once you have been granted your extension of stay your wife and daughter can (they will need non 'O' visas first) apply for extensions of stay as your Spouse and Child (not dependants). They effectively piggy back on the back of your permission to stay.
Edited by elviajero

Thank you Elviajero for the clarification.  So when the time comes, we apply for a single entry Non Imm O and then apply in Thailand for the extension of stay based on retirement.  That makes more sense and it is good to know that the family can piggy back on my permission.  Now I just need to wait until I turn 50!  

8 minutes ago, texanaust said:

Thank you Elviajero for the clarification.  So when the time comes, we apply for a single entry Non Imm O and then apply in Thailand for the extension of stay based on retirement.  That makes more sense and it is good to know that the family can piggy back on my permission.  Now I just need to wait until I turn 50!  

I'm not sure where you'll be when you turn 50, but if you're in Thailand a quick trip to Vientiane, Laos would be a good choice for the visas. You can apply for a Non 'O' based on retirement and the consular officer should, at the same time, issue your wife and daughter Non 'O' visas on the basis of your application.

As long as you are all within the 30/45 day window when you apply for your 1 year extension of stay, the immigration office should process your family's extensions at the same time.