Emergency Passport situation at Friendship Bridge (Lao)

4 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I recently applied for a new UK PP at Trendy house and it took three weeks to get here (Fromm application date)

Your old PP is only made usable (corner cut off) when you receive the new PP .

Make sure that you take some documents with your current address on it, a Condo lease document isnt always acceptable .

Try to get a current Bank statement, ask for it to be in English, which will save you having to get the document translated 

Do you think there is any way to avoid the corner being cut off until i actually receive the Full Passport ?

3 minutes ago, easybullet3 said:

Do you think there is any way to avoid the corner being cut off until i actually receive the Full Passport ?

That is what they do, cut the corner off when you pick up the new one, not when you apply.

Worth bearing in mind that in theory at least the old passport is not valid for travel from the moment you apply for the new one.

Edited by Upnotover
line added

1 minute ago, easybullet3 said:

Trendy house only cut the corner off AFTER you have received the new PP, My old PP was still valid for use right up until I received my new PP and they cut the corner off as I received my new PP

2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

My old PP was still valid for use right up until I received my new PP

That is not what the gov.uk website says...." You can’t travel with it after you’ve applied for a new one - but you will be able to keep your existing passport for ID purposes."

also:

i am trying to start off the application process online.

and on the first page of the online process I am already 'stumped'.

there is no choice for my situation.

I will be replacing my ETD with a New passport.

attached image shows the 4 choices.

what would you choose ?

which choice.jpg

I think you are pushing your luck getting the passport within 30 days. Even if you complete the application online you still have to get an appointment at the passport office to submit the application. IMO you'd be better off flying back to the UK and getting the passport there. They offer a 1 day and 1 week fast track services.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, elviajero said:

I think you are pushing your luck getting the passport within 30 days. Even if you complete the application online you still have to get an appointment at the passport office to submit the application. IMO you'd be better off flying back to the UK and getting the passport there. They offer a 1 day and 1 week fast track services.

It is quite easy to get an appointment at Trendy house for the very next day, you just have to select an early time slot , before 9.30 AM .

Mine took exactly three weeks to arrive .

There is no point in him applying on line, this will just complicate the issue , he just need to download the application forms, get them all filled in, and signed by a witness , get a current bank statement , get his photos done and take everything to Trendy house to get it checked and sent off

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, sanemax said:

It is quite easy to get an appointment at Trendy house for the very next day, you just have to select an early time slot , before 9.30 AM .

Mine took exactly three weeks to arrive .

Sure. I understand it's doable, but he really doesn't have much leeway. Personally, I'd jump on a plane to the UK and not face the agonising wait or potential hassles if it doesn't come back in time.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

They don't cut the corners off your passport until you get the new one.

8 hours ago, Upnotover said:

That is what they do, cut the corner off when you pick up the new one, not when you apply.

Worth bearing in mind that in theory at least the old passport is not valid for travel from the moment you apply for the new one.

8 hours ago, sanemax said:

Trendy house only cut the corner off AFTER you have received the new PP, My old PP was still valid for use right up until I received my new PP and they cut the corner off as I received my new PP

so,

if they dont cut the corner off the emergency passport until I receive the new one,

then (in theory), if my passport does take more than 30 days, I can try to get an extension for 7 days in my ETD at Chang Wattana ?

i imagine they have no idea of knowing that my ETD is not valid.

and once the real passport arrives, then I go back to them and switch visa over.

I am sure they are none the wiser (and I avoid overstay fee).

but the BEST option is that it takes less than a month, and then everything is fine ;)

Edited by easybullet3

7 hours ago, easybullet3 said:

so,

if they dont cut the corner off the emergency passport until I receive the new one,

then (in theory), if my passport does take more than 30 days, I can try to get an extension for 7 days in my ETD at Chang Wattana ?

i imagine they have no idea of knowing that my ETD is not valid.

and once the real passport arrives, then I go back to them and switch visa over.

I am sure they are none the wiser (and I avoid overstay fee).

but the BEST option is that it takes less than a month, and then everything is fine ;)

As far as I am aware , the old PP/ETD isnt invalidated until the corner is cut off .

That would make sense, because if it became invalidated as soon as you applied, then you would be in Thailand with no valid travel documents, which would be illegal

MY PP had already arrived at Tendy house and I received notification to go and collect it , but I still went to immigration and had my (then) current Visa extended for another month .

When you get the new PP, theres no need to go to an internal immigration office , just leave the Country as normal and immigration at the border will do everything necessary 

• Like 1

I applied for a replacement damaged UK passport (washing machine). I explained in email to Trendy and got an appointment two days later and my passport was back 13 days from when I applied. This was in early May. I suspect that June through to August backlog may occur with people renewing passports for their summer hols but that peak period is presumably now over so you should be okay to get it back in time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gilo said:

I applied for a replacement damaged UK passport (washing machine). I explained in email to Trendy and got an appointment two days later and my passport was back 13 days from when I applied. This was in early May. I suspect that June through to August backlog may occur with people renewing passports for their summer hols but that peak period is presumably now over so you should be okay to get it back in time.

thats great info :)

can i ask you:

• what did you do for the photo countersign ?  
  • did you have documents to prove your address ?

17 hours ago, sanemax said:

As far as I am aware , the old PP/ETD isnt invalidated until the corner is cut off .

That would make sense, because if it became invalidated as soon as you applied, then you would be in Thailand with no valid travel documents, which would be illegal

MY PP had already arrived at Tendy house and I received notification to go and collect it , but I still went to immigration and had my (then) current Visa extended for another month .

When you get the new PP, theres no need to go to an internal immigration office , just leave the Country as normal and immigration at the border will do everything necessary 

what did you do for the countersign?  and also what did you use for proof of address ?

these are the choices:

• visa or resident permit (or colour photocopy)

• tax record eg a letter from a tax authority

• educational record eg school report

• employment record eg official letter from your employer

• letter sent to you from a central, regional or local government department

• medical/health card

• voter’s card

• immigration documents.

1 hour ago, easybullet3 said:

what did you do for the countersign?  and also what did you use for proof of address ?

these are the choices:

• visa or resident permit (or colour photocopy)

• tax record eg a letter from a tax authority

• educational record eg school report

• employment record eg official letter from your employer

• letter sent to you from a central, regional or local government department

• medical/health card

• voter’s card

• immigration documents.

I have already stated in this thread that you can use a bank statement with your address on it as proof of address , I even suggested in this thread that you go and get a bank statement from your bank with a current address on it .

I got a local solicitor to counter sign it for me , I never actually had any previous dealings with him, he had just seen me walking past his office numerous times and he counter signed my application and we wouldnt accept any payment

• Like 1

I really feel for the OP. Did everything right, except allowed passport to get a bit damaged, but ends up in a bureaucratic nightmare, and costing much to fix. At least he had sufficient funds to sort it. Imagine if he'd gone without, assuming it was just a quick visit.

It's enough to make an oldie like myself just stay home ( not that I will, but in future I'll have to take even more precautions that before ). I used to love international travel, but it's getting to be a drag now, what with all the security when travelling by air, and now extra stress just wondering if I'll get through immigration, or end up in no man's land, or immigration jail just because someone didn't like my passport.

• Like 1

My passport came in a plastic envelope.
It stays there until needed to be produced.
Keeps it in pristine condition.

Yeah, our post office sold a passport wallet, I carried it in Thailand, too big for normal life, but travelling, ok I guess.
Keeps it from da wash..
Thanks for the good lessons..
Aloha to all..
Esp. the OP

On 9/23/2016 at 7:21 AM, ubonjoe said:

On 9/23/2016 at 7:29 AM, elviajero said:

On 9/23/2016 at 7:43 AM, sanemax said:

On 9/23/2016 at 9:41 AM, wilkie111 said:

On 9/23/2016 at 1:25 PM, Mattd said:

UPDATE:

Just letting you all know:

there were some minor bureaucratic issues leaving lao (from vientiane airport).. but easily cleared up (once they knew I was going to Bangkok to convert the ETD to a new passport)

Arrival to BKK was fine.

Application at the Trendy House office was MUCH EASIER than I would have imagined.

the staff were friendly helpful and nice.

also: (for your info), upgrading an ETD to a Full passport counts as a RENEWAL, so there was no need for countersignature.

also: for proof of address, they seemed fine with a colour photocopy of my Bumrungrad hospital card, and a Colour Photocopy of my Transit Visa and also an original of my TRUE MOVE bill, and also an envelope from FED-EX with my address on it (from a few months ago)

she told me that recently, most passports can sometimes be as fast as 2 weeks, or as long as 4 or 5 weeks.

she said that most of the 4+ week passports are due to problems and the need for further documents.

anyway.. really guys. 

thanks for all your help :)

I will also try extending my ETD (as they did not cut the corner off it). so i guess i can scrape an extension out of chang wattana too ;)

ok,, again, thanks.

your advice really helped me steer the correct path ;)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

On 9/23/2016 at 1:25 PM, Mattd said:

UPDATE:

My new UK Passport arrived after 3 and a half weeks.

i went to Laksi immigration to extend the Emergency Passport (Transit Visa),, (wishfully hoping to get 30 days, but ended up with a 7 day extension).

so I will do my visa run next week.

Do you think it would be unwise to go through the exact same NongKhai (friendship bridge) crossing as last time ?

i imagine that everything will be fine as its a brand new passport.

Also:

Laksi immigration did tell me to bring my new passport and old emergency passport to transfer over the old visa.

and I do know that I can also get this done at nongKhai when I leave thailand,

BUT:  just wondering if my old passport being an ''Emergency passport' makes any difference ?

how sure is it that nong khai will transfer the 7 days extension to the new passport ?

Thanks

The will do the transfer at Nong Khai but will send you to the immigration office near the bridge if it is open.

The will not transfer the visa.

They will transfer the the permit to stay you got from the entry and 7 day extension from the ETD to the new passport and stamp you out of the country in it. 

7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The will do the transfer at Nong Khai but will send you to the immigration office near the bridge if it is open.

The will not transfer the visa.

They will transfer the the permit to stay you got from the entry and 7 day extension from the ETD to the new passport and stamp you out of the country in it. 

Thank you.

On 10/29/2016 at 7:29 AM, ubonjoe said:

They will do the transfer at Nong Khai but will send you to the immigration office near the bridge if it is open.

They will not transfer the visa.

quick question:

You said that Nong Khai will send me to the immigration office to transfer my permit and extension from old to new passport IF IT IS OPEN.

I will be at the nong-khai border at around 19:00pm. 

if it is not open,  will they not allow me through until the following day ? or do you think some border staff will do it themselves ?

UPDATE:
if you recall:

i was stuck in no-mans land at Friendship Bridge (last month). rejected from both Thailand and Lao (due to damaged passport).

finally Lao let me in.

I got an Emergency Travel Document in Lao.

Returned to Bangkok.

Now I have a new British passport and I am doing my visa-run to Lao.

HERE IS THE QUESTION:

i will be bringing my son with me on this visa-run coz his mum (also a foreigner) is out of Bangkok right now.

he is UNDER 15 years old.

he is 14 and a half... and overstayed 3 years.

i was always told that children under 15 will not be penalised for overstaying.

is this fact ?

are they likely to BAN him from re-entering thailand again ?

he has overstayed MANY times before and its always fine. (but it has never been as much as 3 years before)... and now he is 14 and taller than me.

he always used to overstay when he was smaller and looks like a child. 

technically, should he be fine ?

1 hour ago, easybullet3 said:

HERE IS THE QUESTION:

i will be bringing my son with me on this visa-run coz his mum (also a foreigner) is out of Bangkok right now.

he is UNDER 15 years old.

he is 14 and a half... and overstayed 3 years.

i was always told that children under 15 will not be penalised for overstaying.

is this fact ?

are they likely to BAN him from re-entering thailand again ?

he has overstayed MANY times before and its always fine. (but it has never been as much as 3 years before)... and now he is 14 and taller than me.

he always used to overstay when he was smaller and looks like a child. 

technically, should he be fine ?

Children under the age of 15 are not fined for overstays but do get a stamp. Children under 18 are exempted from the banning for overstay.

If your son is attending school he should get a non-ed visa and then a one year extension of stay. If he was to get the extension you or his mother could get a extension as his parent if you could show 500k baht in a Thai bank.

Do you have permission from his mother to take him out of the country?

7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Children under the age of 15 are not fined for overstays but do get a stamp. Children under 18 are exempted from the banning for overstay.

If your son is attending school he should get a non-ed visa and then a one year extension of stay. If he was to get the extension you or his mother could get a extension as his parent if you could show 500k baht in a Thai bank.

Do you have permission from his mother to take him out of the country?

we have been causally staying here for years...

my son is home schooled daily... but no official school. coz its at home.. so we cant gets visas.

yes,, me and his mum share joint custody.. she is cool and there is no problems about me and my son on a trip together.

actually,, my son lives with me 90% of the time. he just visits her when she has time.

thanks for the advice once again Joe ;)