Excerpts of Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha’s speech to the UN

webfact

Sustainable development: the push to transform our world

30295961-01_big.jpg

Excerpts of Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha’s speech to the UN general assembly in New York on Wednesday

Last year, the UN General Assembly adopted the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development with 17 Sustainable Development Goals that we all have to "push" together in order to achieve balanced and sustainable global development. We have to push for a world where peoples are placed at the heart of the development policy, and no one is left behind. 

Thailand firmly believes that sustainable development cannot be realised where there is no peace and security or when human rights are violated, abused or disregarded - and vice-versa.

The recent migration crisis is a clear example of how security, development and social implications are intrinsically intertwined. No country is exempted from effects of crises that happen in the world, even if far away. 

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/Sustainable-development-the-push-to-transform-our--30295961.html

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2016-09-23

18 minutes ago, jamesbrock said:

:whistling:

un.jpg

Got to have sympathy for the unfortunates who had to attend the speech.

Apart from having to sit through the ramble they would do so in the realization they don't rate highly in their delegation's pecking order because if they did somebody else would be sitting there instead of them.

51 minutes ago, tbthailand said:

So "and vice-versa" that would be the Junta's secret sauce, ... such as

"violated, abused, and disregarded are human rights"

:whistling:

Saw this interesting quote attributed to him this morning:

"Why do people only think of human rights or liberty? It prevents the country from progressing."

Before I posted it I had to verify it as accurate - the only source I could find is direct from the horse's mouth (at 2:44): https://youtu.be/fCSwNDefJwE?t=2m44s

8 minutes ago, NongKhaiKid said:

Got to have sympathy for the unfortunates who had to attend the speech.

Apart from having to sit through the ramble they would do so in the realization they don't rate highly in their delegation's pecking order because if they did somebody else would be sitting there instead of them.

I wonder if the good General is jealous at Obama's audience...

1*NErkcWn8-l-xAxN1mZWZ8g.jpeg

Out of the waffle fed to the UN comes this gem of obfuscation:

"...The government came in to oversee the situation during a period of transition, to bring about order and security and to pave the way towards sustained political governance..."

Might I suggest the following three observations about it:

• It was NOT the government, it was the army that came in (by way of a coup d'etat).
  • This so-called "period of transition" is all about maintaining the status quo of the influential elite, and calming their anxieties about the very real uncertainties that lay ahead!
  • As for paving the way for "sustained" political governance - the antithesis is the case - orchestrating an election outcome that will see:
    • a House of Reps made up of a weak and ineffective coalition of minor parties (all pushing their own agendas);
    • an entrenched junta-appointed Senate; and,
    • a prime minister of questionable political affiliation.

42 minutes ago, waldroj said:

Out of the waffle fed to the UN comes this gem of obfuscation:

"...The government came in to oversee the situation during a period of transition, to bring about order and security and to pave the way towards sustained political governance..."

Might I suggest the following three observations about it:

• It was NOT the government, it was the army that came in (by way of a coup d'etat).
  • This so-called "period of transition" is all about maintaining the status quo of the influential elite, and calming their anxieties about the very real uncertainties that lay ahead!
  • As for paving the way for "sustained" political governance - the antithesis is the case - orchestrating an election outcome that will see:
    • a House of Reps made up of a weak and ineffective coalition of minor parties (all pushing their own agendas);
    • an entrenched junta-appointed Senate; and,
    • a prime minister of questionable political affiliation.

Speaking of transition, Euronews website appeared to jump the gun yesterday with a new deleted (but still available on Google's web cache) story that would've shocked the world.

Edited by jamesbrock
typo

9 hours ago, jamesbrock said:

Saw this interesting quote attributed to him this morning:

"Why do people only think of human rights or liberty? It prevents the country from progressing."

Before I posted it I had to verify it as accurate - the only source I could find is direct from the horse's mouth (at 2:44): https://youtu.be/fCSwNDefJwE?t=2m44s

wow, ... just wow, .... 

What else would we expect from a self-proclaimed "democratic soldier"??  

2 hours ago, tbthailand said:

wow, ... just wow, .... 

What else would we expect from a self-proclaimed "democratic soldier"??  

I've since discovered that this video was taken at the first meeting of the “five rivers” (which include the National Council for Peace and Order, the cabinet, the National Legislative Assembly, the National Reform Steering Assembly and the Constitution Drafting Committee) on Wednesday 28 October 2015.

I think this quote wasn't picked up on because this was the meeting where he said he may stay longer in office if opposing political groups refuse to stop fighting.

Politicians do not have to be suspicious of me. [The media] writes every day that I intend to cling to power. I must make it clear. If there is no peace and order, I must stay on and if we have to close the country, so be it.

Close. The. Country. He said he would isolate the country from the world if that is what is required to get Thailand back on track. 

My best guess is we farangs will not be in any way shape or form going to change anything in Thailand it is their land and country and we are guess here regardless how much money we pour into their economy.

Their government is what it is and if we look around the world freedom is very limited regardless  of the country we come from.

14 hours ago, jamesbrock said:

I've since discovered that this video was taken at the first meeting of the “five rivers” (which include the National Council for Peace and Order, the cabinet, the National Legislative Assembly, the National Reform Steering Assembly and the Constitution Drafting Committee) on Wednesday 28 October 2015.

I think this quote wasn't picked up on because this was the meeting where he said he may stay longer in office if opposing political groups refuse to stop fighting.

Close. The. Country. He said he would isolate the country from the world if that is what is required to get Thailand back on track. 

close the country, ie: secure the borders... finally, he is getting closer to the real role for the military... :coffee1:

5 hours ago, mettech said:

My best guess is we farangs will not be in any way shape or form going to change anything in Thailand it is their land and country and we are guess here regardless how much money we pour into their economy.

Their government is what it is and if we look around the world freedom is very limited regardless  of the country we come from.

that is an objectively false statement. Especially compared to Thailand. 

In how many other countries in the world do you find a government with unlimited and absolute power, headed by a general who overthrew an elected government in a coup?

By every measure, human rights restrictions have sky-rocketd in Thailand since May 2014.

Yes, their government is what it is, and it is clear what it is... 

34 minutes ago, tbthailand said:

close the country, ie: secure the borders... finally, he is getting closer to the real role for the military... :coffee1:

In the context of his sentence, "If there is no peace and order, I must stay on and if we have to close the country, so be it" I consider "close the country" to mean North Korea-style isolating the country from the world, rather than securing the borders but still letting people, particularly foreigners, cross.

Securing the borders but still letting people, including foreigners, cross would not bring about peace and order. Isolating the country from the world, particularly if he uses his beloved single gateway to restrict social media a la China, would (in his mind).

6 hours ago, mettech said:

It is indeed "their" land, they being the "elitists" that rule the country  & will continue to do so, no matter who is democratically elected! :shock1:

Edited by CGW