Australia crowned as the world's best steak producer

Jonathan Fairfield

16 minutes ago, Scotwight said:

Eating good beef might be best tested by eating dry aged prime rib of beef as opposed to a steak.  If my memory is correct Lawrys ages their prime rib 27 days.  And they don't use prime they use choice.  

http://www.lawrysonline.com

Lawrys.jpg

The longer you age your beef the better it is. But after 2 or 3 weeks it becomes very difficult to do. The chances of your beef spoiling greatly increases with time to. All the more import in you room being controlled properly and your beef inspected frequently. This is also an expensive process and adds to the cost of the beef. 

It is not that you can't get good beef in Thailand. I had Great Prime Rib in a 5 Star Hotel in Bangkok. Not sure where this beef was imported from but ii was as good as they get. The only problems is with the price. It was also very very expensive. So if you have the money you can eat good Beef Steak here, but you are not going to find it by simply going to Tesco or Marco. 

47 minutes ago, Thechook said:

The U.S was one of thier colonies also, should they have chosen that one?  A lot of the beef farms in Australia are owned by China and the USA.

Likely you're taking too much notice of the BS churned out by Hanson. In fact Chinese investors only own 0.38% of Oz agricultural land, with UK investors currently the largest foreign land owners. Interestingly the Brazilians (JBS) are a big owner of abattoirs in Oz.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-09-06/uk-owns-biggest-proportion-of-foreign-owned-farmland/7820854

Edited by simple1

This is one of those contests where you pay to play! I have had Australian Beef in Thailand and it's not the same as the  USDA Choice cuts I'm used to. Maybe it's frozen here. I do love Burger King in Bangkok and they use Australian Beef which is delicious. No Burger in Korat yet, but opening soon at at a mall near me soon.

21 hours ago, ezzra said:

It's like saying Japan has the best cars in the world, surly not ALL the Aussie steaks are world class as I can attest to it personally, What cut, what producer, what bread, grass or grain fed?  is it available to everybody or just to select few?..... 

Um, I, and I suggest most intelligent readers, don't  think the article alluded to ALL steaks, from Australia, but hey, if that's  how you understand it, then so be it.

Thai/French beef is quite good and if Australian beef isn't available, I buy it.

I don't buy a lot of beef in Thailand and it's a treat, so I don't tend to pay too much attention to the cost.   It also helps that I am a little on the selfish side and make sure no one is around so I don't have to share it!

I could tell a tale of the best beef ever tasted by myself ... coming off many cattle properties in Oz ... but you would not believe, it was most definitely not artificially fed grain rubbish, nor hung to rot for 3 weeks .... it would put all your expert opinions on its head ... best beef ever, best taste, flavour and tenderness .... never had another since and it was free. 

Best steak I've ever had the pleasure to taste came from the James Ranch in Durango, CO and was served at the Ore House, also in Durango. 

Had a chance to visit their market years ago and it was one of the best learning experiences this carnivore ever had. 

As one poster commented, it's not about grass or grain but about diet control and aging.