old restaurants on Samui

Rewthai

3 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

In Chaweng, SCB in the start of beach road next to 'last bar',  seven in laemdin market.

I've always heard that the 7-eleven on Maenam soi 4-corner was the first, but I only myself came here in 2001 and by that time it was there, and the one in Chaweng by Laemdin Market; however didn't notice anything in details in Nathong then; apart from a few bank "head offices" – think there were only bank branches in Nathon and one or a few in Chaweng, where it was also said to be 2 (two) ATMs; I managed to find one only...

The first and only 7-11 when I came here in 1996 was in Nathon, where it still is today, right next to the market on the main road going through. There was  not a 7-11 in Lama at that time, and most definitely nothing in Mae Nam.

I lived in Chaweng in my first year here and, believe me, if there had been any other 7-11 closer I would have known about it. It' was no fun going from Chaweng to Nathon and back at 3:00 am because you'd run out of smokes.

R

Edited by robsamui

In 1996 there were no banks at all in Chaweng, and only one ATM.  This was attached to a little supermarket which has now disappeared, close to where the Regent Hotel is. BUT - it only accepted Thai bank cards, not international cards like Visa/Mastercard.

The only ATM on the island where I could use my UK cards in a machine was in Nathon. I can't remember the name of the bank, but it was one of the first few before you get to the junction at the police station.

R

ps During my first year here (in Chaweng, 1996) I must have got chatting to maybe 6 or 7 different folks who had come to Samui from KPG just to use the ATM in Nathon!

Edited by robsamui

1 hour ago, robsamui said:

In 1996 there were no banks at all in Chaweng, and only one ATM.  This was attached to a little supermarket which has now disappeared, close to where the Regent Hotel is. BUT - it only accepted Thai bank cards, not international cards like Visa/Mastercard.

The only ATM on the island where I could use my UK cards in a machine was in Nathon. I can't remember the name of the bank, but it was one of the first few before you get to the junction at the police station.

R

ps During my first year here (in Chaweng, 1996) I must have got chatting to maybe 6 or 7 different folks who had come to Samui from KPG just to use the ATM in Nathon!

Didn't there used to be a little mobile bank (blue van) that parked on Chaweng Beach Road? Somewhere near the island resort. 

Might have been a mobile money exchange, but I thought it was a mobile bank.

Edited by phetphet