Prednisolone

Thaiwrath

I was prescribed Prednisolone at my local Government hospital recently, as I suffer from asthma.

After finishing the course, I went to my usual pharmacy to try and purchase some more, but the pharmacist advised me that they were only available on prescription from the hospital.

However, I went to another pharmacy later that day, and enquired whether they sold them, and they advised me they did, showing me a container with the same name on the label.

On arriving home, I noticed that instead of the usual round pinkish tablets, dispensed at the hospital in strips of 10, what he had sold me were bright pink triangular tablets ?

Although I realise that he probably sold me some generic form of the drug, I am a bit reluctant to take them, and I am thinking of visiting the hospital again in order to get the real thing.

If I was any good on computers I would post o photograph of the two different pills, but unfortunately, I.T. is not my strong point !

Has anyone else come across this generic form of the drug, and would it be a good idea to go through the proper channels to obtain the real thing ?  

There are many brands available here.

http://www.mims.com/thailand/drug/info/prednisolone/?mtype=generic

Available Brands

There are local generic brands...but this is also a prescription-only drug. And only pharmaciers with a "real" first grade pharmacist on the premises can sell it. They are also required to keep records of each sale. For these reasons most pharmacies simply do not carry it. But a pharmacy with a grade one pharmacist always on duty  can sell it provided there is a doctor prescription.

If you showed the pill bottle from the hospital at the second shop, possibly they viewed that as proof of prescription. If they simply sold to you on request without seeing that or any other proof of prescription, that is illegal and increases the odds that what you got wasn't prenisolone...i.e. they may have misunderstood what you said, or they may be knowingly selling a fake product (more likely to happen in touristy areas than ordinary places).

In addition, when I search drug images, I do not find a pink triangular form of prednisolone.

It is also very unwise to decide to continue this medication on your own...it is usually tapered off after the acute episode resolves as there are serious adverse consequences to long term use of systemic corticosteroids like this.

You would really be better served by seeing a good pulmonolgist for proper management - which may mean going elsewhere than your local hospital if it is just a community hospital.  At a minimum, I'd suggest you go back to that hospital and see the doctor again.

Thanks for the replies.

I think a visit to the hospital is the best idea.

I know the first pharmacist definitely has a grade one pharmacist, I use him frequently, and he was adamant that a prescription was needed.

I did show the tablets in both pharmacies, but I am pretty sure the second one would have sold me the generics, if I only had the name written down.

I will try and get a friend to download a picture of the triangular tablets to show you.

Archived