‘Empower the EC’ proposal welcomed by people

rooster59

‘Empower the EC’ proposal welcomed by people

38_Dusit-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK:-- The majority of people agree to give more power to the Election Commission (EC) to tackle electoral frauds.

This was what the latest survey conducted by Dusit Poll revealed today.

Dusit Poll conducted survey from September 20-23 on a total of 1,315 samples about their opinions on recent proposal to give more power to the EC to deal with corrupt and illegal practices in election.

Proposals included to empower the EC to summon, search, freeze, seize and to make arrest of offender on the spot.

The result showed that 42.06% of the people interviewed agreed to empowering the EC for those purposes, while 47.15% remained uncertain if this could help to make election cleaner and transparent.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/empower-ec-proposal-welcomed-people/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-09-25

What difference does it make ?

The EC will still do what it's told by the govt of the day or at least make decisions in their own best interests, job security etc. 

Rocking the boat, like taking responsibility for anything, isn't exactly a Thai trait.

9 minutes ago, kannot said:

1315---------------60 million?? oh yes it must be true then

Candidate 1 General ,candidate  2 General, candidate 3 general...............hmmm who to vote for?

1300 is a perfectly good sample size, if you have a representative sample.  That's basic statistics. The problem with polls is never with sample size, but errors come from biased samples, ambiguous questions, leading questions, respondent error, etc.   

Edited by ChidlomDweller

14 minutes ago, kannot said:

1315---------------60 million?? oh yes it must be true then

Candidate 1 General ,candidate  2 General, candidate 3 general...............hmmm who to vote for?

I suppose we could say that given the ' raging success ' of the junta's performance if the only choices are military men then the public are assured of top quality candidates !     :rolleyes:

Edited by NongKhaiKid

It will only work if:

1. the EC is cleaner than every other government agency. If not, then it's just another funnel for corruption.
  2. the EC is free from the influence and/or meddling of the junta/government.

It won't work.

It is just another agency with powers to arrest, seize and prosecute.

Just another cog in the repression machine.

2 hours ago, jamesbrock said:

It will only work if:

1. the EC is cleaner than every other government agency. If not, then it's just another funnel for corruption.
  2. the EC is free from the influence and/or meddling of the junta/government.

I like the optimism.

3 hours ago, NongKhaiKid said:

I suppose we could say that given the ' raging success ' of the junta's performance if the only choices are military men then the public are assured of top quality candidates !     :rolleyes:

Problem is we seen the same polls about YL and others from the same polling agency. Do you believe they were any better or subjected to the same bias. ? Cant say I have often seen polls going the "wrong" way now and in the past. They almost always seem to vindicate whoever is in power.

Edited by robblok

2 hours ago, JAG said:

It won't work.

It is just another agency with powers to arrest, seize and prosecute.

Just another cog in the repression machine.

31 minutes ago, Tatsujin said:

I like the optimism.

Of course it won't work. Of course those two 'ifs' would never be the case. I was just leaving the conclusion up to others. :thumbsup:

4 minutes ago, robblok said:

Problem is we seen the same polls about YL and others from the same polling agency. Do you believe they were any better or subjected to the same bias. ? Cant say I have often seen polls going the "wrong" way now and in the past. They almost always seem to vindicate whoever is in power.

Opinion polls here will find whatever those who commissioned the poll wants and even if the pollsters decided to poll without a direct commission i doubt they would publish anything heavy negative about the govt, its policies or certain individuals.