Computer Virus @ Bumrungrad

lingling

Not sure if this belongs under the Health forum topic or under the "Internet and Computers" section. Anyway, I was at Bumrungrad today and noticed "Trend Micro Officescan" popping up with virus warnings on several computers.

I just hope it is a benign virus - not cool if it is of the kind that steals information.

noticed "Trend Micro Officescan" popping up with virus warnings on several computers.

I just hope it is a benign virus - not cool if it is of the kind that steals information.

From what you say it looks like their anti-virus program is doing its job, i.e. it caught a virus before it could infect the computer and informed the user about it. Isn’t this what anti-virus programs are supposed to do?

---------------

Maestro

From what you say it looks like their anti-virus program is doing its job, i.e. it caught a virus before it could infect the computer and informed the user about it. Isn’t this what anti-virus programs are supposed to do?

Very true maestro. But a facility that sophisticated and critical I would have thought they would put in a multi-level protection scheme. For example, ever since I put in a virus pre-scanner on our firewall at our facility that intercepts all e-mail coming in before it gets passed on to the user I have not seen a virus on any of the computers (except from external media including CDs).

Before I did it, it was a running battle to keep reminding the staff to keep up to date on their scanners and repairing attacked computers and I just got really tired of it. I get dozens of messages everyday from the server indicating a virus was removed which meant it was killed before the e-mail gets to the user. Simple to install and configure including fully automatic daily updates to the server scanner.

---------------

Maestro

Yes, but if it was contained then I would expect to see it on one or two PCs. I saw it popping up all over the place.

Not sure if this belongs under the Health forum topic or under the "Internet and Computers" section. Anyway, I was at Bumrungrad today and noticed "Trend Micro Officescan" popping up with virus warnings on several computers.

//Moved

Sounds like a worm propogating around the network. If the office computers are all well protected its probably from someone plugging in their notebook with a panthip special version of win98 that's full of bugs. Your IT people need to lock down the network with mac address filtering to keep these digital pitri dishes off the network.

Your topic title is quite misleading. Then why should it be in the health section???

Because people who visit the health section are more likely to be hospital patients, and because a computer virus/worm/trojan in a hospital is a threat to the integrity and privacy of their medical records.

Your topic title is quite misleading. Then why should it be in the health section???

Because people who visit the health section are more likely to be hospital patients, and because a computer virus/worm/trojan in a hospital is a threat to the integrity and privacy of their medical records.

Yes sure.