My puu yai is a pretty decent guy

Gecko123

His father was the puu yai (village head man) before him. I have to say I didn't care for his father too much. He was pretty old school. Foreigner not belong here, that sort of thing. But his son, Dit, was a lot cooler. More friendly. Treated me like I was a constituent, even though I've never come within 500 feet of a ballot box. Very affable, even though there's a slight note of distrust in his eyes when our eyes meet. But that's probably because there's a note of distrust in my eyes as well.

Actually, it's his wife, Iiang, who I like even more. She's very dark complected, while her husband is light complected. Every time I read on Thai Visa about how Thai people are racially prejudiced, I think of this couple. Some of their kids are light complected, others favor their mother's coloring and are quite dark complected. I'm sure they love their kids equally. 

I think Iiang's got a crush on me. Bofore you start thinking romantic entanglement, she's got six kids, which is more responsibility than I'm in a position to take on. But she's always been very understanding and helpful to me. Patiently tries to understand me. Laughs at my jokes. Compliments me when the opportunity presents itself. To my surprise they've supported me when I've solicited their help to arbitrate a noise complaint or two. 

The other day, puu yai Dit asked me to borrow 3,000 baht. I almost turned him down. Thank God, I didn't! I don't care if he ever pays me back! To have the puu yai indebted to you? Manna from heaven! It occured to me later that maybe all their friendliness was just laying the groundwork for asking me for a loan. But that's just cynical thinking, I told myself. Actually, I think he will pay me back. Just a temporary loan until the corn gets harvested. But if he doesn't, that's OK. Money well spent.

Having a good relationship with the puu yai has provided me with a measure of comfort, and a sense of belonging in my village.

So, does anyone else have a story about their puu yai that they'd like to share? 

Well everyone to their own l guess, sorry but to me you sound intimidated by Thais, the head of "my" village wouldn't dare come ask me for money.

I have a large number of Thai friends and know there's no problem with anyone here only a few jealous nasty ones that have be careful if they say anything bad about me,  l am surprised at your posting.

Im kinda surprised by the post as well. Kept waiting for a point to come. Your Poo Yai is hardly indebted to you. Besides the dude is just a village headman and puts his pants on just like you do. 

Our Poo Yai assisted my wife in the paperwork (and verifying her "Character") to purchase a legal handgun for the protection of her property, and came for my yellow tabien baan. Wasn't free though so just another business transaction. 

Edited by Strange

39 minutes ago, Strange said:

Im kinda surprised by the post as well. Kept waiting for a point to come. Your Poo Yai is hardly indebted to you. Besides the dude is just a village headman and puts his pants on just like you do. 

Our Poo Yai assisted my wife in the paperwork (and verifying her "Character") to purchase a legal handgun for the protection of her property, and came for my yellow tabien baan. Wasn't free though so just another business transaction. 

When the puu yai's role as an intermediary between you, the land office, the amphoe office, the police, neighbors in your moo ban, as well as the influence of their opinions in the community is considered, describing him as "just another dude who puts his pants on one leg at a time like everybody else" suggests a lack of understanding of the important role they play in a small village.

2 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:
52 minutes ago, Strange said:

When the puu yai's role as an intermediary between you, the land office, the amphoe office, the police, neighbors in your moo ban, as well as the influence of their opinions in the community is considered, describing him as "just another dude who puts his pants on one leg at a time like everybody else" suggests a lack of understanding of the important role they play in a small village.

Nope, I completely understand the role they play. Im not about to kiss anyones ass about it though. 90% of the time their presence is simply a formality. I need something, they have to be present, I'm friendly, smiley, pay what needs to be paid to get it done, and walk away.  

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Well everyone to their own l guess, sorry but to me you sound intimidated by Thais, the head of "my" village wouldn't dare come ask me for money.

I have a large number of Thai friends and know there's no problem with anyone here only a few jealous nasty ones that have be careful if they say anything bad about me,  l am surprised at your posting.

I was surprised that the puu yai asked me for a loan as well. I would have thought he'd be too proud to make such a request, especially with his wife (who I didn't see through the tinted windshield) sitting right there. I've lived here 13 years, and this was the first time ever that such a request was ever made. On a certain level it can be argued that it reflects well on my approachability that he would have the courage to ask me for a loan. I certainly don't aspire to being feared by my neighbors. Some may equate being feared with being respected, but from what I've observed, its more akin to being disliked, especially in a small rural village.

Edited by Gecko123

5 minutes ago, Strange said:

Nope, I completely understand the role they play. Im not about to kiss anyones ass about it though. 90% of the time their presence is simply a formality. I need something, they have to be present, I'm friendly, smiley, pay what needs to be paid to get it done, and walk away.  

It's interesting you keep mentioning having to pay for your puu yai to help you. I've never paid mine a dime.

5 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

It's interesting you keep mentioning having to pay for your puu yai to help you. I've never paid mine a dime.

Im happy to pay. Wife is happy, poo yai is happy and comes when asked, and keeps me at arms length so I don't get asked for more money outside of regular formalities. 

Didn't you just write a wall of text saying you gave your poo yai 3k?

Edited by Strange