Paris holds second ‘car-free day’ against pollution

webfact

Paris holds second ‘car-free day’ against pollution

606x341_344927.jpg

PARIS: -- Paris has held its second ‘car-free day’, extending the area closed off to vehicles as the French capital takes a stand against pollution, noise and traffic jams.

Instead bikes, skates, scooters, rollerblades, joggers and pedestrians were welcome to move around some of the world’s best-known tourist districts and beyond.

The city says last year’s first car free day helped reduce emissions and noise significantly.

Several other European cities – though not London – have staged similar car-free days.

Other world cities to follow Paris’ example include New York, Casablanca and Marrakesh.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-09-26

1 hour ago, masuk said:

The solution, as with most large Western, Chinese and Singaporean cities, is to have a fast and efficient METRO system.    These need to extend out to the suburbs to collect commuters.

not sure if just one day makes much of a difference, raises awareness i suppose. the no plastic bag day once a month does not seem to have made any difference at all in thailand. 

would be great to see a congestion charge in bangkok. i hope i never have to drive a car through that city ever again.

Its funny that this push back on car usage is happening at the exact same time that governments are pushing the public to rush to their friendly local banker and take out a new car loan to keep the car industry viable. It increases indebtedness, congestion, and pollution. Good old contrarian governments telling people they have to much debt and then lower interest rates to zero so they can afford to consume more.