Phu Nam Ron, Kanchanchanaburi crossing open again

After reports this crossing was closed to visa runners I went there today and was able to do my usual 90 border hop.

Was told the border crossing is only open for holders of a Thai visa, no visa exempt.

Also I did not need a Burmese Visa as previously reported.

Small change in procedure.

Pay only 10 bht on the Thai side for the passport copy.

Pay 950 bht on the Burmese side when you get your passport stamped.

I'll be looking into the possibility of a more DIY solution next time as there was a 1 hour wait for transport across.

Was told there is less of a waiting time if you arrive earlier, I got there at 10 am.

P_20160926_124626.jpg

1 hour ago, elviajero said:

Sounds like the argument over who gets paid what out of the 900+ baht fee is over!

Yes, I never understood why the Burmese no longer took 'their' 500bht at the Immigration office as Mae Sot and Mae Sai do.

Thinking about it, when I first went to Nam Ron years ago, I actually handed over 500 bht to Burmese Immigration because I actually had to go into the office myself. Next time I went it was more organised and all the visa runners had the luxury of remaining in the minibus having previously paid for the 'vip' service.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

so a stamp there costs more than a visa at the embassy....

border officials must be happy

Dont really see how a stamp at Phu Nam Ron costs more than visa at embassy. For me i live near border so why would i pay the expense of travelling to bangkok to get visa i dont need for the below costs which aint cheaper....

Same-day visas cost 1260 baht. Next-day visas cost about 1000 baht. Three day visas cost about 810 baht - cheapest option. It was not always easy to get the same-day-visa and that you need good reason to support the urgency. Normally Staff at the Myanmar Visa section are open to your argument. Moreover a proof of means to get out of the country e.g round trip ticket is needed.