Ford Thailand agrees to buy back faulty cars from customers

Ford Thailand agrees to buy back faulty cars from customers

2609002-wpcf_728x410.jpg

BANGKOK:-- Ford Thailand has agreed to buy back faulty Ford Focus and Ford Fiesta cars from customers based on case by case basis after negotiations between the company’s management and representatives of car buyers.

About 200 buyers of the two models of Ford cars demonstrated in front of Ford Thailand head office at Sathorn Square building on Sathorn road to demand the company to show responsibility for the faulty cars.

Most of the faulty Ford Focus and Ford Fiesta cars experience shuddering of power shift gear system, delay in acceleration. Many of the buyers have lodged complaints with the Consumers Protection Committee, Foundation for Consumers and

Crime Suppression Division’s offences regarding consumers, demanding the company to take responsibility for the faulty cars.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/ford-thailand-agrees-buy-back-faulty-cars-customers/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-09-26

That I like and I own two fords ... the power of the people ... that gearbox is a disaster. 

When I bought a Fiesta last year was assured ok now and anyway you have a 10 year warranty on it. Haven't had any problem up to now except one time having to go up a steep hill very slowly as it was full of potholes, four up, it couldn't make up it's mind which gear it wanted and made me look like I needed 'L' plates.

Now have the latest gearbox software. It's driving ok at present ...hope it continues. And in the future that it won't live at the dealership

There are class actions in usa and aussie land ... wonder how those will turn out.

I had a 2012 Fiesta that developed a shudder when changing 1st to 2nd (if I remember correctly). I took it to the dealership and they fixed the problem, more or less. There were occasions when I had been driving longer distances with a heavy load (driver + 3 passengers) where the gearbox didn't shift as smoothly as it should have. This occurred during traffic jams at low speeds or starting from the lights.

Sold it a month or so ago, bought a CX-3, and am loving the extra power and excellent 6-speed auto. I do miss the tight handling of the fiesta though. It really was impressive for a car in that price range.

34 minutes ago, Goldieinkathu said:

Tondelayo

We're on our 4th new clutch in 5 years!! Took our complaint to the Consumer Protection Office in Phuket .They are fighting it for us.Takes about a month , we're expecting to hear on the 1st October.

I wrote to the Consumer Protection Office in February about CTH. The also told me it takes about a month. Still waiting to hear from them....... I hope you have better luck but don't hold your breath.

@Bangkok Barry

We've already been told by them that Ford have already settled with some customers in Phuket. There's a queue according to them and it will take time. From what they told us different customers have settled for different amounts, as pointed out in the article it's a case by case basis.

They were very professional and very helpful in all aspects , I actually came away feeling hopeful for once.

We were there for almost 3 hours and had many papers to make copies of, a full history to write and photo's to attach. It was not something we could have written to them about.

Copies of our complaint were then sent to Bangkok, the Phuket dealer and they kept a record for themselves.

I have been writing all the details on the forum and will add any new info when it happens.:wai:

4 hours ago, Tondelayo said:

Thank God for online forums as myself and another expat were again in battle mode at Ford Phuket yesterday, 6 combined transmission repairs on 2 (newish) Fords. Can anyone please advise on the best person/department to contact. Thanks in advance.

We had our ford ranger in the phuket ford dealer with a faulty transmission  11 times for a total time in the workshop of 35 days opprox

and 18 months before they fixed the problem, after it had been in the workshop about 4 times over 6 months i checked Australian and South African  ford owners web sites which both said it was the valve body which was faulty and needed rep;lacing

Took them another 12 months before they eventually replaced the valve body and fixed the problem

We now drive up to Ford Phangnga for ford servicing so far much better than Phuket, fingers crossed 

27 minutes ago, JaseTheBass said:

I've recently been looking for a manual 5-door second-hand Fiesta 1.6 Sport to keep the missus happy as she says the clonker is too big around town.

I have only seen one and that was sold a few months ago. Rare as rocking horse poo-poo.

I didn't know they were even available in Thailand. Had a manual 1.6 sport been available I'd have preferred that myself. It seems here that only the lowest models are manual :blink: Automatic's in my opinion are so boring to drive.

16 minutes ago, Goldieinkathu said:

I didn't know they were even available in Thailand. Had a manual 1.6 sport been available I'd have preferred that myself. It seems here that only the lowest models are manual :blink: Automatic's in my opinion are so boring to drive.

They were an option, especially a few years ago. I think you might still be able to get a manual 4 door, but that is one ugly rump!

I'll keep looking and I'm in no hurry to spend 300k on a second car.

While there was a manual 1.6 Fiesta overseas, I can remember asking to test drive a 5-door in Bangkok in 2011 and being told the only manual they had was the lowest priced sedan.

This was a dealer that had around twenty new Fiestas on the forecourt ready to sell.

From a 2011 brochure for the NEW Fiesta sedan. Can't find the brochure for the 5-door.

Fiesta 1.jpg

30 minutes ago, Goldieinkathu said:

@Kerry

To my knowledge the 5 door brochure was the same. We bought in 2011 and there wasn't a 1.6 manual available although I saw they had them in the UK.

JaseTheBass, I'd tell your missus to grab that one online if I were you :biggrin:

Probably wrong in the advert or someone has cobbled one together. I'll pass.

• 1 month later...
On 27/09/2016 at 10:47 AM, Goldieinkathu said:

@Bangkok Barry

We've already been told by them that Ford have already settled with some customers in Phuket. There's a queue according to them and it will take time. From what they told us different customers have settled for different amounts, as pointed out in the article it's a case by case basis.

They were very professional and very helpful in all aspects , I actually came away feeling hopeful for once.

We were there for almost 3 hours and had many papers to make copies of, a full history to write and photo's to attach. It was not something we could have written to them about.

Copies of our complaint were then sent to Bangkok, the Phuket dealer and they kept a record for themselves.

I have been writing all the details on the forum and will add any new info when it happens.:wai:

Do you think the office will take care of us if we bought the car second hand (a 2012 fiesta sport) 

@manonthemon,

I don't see why not, you're point would be that you can't sell it due to the bad reputation or if you did it's at a huge loss. Is it showing the same problems? It's on a case by case basis, so you should at least try, they'll tell you in the consumer protection office what your rights are.

Yes, I'm only looking for a car. The Fiesta is just perfect and I think I found a reliable seller (after weeks of encountering one scammer after another)...but the transmission. 

I'm taking the car for a checkup at Ford dealer in Phuket, will ask about the warranty then. 

3 hours ago, manonthemon said:

Yes, I'm only looking for a car. The Fiesta is just perfect and I think I found a reliable seller (after weeks of encountering one scammer after another)...but the transmission. 

I'm taking the car for a checkup at Ford dealer in Phuket, will ask about the warranty then. 

Good luck with Ford in Phuket. I"m sure that will make up your mind :giggle:

For anyone with the 1Ltr Ecoboost. Two points to watch.

Oil consumption is high so check level frequently.

Water pump seal is suspect so check header tank frequently. If it uses water odds are a replacement punp is required.