Emergency lane for ambulances opens in Bangkok

webfact

Emergency lane for ambulances now opens

emergency-lane-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Bangkok today opens the country's first 2-kilometre long emergency lane to facilitate ambulances to deliver patient to hospital faster.

However penalty for violation of the lane by other vehicles won’t be enforced, but on a voluntary cooperation basis instead.

The emergency starts from the foot of the Din Daeng expressway to Rajavithi hospital.

The opening of the first emergency lane was presided over by deputy speaker of the National Legislative Assembly Mr Surachai Liangboonlertchai.

The Royal Thai Police deputy commissioner Pol Gen Pongsapat Pongcharoen also co-chaired the opening of the special lane.

The lane will run from the foot of the Din Daeng expressway close to the Vibhavadi junction, along the Samliem Din Daeng flyover to Rajavithi road, Victory Monument, and ends at Rajavithi hospital.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/emergency-lane-ambulances-now-opens/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-09-27

2 hours ago, Cuchulainn said:

Yeah! That'll work.

Actually it does, I saw it in action the other day. 

It allows for drivers to move over, especially on the bridge going into Victory Monument from Din Daeng.

It is a great idea but I guess it is easier just to Thai bash and not engage your brain. 

1 minute ago, PremiumLane said:

It allows for drivers to move over, especially on the bridge going into Victory Monument from Din Daeng.

It is a great idea but I guess it is easier just to Thai bash and not engage your brain. 

In a country where motorbikes own the pedestrian sidewalks I can appreciate a bit of skepticism from some members of TVF.

1 hour ago, PremiumLane said:

On every occasion I've seen an ambulance with lights and siren going almost none of the ignorant selfish brain dead drivers move over . Perhaps my brain had engaged the wrong gear?

Yeah good idea 'engage brain"

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

In most countries, ambulances & all emergency vehicles have right of way & all other traffic must  give way.

If impede, there is a very heavy fine + loss of licence for period of time depending on circumstance.

Here, ambulances just sit in traffic & too bad about the patient....quicker to get a taxi if need hospital!!

Voluntary as to whether you observe the lanes.  Um well this project was a complete waste of time and money.  Seriously has any ever seen a vehicle move out of the way of an emergency vehicle in Thailand.  What about the bicycle lanes that can't be used because cars and motorcycles have them closed up.  If you are going to spend money on these projects then enforce thier use.  Sounds like someone just lined thier pockets on a worthless project.

4 minutes ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Wow! Two whole KMs,  what a joke  This is certainly a Thai style idea!  Many times

I have seen ambulances and fire trucks trying to get somewhere and the other drivers

ignoring them completely.  What a country!

Geezer

The Thai never learned how to drive and don't know what to do in case of emergency. Also the ambulance/police don't know how to use their alarmsignals, they use it whenever they like....And anybody can use blue/red alarmlights so it doesn't ring a bell to them.

Actually there has been motorcycle ambulance service here in Bangkok for several decades.  As for pulling over for emergency vehicles see this happening much more often in recent years - most people will do if they can - but with only a fraction of the road-space required there often is no option to move.

Bike-for-web.jpg

17 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

There is always someone who has to defend everything when most people know it can't be defended. You will be telling us next that the driving in the country is of a high standard and has hardly any accidents.

It isn't Thai bashing it is pointing out the obvious.