A Hua Hin newbie, help please!

KIO

Hi all,

Instead of creating several threads I'll write all my queries in one. Feel free answering as many or few as you want...

- I will be living in the southern parts of HH; south of Soi 102, what beaches are the best beaches visiting if you're looking for the less touristy experience? I've been reading about the Takiab beach, any thoughts on the southern parts of that stretch of sand and any specific spots better parking than others?

- Are there any nice areas (eg. parks) where one can have a hour power walk in the morning without being attacked by stray dogs?

- My son, who is 8 years old, has been playing golf since he was 4. I know there are several "famous" golf courses in HH but I'm looking for him to joining i Jr. program where they have 1-2 group practices a week... any recommendations?

- Food... cheap and good food! I'm aware I won't be finding the 30 b places in HH but all hardcore Thai food joints are of interest! Where are they?

Many thanks in advance!

KIO

I am living in Khao Tao (Soi 101).

For me, Hua Hin is not so famous for beaches and I am also no so the beach vacation type. There are so many beaches and I thing you have to figure out yourself.

Khao Takiap is very crowded every weekend. The all the condos are occupied by the Bangkok Thais.

The Sai Noi beach in Khao Tao is very nice. The water is enough deep for swimming. The beach is more crowded with foreigner but also with Thais at the weekends.

The Sea Pine beach is a real Thai beach. It is always crowed with Thai at the weekends. But it is a very peaceful ambience. The water is relative shallow. A similar beach is the Pranburi Forest Park.

There are many more beaches south, towards Prachuap Khiri Khan.

I cannot help with Golf or walking/jogging. They start to build now some bicycle routes and there are many lovely tracks south of Hua Hin or up towards the mountains.

There are so many restaurants in Hua Hin. It is really very hard to give an advise. It is always a good indication, when many Thais are eating in a restaurant. Then the food is good and cheap.

2 hours ago, juehoe said:

I am living in Khao Tao (Soi 101).

For me, Hua Hin is not so famous for beaches and I am also no so the beach vacation type. There are so many beaches and I thing you have to figure out yourself.

Khao Takiap is very crowded every weekend. The all the condos are occupied by the Bangkok Thais.

The Sai Noi beach in Khao Tao is very nice. The water is enough deep for swimming. The beach is more crowded with foreigner but also with Thais at the weekends.

The Sea Pine beach is a real Thai beach. It is always crowed with Thai at the weekends. But it is a very peaceful ambience. The water is relative shallow. A similar beach is the Pranburi Forest Park.

There are many more beaches south, towards Prachuap Khiri Khan.

I cannot help with Golf or walking/jogging. They start to build now some bicycle routes and there are many lovely tracks south of Hua Hin or up towards the mountains.

There are so many restaurants in Hua Hin. It is really very hard to give an advise. It is always a good indication, when many Thais are eating in a restaurant. Then the food is good and cheap.

Many thanks for the tips juehoe! Can you tell me a little bit more about the area where you are living as I'm looking to be renting something long term (well, 5 months atleast) in the southern parts of HH as I will be commuting daily to soi 89. If you have any "inside" info in regards to what I'm looking for please don't hesitate sending me a PM or a reply in this thread: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/942280-cheap-gated-community-south-of-soi-112-tips-please/

Cheers

Kio

Edited by KIO

If I may ask why south ? I ask because that is a very crowded area compared to the northern area. If you have your own transport I would look north and if not the south because of easier access to Blu port and Market village. There are many hidden beaches to the north (between HH and Cha-am) which is empty most of the time and also don't have horses all over the beach.

As for golf I don't play the game but there is a well known guy giving lessons near to Huahin Hospital (government), you will see the nets. He should be able to help you.

As for food I can recommend a number of places but they are difficult to find if you don't know the place. But lets try some, go up Soi 6 over the traffic light and turn right (the new 711 on your left), continue pass the temple about 300 m on you will get to a big tree on your left side (if you get to a car wash you went to far) and normally there will be a number of vehicles around. She sells great Thai food at between B 30 and B 45 per plate, be aware she close shop on an ad hoc basis). Best fried chicken in town, the soi between Eastern Square (empty) mall and the IT centre, as you walk up on you left hand side across from the IT centre entrance. Best Tom Yum noodles, on your way to Cha-am you pass the HH PTT on your left you continue until you get to the next PTT on your left, across the road from the PTT there is a restaurant that sells the best Tom Yum noodles (B 45 for a bowl), their over food is also good. Best ice coffee, at Makro HH. Best up market Thai food that's affordable, you drive north and go through the tunnel and pass Venezia mall on you left, at the next u turn you turn back towards HH, just before you get back to the tunnel there is a road that turn off to the left (just about across from the Palm Hill turn off), you take that road and turn left at the next road, this road stops at the sea (good beach to visit at low tide) just before however a road turns to the right, take this road and the entrance to the restaurant is on your left. Great sea views and food, good place for dinner, price per head for starter and mains +- B 400. Best Lanna noodles, a small restaurant next to Esso in Phetkasem road (between soi 53 and 55) close to where Pen and Paper was before. When I say best it is for me the best and taste differ. Enjoy your stay and PM me if you need any further info, I will try to help.

Commenting on your excellent questions, I would add that I haven't found the park you speak of in Hua Hin.  I hear some people go to the park near the King's Palace at certain prescribed times which I am unaware of. As in most of the area parking would be a challenge there.

If I may compare and contrast on a visit to Chiang Mai, I found the most beautiful park downtown where they had a track, a par (fitness) course surrounding the track and a pickleball and badminton venue.  Truly beautiful with trees, water and many varieties of vegetation.

Over here in Pranburi, they have recently taken away the outdoor equipment including a pull up system I utilized in the mornings.  Hua Hin and Pranburi would be great near the beaches if a few Octagons by Escape Fitness, a UK company would be installed.

A wonderful food location is Eco Harmony Cafe on Soi 6 in Kao Takiab.  The best restaurant in the area.

While your in town join us at True Arena for Pickleball, Tuesday, Thursday or Saturday from 10-12 for a high intensity fun workout with no dogs nearby!!

Many thanks for the extencive replys, seems that I won't go hungry!

SOUTHERNSTAR: Reason for me prefering the southern parts is that I will be commuting daily to Soi 89 and the Mrs. will be using the car after dropping me off daytime before picking me up again in the afternoon again on Soi 89. If living in the northern parts this would mean driving 4 times daily through rushhour traffic as opposed if living in the southern parts this will not be the case. Please correct me if I'm thinking wrong and if the traffic isn't that bad; I've just heard what my father in law has said in regards to the traffic who's only there a week per year...

I'm aware of the many secluded and quiet beaches between C-A and HH and that will make for great weekend trips. Thanks for the golf tip, will check it out!

sledpull: It's a shame in regards to the park/recreational area... though I'll definetly check the King palace place you're mentioning. How's the Takiab beach for walking; wide or narrow (maby depending on the tide), soft or hard, doginfested or dogfree?

Thanks for the offer, busy during weekdays but I'll definetly take you up on the offer on the weekend if my sons golf doesn't interfear!

Cheers

KIO

Edited by KIO

By serendipity, I just found a tree covered natural shade with a walking path (concrete) and par course equipment in Pranburi that unfortunately has deteriorated.  I did find one sturdy piece of equipment that can utilize suspension and ring training.

Across the street almost hidden was a tree covered badminton/pickleball court.  Your thread led to these discoveries. Thanks

19 minutes ago, sledpull said:

By serendipity, I just found a tree covered natural shade with a walking path (concrete) and par course equipment in Pranburi that unfortunately has deteriorated.  I did find one sturdy piece of equipment that can utilize suspension and ring training.

Across the street almost hidden was a tree covered badminton/pickleball court.  Your thread led to these discoveries. Thanks

Great! So where is this "serenipity"?

KIO

22 hours ago, KIO said:

Many thanks for the extencive replys, seems that I won't go hungry!

SOUTHERNSTAR: Reason for me prefering the southern parts is that I will be commuting daily to Soi 89 and the Mrs. will be using the car after dropping me off daytime before picking me up again in the afternoon again on Soi 89. If living in the northern parts this would mean driving 4 times daily through rushhour traffic as opposed if living in the southern parts this will not be the case. Please correct me if I'm thinking wrong and if the traffic isn't that bad; I've just heard what my father in law has said in regards to the traffic who's only there a week per year...

I'm aware of the many secluded and quiet beaches between C-A and HH and that will make for great weekend trips. Thanks for the golf tip, will check it out!

sledpull: It's a shame in regards to the park/recreational area... though I'll definetly check the King palace place you're mentioning. How's the Takiab beach for walking; wide or narrow (maby depending on the tide), soft or hard, doginfested or dogfree?

Thanks for the offer, busy during weekdays but I'll definetly take you up on the offer on the weekend if my sons golf doesn't interfear!

Cheers

KIO

I fully understand why you stay in the south now. The traffic is only bad between Soi 102 and the palace. But bad is relative as its only bad for HH and not for CM or BKK. There is however a back road that pass Market village, the train station and links up with the canal road and Cha-am. When Phetkasem is bad you can use this back road to drive on the north / south route. Enjoy your stay.

4 hours ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

I fully understand why you stay in the south now. The traffic is only bad between Soi 102 and the palace. But bad is relative as its only bad for HH and not for CM or BKK. There is however a back road that pass Market village, the train station and links up with the canal road and Cha-am. When Phetkasem is bad you can use this back road to drive on the north / south route. Enjoy your stay.

Great, thanks for the tip on the back road, might come in handy!