American Expats Adopting in Thailand?

troubletribbles

Hello,

My wife and I are both Americans, we've been living in Bangkok for over a year now and we are looking to adopt in Thailand, we plan on staying in Thailand. I've looked around the web and these forums and feel more confused than when I started. I know there are specific regulations and rules based on your nationality but I'm not sure if that applies to "in-country" adoption. Basically we are wondering where to start, how long does the process takes, and would we even be eligible?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

It's great that you want to adopt. There are many children in orphanages here waiting to be adopted. First step is to contact the DSDW. They are not great about answering the phones, so a personal visit is best. Go to this building and speak to the receptionist on the second floor. A social worker who speaks English will sit down with you and go over the requirements. She will give you a packet of information to fill out if you want to proceed. 

Here's the office: DSDW office

It's free to adopt in Thailand. 

Do be aware that if you are a resident expat, you will have to remain in country for two years with your child before the U.S. will give your child citizenship. The current waiting time to be matched with a child is at around two years, at least. After that, there is a 6-month trial period where the child lives with you and the DSDW will check in three times to make sure everything's OK. 

So you're looking at a minimum of four years between starting the process and eventually returning to the U.S. with your child, if that's what you want. If you move out of the country while you're waiting for a match, you do keep your place on the waiting list. I'm not sure how it affects the U.S. requirement, though. 

Please join the BAMBI Adoption Facebook group for more info and to keep up on what's going on. Good luck!!

BAMBI Adoption Support