Trackable SIM cards for foreigners to be decided on next month

webfact

1 hour ago, performance said:

These Thais are brain damaged and have damaged the country. They simply think let's go right to the end. Let's make Thais desperate and criminals. We have deleted all tourists. We are taking all the countries money. We do not like foreigners. We are the regime.

The regime does not know shit from shineola.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 hours ago, scotchonrocks said:

So let's get this straight. 

1) There will be some obligation on any foreigner entering the country to have a phone,

2) To be compulsory to have a local SIM card in said phone (foreign SIMs barred?)

3) Have the phone powered up at all times so said foreigner can always be traced. What about when the phone's battery goes down or the phone is u/s? Will they pay us to keep our phones powered up?

4) if my "flen" lends me her phone. Can I now be arrested for "carrying an illegal phone?

5) Roaming no longer allowed or possible? What if I am roaming on my friend's overseas phone?

6) Will it be illegal to switch off your phone in the cinema or meetings. Will you pay a price for being "out of coverage area??

<deleted>? Can they not see this is a goddam stupid idea dreamed up by brainless bureaucrats with no understanding of how the world works. Maybe they have been on a fact finding tour of North Korea.

Stupid, unworkable and utterly ill conceived.

Nicely summed up and correct final para. I still love it here  - but.......?

Was just telling my Thai friend about this and he diagressed onto junta talk. He said the people prefer to junta to the old way and 70% support them. Next most popular is Taksin at 30%! So the junta is more than twice as popular as Taksin. 

My friend said Thai people need this kind of nonsense .. it's cultural!

Kind of whacky but this guy is able to articulate Thai sentiment well and I always listen to his comments intently.

The more you squeeze a half inflated balloon, the more it escapes your grasp!

i am not in a position to comment on my host countries political activities and even when pressed for an opinion by immigration, refused to do so. Remember chaps we are guests in this country, we have no "automatic right " to be here.

respect or shut up.

:sorry:

Edited by The Dark Lord
Spelling

All phones which connect to a mobile phone network can be traced, the phone has its own ID number known as the IMEI number.

Even if you change your sim card the IMEI number doesn't change as it's hard coded into the phone so they can trace you across multiple sims if you use the same phone. I'm sure they will pay special attention to people who change their sim cards on a regular basis but don't change their phone - these are people who are likely to be hiding something, they're doing it wrong but I believe it's a common mistake.

If you want to see your IMEI number / numbers just pick up the phone and dial *#06# and press call - they will be shown on the screen. Dual sim phones will have more than one IMEI.

This whole subject is retarded, they can trace whoever thay want at will and have been able to do so for many years.

Edited by ukrules

20 hours ago, malagateddy said:

I think that many expats will be the same as I re. mobile phones.

I.e., the wife has 2 phones, one for herself and the other one is mine, both registered in her name.

I don't see this as a big issue, as when doing your extension of permission to stay/ 90 day report,

you give the powers that be your phone number.

you give the powers that be your phone number.

Only if you have one. If you don't, leave blank. Or if you do, leave blank. Who's to know?

1) There will be some obligation on any foreigner entering the country to have a phone,

2) To be compulsory to have a local SIM card in said phone (foreign SIMs barred?)

3) Have the phone powered up at all times so said foreigner can always be traced. What about when the phone's battery goes down or the phone is u/s? Will they pay us to keep our phones powered up?

4) if my "flen" lends me her phone. Can I now be arrested for "carrying an illegal phone?

5) Roaming no longer allowed or possible? What if I am roaming on my friend's overseas phone?

6) Will it be illegal to switch off your phone in the cinema or meetings. Will you pay a price for being "out of coverage area??

<deleted>? Can they not see this is a goddam stupid idea dreamed up by brainless bureaucrats with no understanding of how the world works. Maybe they have been on a fact finding tour of North Korea.

Indeed.

A real prostitutes pregnancy - conceived in great haste, at much expense and bound to result in an abortion.

More egg on the face of Thailand, well at least some officials, even a high school kid would know it wouldn't work. First thing would be, how do we STOP tourist using the SIM card from their home country, not rocket science, but seemed to elude those not so smart officials.How do they expect the younger generation to rise to the occasion with such dumb leaders. As the saying goes "it's hard to soar like an eagle, when surrounded by turkeys."

That a country should look for ways to counter possible terrorist act is normal, understandable and commendable.

With this sim card tracking project, however, the problem is that :

1/- The assumption is that only foreigners can be dangerous, which is not only stupid but downright xenophobic. No big surprise there.

2/- There are a million ways to go around it if you are an ill-intentioned person. Ill-intentioned persons find ways around this kind of technical glitch, and easily, because that's what bad guys do. So, in the end, who does it bother ? Normal, nice and friendly visitors or expats. Is that the kind of people Thai authorities want to annoy, hassle and harass ? I sometimes begin to wonder ...

I've been living in this country for 15 years and it's been a wonderful experience. Mostly. But lately the attitude against foreigners is beginning to get at me. Not that it's specific to this administration. The Thaksin clan was often quite nasty to foreigners, in and out of Thailand, accusing them of just about every evil this country had to face, which is what demagogues around the world do, with Mr Trump as their latest leader. So what's the difference here and now in Thailand ? Well ... it's in the street, in the shops, the MRT, the market ... we encounter more and more obvious xenophobia there, and it's not that people didn't feel it before, but now they're beginning to feel that it's OK to show it clearly.

Unfortunately for the human race, racism is natural. Civilization is not. When the authorities in any country start to play with that kind of fire, the outcome is always ugly.

Edited by Yann55

For quite a long time the immigration in Pattaya request farangs to write their mobile number on almost every form. I am sure they track us already, if they have some reason against somebody. There is no special SIM necessary to track somebody. You just need the phone number or the IMEI. In Europe they can do the same. The only difference is that in Europe they need a judicial permit to do so. I thing that in Thailand they just do it without any regulations.

Farangs just need a forced dose of radiation perhaps? Less mess..... Interesting point though. There are people with fobias of phones and also people that suffer health issues associated with phone radiation and can not even be round phonesq. Whether or not thats a real thing or not who knows.

If i get brain cancer in the future will the good general pay my medical bills. Why dont these <deleted> just grow some balls and say "<deleted>off we dont want you <deleted> here and heres a plane ticket home" be easier right? Stop hiding behind the national security skirt. Ethnic cleansing and such are becoming more frequent thoughts in my mind.

Should be careful with my words i guess or its balcony jumps or maybe 3sims for me. Lol

As the meeting is not till next month and a lot of people have valid points of why its a waste of time has anyone taken the time to email their respective embassies with the points?  Especially the UK, US people.  

Or are you just quite happy moaning about it on here

Just a thought, and you never know something might just come of it :coffee1:

5 hours ago, scotchonrocks said:

Was just telling my Thai friend about this and he diagressed onto junta talk. He said the people prefer to junta to the old way and 70% support them. Next most popular is Taksin at 30%! So the junta is more than twice as popular as Taksin. 

Kind of whacky but this guy is able to articulate Thai sentiment well and I always listen to his comments intently.

I take it your Thai friend is a trained social scientist with experience in survey design, sampling, and data analysis. Otherwise, his opinion is worth about as much as the electrons forming these letters...

p.s. my Thai gf would give you very different numbers based on her 'sample'...

3 hours ago, ukrules said:

All phones which connect to a mobile phone network can be traced, the phone has its own ID number known as the IMEI number.

Even if you change your sim card the IMEI number doesn't change as it's hard coded into the phone so they can trace you across multiple sims if you use the same phone. I'm sure they will pay special attention to people who change their sim cards on a regular basis but don't change their phone - these are people who are likely to be hiding something, they're doing it wrong but I believe it's a common mistake.

If you want to see your IMEI number / numbers just pick up the phone and dial *#06# and press call - they will be shown on the screen. Dual sim phones will have more than one IMEI.

This whole subject is retarded, they can trace whoever thay want at will and have been able to do so for many years.

Sure, but don't they need to have a name/identity associated with the IMEI? Knowing where a particular phone is without that is useless. Last time I bought a phone (overseas) I didn't have to give my identity. And not all of us use smartphones that require us to register with AppleGoogle

5 hours ago, scotchonrocks said:

Your friend is not your friend then. Hes descriminating against you by agreeing that you should be tracked. Your friend should be tracked for national security reasons. Future nationalistic suicide bomber in the making. No offense personally but the idea is ludicrous no matter how its spun. Blatent discrimination. 

I find that thais that have not lived sheltered lives dont agree with such rubbish.

7 minutes ago, Docno said:

Sure, but don't they need to have a name/identity associated with the IMEI? Knowing where a particular phone is without that is useless. Last time I bought a phone (overseas) I didn't have to give my identity. And not all of us use smartphones that require us to register with AppleGoogle

Well I had to present my passport to DTAC to prevent my phone getting disconnected last year.

<deleted>? Can they not see this is a goddam stupid idea dreamed up by brainless bureaucrats with no understanding of how the world works. Maybe they have been on a fact finding tour of North Korea.

Sabaai sabaai, just let them brainstorm and ruin their own market. It shows how they think of tourists and keeping them under the thumb. Which quality tourist will come when he/she can't use their own simcard anymore??? Exactly!  And of course the mandatory Sim will have the cheapest prices of the world, will it be DTAC or AIS is the question...

And what about people who have a worldSIM? They already paid to use it in every country for a fixed price.

Somchai the brainstormer will get his medal soon and after that they'll forget about the whole plan....just wait and see.

And what if you loose the whole phone with the mandatory Sim? It will be fun to see how tourists deal with it, or all go to another country?...maybe then the baht will drop finally so we still profit from it.

10 minutes ago, Ronuk said:

Good old TV. We've moved on to ethnic cleansing. Only here could ethnic cleansing be associated with a SIM card.

A lot of people really do need to be removed from here in Thailand  ASAP.

Yes, get rid of anyone asap that has some sort of opinion all be it over the top, overly imaginative.....im being sarcastic.....

Is this merely to legitimise another mandatory fee collection on foreigners? Quick buck solution to revenue issues?

As far as technology goes, it's already available, in place and likely in use for ages. If it's not, someone got scammed. :passifier:

Edited by HoboKay

Im going to go out on a limb and say something that may offend someone but...

Perhaps Thailand is trying to offer a new holiday experience for tourists. The fugitive or prison type holiday where your paranoid from the moment you get off the plane? 

My main concern for this is not just a money making scheme and that this tech will be used in ill faith on occasion. Even if it werent it raises that concern so for any government to concider such things for other wise innocent tourists (yes not all but mostly) while some people from the south can bomb as they see fit. It makes the country look like a real no go zone for so many reasons and not one reason is there to proceed. The money made vs bad vibes doesnt balance out in my mind.

My wife and i have decided if it goes ahead well be taking the children and leaving. We will not fund these clowns anymore. 

Yep....track those foreign scum down and keep tabs on them. they're ruining the Kingdom with their disgusting money and doing all that wild spending and propping up the economy. Let's show them how little we think of their kind. :passifier:

Absolutely amazing that a communist country like Laos, is far more welcoming and willing to let you retire there than Thailand, which bills itself as "free" and "democratic".    :rolleyes:

Edited by Jools