Can I obtain 30 day extension to tourist visa on arrival

Hi, I live in the UK but not close to a Thai consulate and so will very soon be applying by post to the Thai Embassy in London for my Thai visa. I have just booked my flights and will be in Thailand starting early Dec for just less than 4 months (exactly 111 days).  I am 63 years old and "self retired" from work a bit early as I have enough savings and a small personal pension.

I have just read through the post on METV (Multiple Entry Tourist Visa) ....... yes the whole 75 pages!  I gained some good information as some of you are very knowledgeable. 

I have decided to apply for the SETV (Single Entry Tourist Visa) because it required very little documentation, lasts 60 days and only costs £25.  While in Thailand I would need to apply for a 30 day extension.  Then I would need to leave Thailand to visit a nearby country, then on returning to Thailand get a Tourist Visa Exemption that lasts for up to 30 days. 

My questions are:-

1) Can I obtain the 30 day extension when I first arrive at Bangkok Suvarnabhum Airport. I will have a few hours spare between arriving and my flight to Khon Kaen.

If I can I would be most grateful for some details of where in the Airport I would need to go to obtain the extension.

2) A friend who lives in France (who I met in Thailand last year) is also going back to Thailand for about 4 months. He is maybe a couple of years older than myself. He said he was going to apply for an "O" visa but is not 100% sure.  I don't think he has travelled to Thailand much (the same as myself).

Could I apply for a non-immigrant type "O" visa. From what i just read on the London Thai Embassy web site it would be about the same overall cost and no need to apply for the 30 day extension.

Thanks in advance for any information

Keith

• Like 1

no you would need apply for 30 day extension near end at local immigration office.
Extensions cost 1,900Bt and wast about 4hrs inc commute time & possible more if not clued up on process .

your easiest no hassle option & low cost is setv from uk then pop out to penang malaysia or savannakhet laos (cambodia & vietnam also options) and pick up another setv for 1,000Bt . will be easy & nice little trip for 2 days or longer if want .

Edited by BuckBee

First of all, call it by it's correct name.

There is no such thing as a "30 day visa on arrival".

What you are referring too is a "visa exempt entry" which is available to certain nationalities, with  U.K. passport owners being one of them.

Technicaly you should arive in Thailand with a ticket out of Thailand after your 30 day visa exempt entry.

Not a "return ticket" although that would do also, but a "Ticket out of Thailand" to another country, even if it is only a neighboring country such as Laos, Cambodis, or Malaysia.

If you are given this "visa exempt 30 day entry" due to your nationality you may extnd that entry for another 30 days at your local immigration in Thailand for a fee of 1900 Baht.

This 30 day extension on a visa exempt entry has been possible since August 2015, just pay the fee at immigration.

usually you will get only one 30 day extension on a 30 day visa exempt entry.

Be aware that your airline may refuse to lrt  you board without a visa in your pasport OR a ticket out of Thailand within 30 days.

That is not a Thai immigration policy, it is a policy that th airline may choose to apply.

Some airlines do, some don't.

For that reason , it is better to have a Thai visa, even if only a 60 day tourist visa in your passport when you leave England than to rely on the 30 day visa free entry.

A 60 day single entry visa can also be extended at your local immigration office in Thailand for the same 1900 baht fee, giving you a total of a 60 day visa  entry plus 30 day extension.

You should get a sigle entry tourist visa before you leave England from the nearest Thai consulate to you.

The airlines will not stop you from boarding if you have a valid Thai visa, but you run the risk of not being allowed to board without a Thai visa in your passport.

As i said that is the choice of the airline.

Whichever way you choose to go  is up to you.

Edited by IMA_FARANG
correct typos

Your plan is fine. Get a SETV (60 days), extend it by 30 days, do a border hop at Nong Khai or Mukdahan and re-enter under the Visa Exempt Scheme (30 days). A METV would be slightly more convenient, but if you're only staying 111 days it's not really worth the extra cost.

1. No. Assuming you're living in Khon Kean you will need to apply for the extension at that office. They should let you apply anytime within the last 2 weeks.
  2. No. A Non 'O' (retirement) is only available (in the UK) to those receiving state pension.
Edited by elviajero

elvajero was faster.

With the SETV you are fine.

60 + 30 = 90. 30 day extension done at KK immigration.

For the remaining 21 days a border run at Nong Khai will give you a 30 day visa exemption entry (as a UK citizen).

You will have to pay for the visa on arrival for Laos.

(and this really is/makes it a "visa on arrival")

Of course other border runs are possible.

Edited by KhunBENQ

51 minutes ago, elviajero said:

Your plan is fine. Get a SETV (60 days), extend it by 30 days, do a border hop at Nong Khai or Mukdahan and re-enter under the Visa Exempt Scheme (30 days). A METV would be slightly more convenient, but if you're only staying 111 days it's not really worth the extra cost.

1. No. Assuming you're living in Khon Kean you will need to apply for the extension at that office. They should let you apply anytime within the last 2 weeks.
  2. No. A Non 'O' (retirement) is only available (in the UK) to those receiving state pension.

I think there is some confusion here regarding an 'O' Visa, two people saying the opposite. I obtained my 'O' visa in the UK before I received a government pension and then applied for a retirement extension originally in Bangkok.

23 minutes ago, DGS1244 said:

I think there is some confusion here regarding an 'O' Visa, two people saying the opposite. I obtained my 'O' visa in the UK before I received a government pension and then applied for a retirement extension originally in Bangkok.

How long ago was that? As far as I'm aware they no longer issue a Non 'O' unless receiving state pension and want the over 50's to buy the Non 'O-A'.

From the embassy website: http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/49

Category "O"   To visit Thai spouse, children, parents, voluntary job, retirement (with State Pension)

Category
"O-A" 

To applicants aged 50 and over who wish to stay in Thailand for an entended period without the intention of working. 

Non-Immigrant Type O

• Birth Certificate (applicant's child)
  • Certificate of Marriage or its equivalents (if married to Thai national)
  • a copy of marriage certificate,a copy of Thai passport/a copy of Thai ID of spouse and (3 months bank statement showing monthly income of more than £1,400 anuually.)
  • An official recommendation letter from organization perform voluntary job in Thailand (for volunteer job)
  • Pension statement if the applicant is a pension earner. 
Edited by elviajero

1 hour ago, steve187 said:

did you read the same op as i did, he is getting a tourist visa, and the mention of a tourist on arrival is referring to an extension to the afore mentioned tourist visa when he 'arrives' in Thailand 

The title says "VOA".  It's wrong.

3 hours ago, IMA_FARANG said:

What you are referring too is a "visa exempt entry" which is available to certain nationalities, with  U.K. passport owners being one of them.

Technicaly you should arive in Thailand with a ticket out of Thailand after your 30 day visa exempt entry.

Not a "return ticket" although that would do also, but a "Ticket out of Thailand" to another country, even if it is only a neighboring country such as Laos, Cambodis, or Malaysia.

If you are given this "visa exempt 30 day entry" due to your nationality you may extnd that entry for another 30 days at your local immigration in Thailand for a fee of 1900 Baht.

This 30 day extension on a visa exempt entry has been possible since August 2015, just pay the fee at immigration.

Be aware that your airline may refuse to lrt  you board without a visa in your pasport OR a ticket out of Thailand within 30 days.

That is not a Thai immigration policy, it is a policy that th airline may choose to apply.

For that reason , it is better to have a Thai visa, even if only a 60 day tourist visa in your passport when you leave England than to rely on the 30 day visa free entry.

A 60 day single entry visa can also be extended at your local immigration office in Thailand for the same 1900 baht fee, giving you a total of a 60 day visa  entry plus 30 day extension.

You should get a sigle entry tourist visa before you leave England from the nearest Thai consulate to you.

The airlines will not stop you from boarding if you have a valid Thai visa, but you run the risk of not being allowed to board without a Thai visa in your passport.

" There is no such thing as a "30 day visa on arrival". "

Not sure what you are referencing. In the heading he asks 

"Can I obtain 30 day extension to tourist visa on arrival"
He was asking if he could get the 30 day extension for his tourist visa entry as soon as he arrives. 
  • Like 1

Fithman – Thank you for the information and advice.

Buckbee – Thank you as well. After reading your good advice I will now aim to obtain another SETV.

IMA_FARANG – Thank you also. It is easy to misunderstand as the words are very similar but I did state a 30 day extension (to my SETV that I obtain before travelling) and  not 30 day visa exemption.  Sorry for the confusion. I was also aware what you wrote about not applying for any visa before travelling with the aim to get a 30 day visa exemption on arrival I think if you do not have proof of travel out of Thailand the Thai Authorities could tell the Airline to take you back at their cost. I think this is why some Airlines check for the onward travel.

Elviajero – I haven’t been to Nong Kai or Mukdahan ….. I think I will aim to go to Mukdahan as the Thai lady I am meeting has a sister living near Mukdahan. Thank you for explaining the “o” requirement.

I read many of your posts in the METV thread, you are so very very knowledgeable and very thorough.

KhunBENQ – Thank you for explaining and suggestions especially about the Laos visa

Steve187 & Suradit69 - Thanks

I think I now understand and can decide while there whether to apply for an extension or to travel and apply for a second SETV.

Thanks all, this is a great forum!

7 hours ago, ThaiWai said:

The title says "VOA".  It's wrong.

I dont see VOA anywhere in the title.    As stated he is asking if he can get an extension to is Tourist visa (SETV) upon arrival instead of waiting.

Did you read what the OP wrote? 

15 hours ago, IMA_FARANG said:

Is it "visa exempt" or "visa free", you have used both terms, after calling out the OP for not using the correct term.

"Technically" you should have a ticket out of the country BEFORE your 30 day visa exempt permission to stay ends.

You will ONLY get one 30 day extension on a visa exempt entry, not usually.

The airlines do not set the rule, it is their interpretation and implementation of Thai Immigration law that makes them not allow boarding without a visa or ticket out.

Edited by muzmurray

Sorry to have to ask another question.

With all your help I now intend to apply by post to the Thai Embassy in London for a SETV. Then decide after about 50 days in Thailand whether to  apply for a 30 day extension followed by leaving Thailand and returning with a visa exemption or to leave and apply for another SETV.

I have already booked my return flight to Bangkok and will be returning to the UK 111 days after leaving.

My question is concerning the Visa Application form where it says "Duration of Proposed stay"

If I enter 111 days to me it seems odd I am applying for a 60 day SETV

Or do I put down 55 days as it is most likely I will visit Laos after 55 days to obtain another SETV.

Oh dear .... please help

Thanks

Keith

10 minutes ago, Keith5588 said:

Sorry to have to ask another question.

With all your help I now intend to apply by post to the Thai Embassy in London for a SETV. Then decide after about 50 days in Thailand whether to  apply for a 30 day extension followed by leaving Thailand and returning with a visa exemption or to leave and apply for another SETV.

I have already booked my return flight to Bangkok and will be returning to the UK 111 days after leaving.

My question is concerning the Visa Application form where it says "Duration of Proposed stay"

If I enter 111 days to me it seems odd I am applying for a 60 day SETV

Or do I put down 55 days as it is most likely I will visit Laos after 55 days to obtain another SETV.

Oh dear .... please help

Thanks

Keith

Put 55 or 60 days as 60 days is the longest you can stay using that visa.

On 10/1/2016 at 2:05 AM, KhunBENQ said:

For the remaining 21 days a border run at Nong Khai will give you a 30 day visa exemption entry (as a UK citizen).

I was going to start another thread but since this one is already going I'll ask here. After my SE tourist visa and extension expires (just like the OP) if I do a border run to Cambodia will I get 30 day exemption entry as a US citizen? The previous comment suggests that I would but I think it's switched back and forth between 15 and 30 days before. So just want to double check.

I was going to get a METV but the requirement are such a PITA I couldn't qualify.

thanks,  Jay 

2 minutes ago, RockyMtnJay said:

I was going to start another thread but since this one is already going I'll ask here. After my SE tourist visa and extension expires (just like the OP) if I do a border run to Cambodia will I get 30 day exemption entry as a US citizen? The previous comment suggests that I would but I think it's switched back and forth between 15 and 30 days before. So just want to double check.

I was going to get a METV but the requirement are such a PITA I couldn't qualify.

thanks,  Jay 

You will get a 30 day entry since the US is a G7 country.