Ultimate cheap Charlie , can you beat this.

ableguy

9 hours ago, Ulic said:

I took a family and guest out to lunch at a nice restaurant in Phuket. I left a 300 baht tip on a

2,200baht bill. As we were leaving the guest scooped the tip and told me "Thais don't leave tips"

Of course she put the tip right in her pocket.

Understandable to a Thai when 300 baht is a days wage

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

39 minutes ago, SoiBiker said:

Not at all. I have plenty of friends in real life. That's why I don't feel the need to try and make any here. Well, that and the fact that most posters here aren't exactly the kind of people I want to be friends with. 

I have a social life in the real world. I come here to point and laugh, mostly. 

I can see you have a long way to reach grand master troll. 

Keep working on it young padawan.

5 minutes ago, upside said:

I can see you have a long way to reach grand master troll. 

Keep working on it young padawan.

A troll isn't just someone you happen to disagree with. 

I don't troll. I just state my opinions. If you don't like them, feel free to disagree. 

Or, you know, just drag a thread way off-topic with pointless personal attacks. Which kind of is trolling, now that I come to think of it. 

4 hours ago, SoiBiker said:

You think 80 baht for a dish constitutes 'pricey'?

A simple dish with fried rice is the cheapest you can buy at any restaurant . Maybe Hilton charge 150 baht. 

2 minutes ago, balo said:

A simple dish with fried rice is the cheapest you can buy at any restaurant . Maybe Hilton charge 150 baht. 

I can think of several places that charge more than 150 baht. I wouldn't even call that 'pricey'.

1 hour ago, SoiBiker said:

I can think of several places that charge more than 150 baht. I wouldn't even call that 'pricey'.

The typical price for Special fried rice is 40-60 Baht for Thai places

60-80 Baht in felang places and anything more than that and you will expect the waiters to be wearing suits

6 minutes ago, sanemax said:

The typical price for Special fried rice is 40-60 Baht for Thai places

60-80 Baht in felang places and anything more than that and you will expect the waiters to be wearing suits

I know what a plate of fried rice costs in the cheapest places. But there are plenty of places that charge more - and not necessarily 'felang' places either. 

Incidentally - 'Special fried rice'? Isn't that the dish you get in 'chinese' takeaways in the UK where they throw in everything they can scrape out of the back of the fridge?

1 minute ago, SoiBiker said:

I know what a plate of fried rice costs in the cheapest places. But there are plenty of places that charge more - and not necessarily 'felang' places either. 

Incidentally - 'Special fried rice'? Isn't that the dish you get in 'chinese' takeaways in the UK where they throw in everything they can scrape out of the back of the fridge?

Yes, restaurants charge more, typical general eating places charge less than restaurants .

Places that sell Thai food generally sell fried rice dishes for 40-60 Baht , where Thais go and eat dinner.

Places that sell Foreign food for foreigners tend to price it a bit more expensive .

Thai restaurants sell it for 80 Baht plus

6 hours ago, SoiBiker said:
3 minutes ago, SoiBiker said:

Round here the Thais spend more on dinner than the farangs.

Not all Thai people are poor, you know. 

Where is "Round here"

Could you be more specific with the location?

"Round here" (Where you are) Thais may spend more on lunch than foreigners , but round here(my round here) , where I am, I dont really know, I will have a look tomorrow lunch time . What people have to lunch , I dont usually take much notice of what they are eating, how much it costs and who is eating what

Just now, SoiBiker said:

I could, but I'm not going to. 

If you don't realise there are wealthy Thai people, you must have a pretty limited understanding of the country. 

That is the second time that you have mentioned that and I havent even stated or even suggested that there are not wealthy Thais in Thailand .

Anyway, we are talking about "typical" prices , you seem to be just trying to portray yourself as someone who is quite rich and goes to expensive places to eat.......................rice dishes :)

Just now, sanemax said:

That is the second time that you have mentioned that and I havent even stated or even suggested that there are not wealthy Thais in Thailand .

Anyway, we are talking about "typical" prices , you seem to be just trying to portray yourself as someone who is quite rich and goes to expensive places to eat.......................rice dishes :)

Not at all. Unless you think paying a couple of quid for a meal is expensive. 

2 minutes ago, SoiBiker said:

Not at all. Unless you think paying a couple of quid for a meal is expensive. 

90 Baht is quite expensive  considering that the normal price is half that .

Saying that , in some parts of Thailand , 90 Baht is the going rate for a cheap meal , places like Samui, Ko chang etc etc

2 hours ago, balo said:

I thought you ate simple dishes with steamed rice.  Fried rice (with whatever diced into it) is a dish in itself, and on its own, quite sufficient, though for dinner one might like to add a small dish of vegetables, and half a dozen Tigers or Singhas, according to your taste

I'd typically pay 20 Baht for rice....but likely add a couple of other dishes at 100-150 and maybe a sea bass if it was three or more of us eating.

The sea bass would be 350-400 Baht and total cost with drinks probably aroud 1000 Baht for four of us.

This is Pattanakarn pricing for a good restaurant.

22 minutes ago, smokie36 said:

I'd typically pay 20 Baht for rice....but likely add a couple of other dishes at 100-150 and maybe a sea bass if it was three or more of us eating.

The sea bass would be 350-400 Baht and total cost with drinks probably aroud 1000 Baht for four of us.

This is Pattanakarn pricing for a good restaurant.

How much extra for hundreds of tiny cockroaches?

I was surprised you both took that so well ...

4 minutes ago, SoiBiker said:

Are they deep fried?

Not sure about Patanakarn - I've never eaten there.  When we were out wild boar hunting in Indian Country they were lightly toasted by the candle beneath the dish;  no more than sufficient to make them Run To The Hills (sorry I can't post links so you'll need to YouTube that yourself).  Although the tiny cockroaches were an unexpected bonus, the highlight of the night was an evening in the company of Tom Jones...

3 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

Not sure about Patanakarn - I've never eaten there.  When we were out wild boar hunting in Indian Country they were lightly toasted by the candle beneath the dish;  no more than sufficient to make them Run To The Hills (sorry I can't post links so you'll need to YouTube that yourself).  Although the tiny cockroaches were an unexpected bonus, the highlight of the night was an evening in the company of Tom Jones...

The roaches had better taste than my gf....although I noticed they weren't so keen on her lethargic prawn curry.

Even they came to dine on the finest wild boar in Asia.

Ahh the memory of the green green grass of home!