Ultimate cheap Charlie , can you beat this.

ableguy

18 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

I'm also confused regarding the posters that bring in their own Diet Coke. How do they know the restaurant doesn't sell it?  

There are numerous ways to find out whether restaurants sell diet coke or not, but the two best ways of finding out is to either ask the waitress for a diet coke and if they say that they do not sell them, then they probably do not sell them .

But, to make sure, there is usually a fridge on view, and you can go and take a look inside the fridge, most fridges have a glass door, so you dont even have to open the fridge door to see . 

Once you have established that they do not sell diet coke, you can either go to a 7/11 and get your own, or just bring your own next time you go to that restaurant

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My friend recently told me about one which happened to him and tops this, and its actually just illegal.

He was eating in a restaurant in Cambodia alone, a female backpacker came up and asked if she could sit with him, he said sure, and she became very chatty... after she had eaten her food and drank her drink she ordered, she walked off excusing herself to go to the toilet... she did not come back, and my friend was presented with the bill as the staff thought she was his friend.

1 minute ago, nickmanchester2 said:

My friend recently told me about one which happened to him and tops this, and its actually just illegal.

He was eating in a restaurant in Cambodia alone, a female backpacker came up and asked if she could sit with him, he said sure, and she became very chatty... after she had eaten her food and drank her drink she ordered, she walked off excusing herself to go to the toilet... she did not come back, and my friend was presented with the bill as the staff thought she was his friend.

That's a pretty common scam actually. 

19 hours ago, Dexlowe said:

I have nothing for 3 days before going to an all-you-can-eat buffet to make sure I get my money's worth. And if anyone notices the bag dangling inside my trouser leg, I just say - colostomy.

If you really want to feel like youve got your moneys worth in there then take a chinese girl in with you, but stand back when the prawns come out!

2 hours ago, KMartinHandyman said:

Happy I'm not alone as we have to turn of and unplug everything when not in use to the point it wears out the switches and receptacles.

my lanlord is so cheap he did not install the powerpoints that have switches.

5 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

my lanlord is so cheap he did not install the powerpoints that have switches.

think yourself  lucky you even have electricity...........Im still waiting for the roof

On 10/2/2016 at 4:28 AM, NanLaew said:

So, while the OP was carefully observing this guy ignoring his dinner date, how was his own interaction with his dining companions for the better part of the hour?

She was probably chatting on the phone the whole time.

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

There are numerous ways to find out whether restaurants sell diet coke or not, but the two best ways of finding out is to either ask the waitress for a diet coke and if they say that they do not sell them, then they probably do not sell them .

But, to make sure, there is usually a fridge on view, and you can go and take a look inside the fridge, most fridges have a glass door, so you dont even have to open the fridge door to see . 

Once you have established that they do not sell diet coke, you can either go to a 7/11 and get your own, or just bring your own next time you go to that restaurant

Ok. So for sure no cheap Charlie would ever bring their own Diet Coke or other soft drink into a restaurant that already sells that product. It read to me that may occur even with bottled water but I'm sure I'm wrong.  If it were my restaurant I would nicely come up to them and pour it over them. 

6 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

Ok. So for sure no cheap Charlie would ever bring their own Diet Coke or other soft drink into a restaurant that already sells that product. It read to me that may occur even with bottled water but I'm sure I'm wrong.  If it were my restaurant I would nicely come up to them and pour it over them. 

I do take 100% Mineral water into restaurants with me , my preferred choice , restaurants tend not to sell mineral water .

Eating places though, rather than restaurants , and eating places generally have free ice and water for patrons , so they arent bothered by people bringing their own water in

Restaurants are structured to try to make a profit and part of their tactic is expecting ALL customers to order at least one drink with food. Even if it's just water. It's called the food and  BEVERAGE industry. They are not charities. I think it's best to respect that and if you can't afford to eat in restaurants and order some kind of drink better to cook yourself, eat street food, or in food courts.

I do see exceptions to this social code when the restaurant goes crazy with drink pricing, totally out of balance to their food prices and general level of the restaurant.  Beverages typically have a higher profit markup anyway than food, but there are limits of reasonableness. My choice in dealing with restaurants that do obscene things with beverage markups is to boycott them. I wonder how many other people do that, but if they're staying in business, they're doing something right. 

I assume restaurant owners are aware of this issue. I often notice restaurants pricing drinks just a little bit aggressively, but not high enough to scare many people away because of that. I consider that a sharp business tactic and understandable in such a tough and competitive business. 

A girl was telling me about an Australian  loser she met on a dating site who asked for a lift to the airport and promised her a nice dinner there for the lift. Unbeknownst to her it was so he could save on taxi fare. 

Being a nice girl she drove him, only to be taken down the bottom level where he bought her a 50b plate from the place airport employees go to eat. 

Only thing worse than a Sexpat is a scrooge Sexpat. 

5 hours ago, realenglish1 said:

This is super Cheap  My wife has me turn off the Micro Wave oven after I use it at the plug source She says "Save Energy"

I looked it up on the internet and it costs about 10 baht per month to leave the light indicator on

But she will spend 1100 baht on a shirt

Confusing girl !!!!!

You need to also unplug your fridge at night to get real savings.  

How's the Sexpat scrooge that offered to take a girl to Hua Hin for a getaway. 

Picks her up in a cab, she thinks great this is door to door service, but that Only takes them to the bus station,  pays the fare for bus ride then she pays the hotel! 

How's on another forum a few years ago now,  a member that we all knew was the ultimate cheap Charlie,  refused to pay for tick medication for his farm dog.  

He had all these lame excuses under the sun - but we all knew the truth. 

Dog dies a painful slow death but then the scrooge proceeded to tell everyone how much he cared and missed his dog. 

3 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

no worries cobber….I also collect supermarket change…1 baht coins so I can pay exactly 3 baht for the toilets….they won't be shortchanging me in a hurry.

That reminds me. Be careful paying with 1000 baht notes on bills under 500. I usually do but recently I needed to and decided to trust the place and not bother calling out the bill amount before giving it (that will generally prevent a scam) but sure enough, major ripoff attempt. 

I usually request no 1,000 b bills from money changers but it seems to anger them…why i don't know….prefer all my monies in 500s.

Somehow paying with 2 500s in the morning seems more than just a solitary and lonely 1K bill.

Appearances matter.

On 10/1/2016 at 10:54 PM, KittenKong said:

It all depends on how much the water costs in relation to the rest of the meal. I will pay up to about 10% of the value of the meal but no more. To charge more is just a rip-off.

As for ignoring his date: I always eat alone so I think he's a bit daft to take her along at all.

Yeah, imagine that. Actually taking a date out to dinner. 

On 2-10-2016 at 10:21 AM, transam said:

How about go to a posh wedding, the usual boxed bottle of whiskey on the table, it disappears under the table, they eat, finish up, stand up, the whiskey is now inside a big posh shoulder bag, exit....:saai:

And no it wasn't me, I don't drink the stuff.......:stoner:

I've been to posh weddings where only family got a chair, the rest had to stand in a very small very crowded area...it was in the army-resort btw. The family got cake, the rest not....i stood in a corner with a small plate in one hand, drink in the other but couldn't use my cutlery to eat...

Or look in restaurants where they bring all the food home and eat from the buffet only.

I've also been to good restaurants with friends who had a rental with them...the girl got steak but refused to eat it, no like....it was a perfect steak though. She went out to buy somtam.

everything is possible in thailand, live and let live.

Was in pattaya some weeks ago, nice seafood restaurant on the beach (the one with the blue chairs, big open seafood place) all the food was served but i don't eat squid, crabs,clanms and mussles......after an hour my fried fish came, i wasn't hungry anymore so didn't touch it.

10 hours ago, realenglish1 said:

This is super Cheap  My wife has me turn off the Micro Wave oven after I use it at the plug source She says "Save Energy"

I looked it up on the internet and it costs about 10 baht per month to leave the light indicator on

But she will spend 1100 baht on a shirt

Confusing girl !!!!!

I would say that 10 bht /  month is way wrong, that equates to about 2.5 kwh , an indicator lamp would be lucky to consume that much power in 12 months.

Archived