Ultimate cheap Charlie , can you beat this.

ableguy

Am in Jomtien for a long weekend with gf of seven years and her niece of eleven years whom we have looked after for five years, however that is nothing to do with the post.

in a very popular restraunt on the sea front in fact the only busy restraunt on the sea front as the town is dead. This was for dinner.

The food here is great, a guy comes in with a good looking chick a quarter to a third of his age the chick is dressed quite conservatively  , lucky guy I would say.

He ordered two fried rice and chopsticks for himself, mean while he is constantly standing up looking around the restraunt as if looking for friends, after the food was served he pulls a bottle of water out of a plastic shopping bag and two straws, he then jumps up and dashes across the restraunt and comes back clutching the Bangkok post in a forked cane as one sees in hotel lobby's, he then spends all his time reading the paper eats his rice, ignoring his gf totally for about forty five minutes pays the bill and leaves, I have lived in the land of smiles now for eight years and never seen anything so cheap, taking a small bottle of water into a fairly pricy restraunt to share with a date, and so on.

can anyone beat this ?.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, ableguy said:

he then spends all his time reading the paper eats his rice, ignoring his gf totally for about forty five minutes pays the bill and leaves, I have lived in the land of smiles now for eight years and never seen anything so cheap, taking a small bottle of water into a fairly pricy restraunt to share with a date, and so on.

can anyone beat this ?.

It all depends on how much the water costs in relation to the rest of the meal. I will pay up to about 10% of the value of the meal but no more. To charge more is just a rip-off.

As for ignoring his date: I always eat alone so I think he's a bit daft to take her along at all.

27 minutes ago, ableguy said:

Am in Jomtien for a long weekend with gf of seven years and her niece of eleven years whom we have looked after for five years, however that is nothing to do with the post.

That's where I stopped reading as I knew what to expect.

How about go to a posh wedding, the usual boxed bottle of whiskey on the table, it disappears under the table, they eat, finish up, stand up, the whiskey is now inside a big posh shoulder bag, exit....:saai:

And no it wasn't me, I don't drink the stuff.......:stoner:

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

So, while the OP was carefully observing this guy ignoring his dinner date, how was his own interaction with his dining companions for the better part of the hour?

Think maybe some of us don't waffle to a bird at the table, especially if we have been a couple for some time....:tongue:

I also think many of us at the table do not sit and look at a blank wall, well l don't....nosy perhaps, but scanning surroundings is part of the fun, especially if some bird is winking at me.....:giggle:

8 hours ago, burgerking said:

You think that's cheap. When you go out as a group and the bill is paid,  my wife hangs back and pockets the tip.  

And you condone it, must make you super cheap Charlie or you lack balls.

You think that's cheap. When you go out as a group and the bill is paid,  my wife hangs back and pockets the tip.  

Made me laugh as my wife hangs last if possible when it's just us to adjust the tip downwards if she thinks I've been overly generous. Funny game we play as I get the small if her back and say "come along, it's not too much".

My wife has to look away when we pay after eating in restaurants in Canada. The cost of the food is already so high, it  disturbs her that we give away even more voluntarily. (but not really voluntarily, because it is cultural pressure which makes you conform). Plus, the food is usually disappointing from her point of view.

Can't believe I'm reading this.

I did speak to her when I asked was she going to eat all her rice. And it was the Nation and not the other one I was reading.

Edit: Ooops, sorry, just saw it was Jomtien you were talking about.....................:smile:

1 hour ago, transam said:

Your bird holds your cash........?   :unsure:

... in my wife's words " anything wrong with that?"

I sit quiet - along with the lonely 30 baht I only ever carry on me

I made a small scene in Tesco because the cashier didn't give me my 25 satang change, she thought it was OK to keep it and I didn't, the queue behind me wasn't happy and almost certainly thought I was a cheap Charlie, who cares though, it's a matter of principle.

3 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

I can beat it….I don't order any water at all…..period..

after eating I go to 7-11 and buy the one that sells for 9 or 12 baht.

You ain't a Cheap Charlie if you spend over 7 baht for water at 7-11.  Unless that's the big bottle.  In that case, my hat's off to you.

I made a small scene in Tesco because the cashier didn't give me my 25 satang change, she thought it was OK to keep it and I didn't, the queue behind me wasn't happy and almost certainly thought I was a cheap Charlie, who cares though, it's a matter of principle.

I hope you are joking but if not I hate those little coins and have a habit of throwing them away even though I would never do it in public. Im gonna start saving them for you now though.

4 minutes ago, Kaalle said:

I hope you are joking but if not I hate those little coins and have a habit of throwing them away even though I would never do it in public. Im gonna start saving them for you now though.

Nope, not joking. It's a matter of principle, first it's satang coins and next it'll be one baht coins and then...? And if my bill came to say 75 baht and 50 satang, do you suppose Tesco or Big C would mind if I didn't give them that 50 satang, hah, I really don't think so - so why should it be a one way street? It's not about the satang, it's the concept, plus you'll never see a local person throwing money away nor letting Tesco/Big C keep those coins, why should I.

47 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

Nope, not joking. It's a matter of principle, first it's satang coins and next it'll be one baht coins and then...? And if my bill came to say 75 baht and 50 satang, do you suppose Tesco or Big C would mind if I didn't give them that 50 satang, hah, I really don't think so - so why should it be a one way street? It's not about the satang, it's the concept, plus you'll never see a local person throwing money away nor letting Tesco/Big C keep those coins, why should I.

a while back I had a big row when I was told the wrong price for a beer and the girl waiting on kept the change, a few months later I was in a bar that is owned by the same people (police

I am told) and a lad with us gets his 80 baht taken by the waitress.....and as both places do not have "bar girls" it looks like they have to steal from the customers to make their wages up? 

1 hour ago, Kaalle said:

I used to refuse them but now I accept them and use them as I am always getting dinged for 25 or 50 satang at the market.  Get rid of them completely I say.

On 10/2/2016 at 7:38 AM, canuckamuck said:

Not that I bring water to a restaurant, but I do believe water should be free, or at least retail value. Pity, it used to be part of the meal.

Really? Where was/is bottled water part of the meal? I will go.

Archived