Ultimate cheap Charlie , can you beat this.

ableguy

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"..a guy comes in with a good looking chick a quarter to a third of his age..."

Well, when on a tight budget and your "date" won't negotiate, what is a guy to do? To his credit, maybe, he did cough up money for a newspaper, and those aren't given away... and looks like he does know how to read.

15 hours ago, chiang mai said:

I made a small scene in Tesco because the cashier didn't give me my 25 satang change, she thought it was OK to keep it and I didn't, the queue behind me wasn't happy and almost certainly thought I was a cheap Charlie, who cares though, it's a matter of principle.

Don't spend it all at once :laugh:

I know something much more "cheap Charlie".....Just look for the bars with the balloons. And when they ask you what you wanna drink, just say "Sorry my hands are full with these plates, can't hold a drink, just wait a little ok?"......

58 minutes ago, Emster23 said:

"..a guy comes in with a good looking chick a quarter to a third of his age..."

Well, when on a tight budget and your "date" won't negotiate, what is a guy to do? To his credit, maybe, he did cough up money for a newspaper, and those aren't given away... and looks like he does know how to read.

According to the OP he didn't even pay for the newspaper.

"...he then jumps up and dashes across the restaurant and comes back clutching the Bangkok post in a forked cane as one sees in hotel lobby's."

Many Trip Advisers tell travelers not to drink water from a Restaurants or the Ice, as the water may not be pure or bottled water. So it may have more to do with this than the price. 

As to his GF, who knows? She may not have been hungry. Judging from what you observed and the age difference, she may have been just a working girl. Probably not too much in common as they may have just met. 

Not to say he isn't some Cheap Charlie. In my time in Thailand I have seen some real bad ones and far worst that this. One guy arguing with some Older Thai Woman selling Bananas off her cart and not have small change from his 20 Baht.     

16 hours ago, chiang mai said:

I made a small scene in Tesco because the cashier didn't give me my 25 satang change, she thought it was OK to keep it and I didn't, the queue behind me wasn't happy and almost certainly thought I was a cheap Charlie, who cares though, it's a matter of principle.

The kind of principle that proves, definitively, that you are indeed a cheap Charlie....

On 10/1/2016 at 10:37 PM, sfokevin said:

I was at JJ Market and at the restroom the guy in front of me was arguing about the 10 baht cover... He wanted to only pay 5 baht as he only needed to piss... :signthaivisa:

I'd ask for a 5 baht refund for not flushing, or not washing my hands?

Shirley, that's more reasonable than just asking for a discount.

This is super Cheap  My wife has me turn off the Micro Wave oven after I use it at the plug source She says "Save Energy"

I looked it up on the internet and it costs about 10 baht per month to leave the light indicator on

But she will spend 1100 baht on a shirt

Confusing girl !!!!!

This is super Cheap  My wife has me turn off the Micro Wave oven after I use it at the plug source She says "Save Energy"
I looked it up on the internet and it costs about 10 baht per month to leave the light indicator on
But she will spend 1100 baht on a shirt

Confusing girl !!!!!

Happy I'm not alone as we have to turn of and unplug everything when not in use to the point it wears out the switches and receptacles. It's for safety and to save the world and lower the electric bill from vampire draws. It's too hard to argue with her premise so I don't. I am lucky because she'd never spend 1100 for a shirt and enjoys the hunt for second hand, good quality and pays 20 or 100 baht for most things.
I sometimes go crazy tagging along on the hunt but then remember how much money she's saving me and happily go back to people watching until she finds the trophy purchase.

4 minutes ago, KMartinHandyman said:

Happy I'm not alone as we have to turn of and unplug everything when not in use to the point it wears out the switches and receptacles. It's for safety and to save the world and lower the electric bill from vampire draws. It's too hard to argue with her premise so I don't. I am lucky because she'd never spend 1100 for a shirt and enjoys the hunt for second hand, good quality and pays 20 or 100 baht for most things.
I sometimes go crazy tagging along on the hunt but then remember how much money she's saving me and happily go back to people watching until she finds the trophy purchase.

It's not clear to me why you have to "tag along" with her on her (admirable) shopping expeditions.  Can't you just let her spend all the time she wants (without boring you into a coma) among the clothes' racks until she finds the exact thing she is looking for.  Meanwhile, you have read two detective novels while waiting (at home).

When I go into a restaurant, a western food one, I always take a flask of tea with me, it is nothing

to do with being a Cheap Charlie, it is because every time I went in to a restaurant, the tea always came long before the meal,

and when the meal came the tea was cold.

IMO, if a restaurant sells western food, it should be served the western way, ie not the French Fries first, then 30 mins later the chicken.

There is no excuse for this not happening.

On 1/10/2559 at 10:59 PM, Anthony5 said:

That's where I stopped reading as I knew what to expect.

You are better then me.

I stopped reading; before I open the post.

All post should start out.

" I had just turn 16 , and I have a neighbor who is 18, who always undresses in front of the bedroom window.

On this days she ask me to come up and change a light bulb in her room.........

18 hours ago, sanemax said:

I nearly always take me own 7/11 9 Baht Minere mineral water with me into restaurants .

I quite often take cans of diet coke into restaurants as well .

Restaurants dont sell what I want, so, I take me own

So do I, all the time.

On 10/2/2016 at 10:21 AM, transam said:

How about go to a posh wedding, the usual boxed bottle of whiskey on the table, it disappears under the table, they eat, finish up, stand up, the whiskey is now inside a big posh shoulder bag, exit....:saai:

And no it wasn't me, I don't drink the stuff.......:stoner:

Well you can't sing and drink at the same time Trans.

18 hours ago, sanemax said:

I nearly always take me own 7/11 9 Baht Minere mineral water with me into restaurants .

I quite often take cans of diet coke into restaurants as well .

Restaurants dont sell what I want, so, I take me own

I do too but I tip generously

You probably didn't see him pocket the salt and pepper shakers. I wouldn't be surprised if you told me he took the newspaper too. Its nice to see the warm smile you get when leaving a tip isn't it. Always makes me feel good. I guess I can afford that.

On 10/2/2016 at 10:21 AM, transam said:

How about go to a posh wedding, the usual boxed bottle of whiskey on the table, it disappears under the table, they eat, finish up, stand up, the whiskey is now inside a big posh shoulder bag, exit....:saai:

And no it wasn't me, I don't drink the stuff.......:stoner:

Yup, A wedding, Funeral or the bar with the balloons, those three options and you are set for free food everyday....

3 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

They used to have this thing called a water glass. They would put one at every place setting and fill them for free. You may have to google it.

Yes all us old dudes remember them days. There was also courtesy professionalism and good manners. All gone. I also agree with this part of your post.  Hang the rich! All we have to do now is find a tree. They are disappearing at a fast rate as well.

It's not clear to me why you have to "tag along" with her on her (admirable) shopping expeditions.  Can't you just let her spend all the time she wants (without boring you into a coma) among the clothes' racks until she finds the exact thing she is looking for.  Meanwhile, you have read two detective novels while waiting (at home).

I understand the sentiment but often it's when we travel throughout Thailand and the hunt is usually impromptu and if not it's the Wednesday only "big market" in our small city. As I'm not here full time we do most things together and make the most our time. I don't know if that will change when I'm able to reside full time but I hope not.

What a high level of posters. I wash my grapes and strawberries with minere at home.  I'm also confused regarding the posters that bring in their own Diet Coke. How do they know the restaurant doesn't sell it?  I'm glad I live in BKK far away from cheap C.

You see the kee-nok farangs at many sports bars in Bangkok.

They go to watch sporting events on tv and soak up the free aircon for hours, while sitting on one small bottle of water.

One guy i know, if in a larger group of 4 or so, would get absolutely nothing,

I suppose thinking no one will notice, or the staff think he has ordered something on one of the other bills.

One guy i know used to force water into toothpaste tubes to make it last longer.

I only know because i discreetly borrowed it off him when he left toiletries on his bed in the 120 baht/night backpacker dorm we were sharing.

1 hour ago, Winkburn said:

Sorry you are so poor

I have a question about this. 

How do people that don't want to waste money deal with restaurants that have food priced OK for them but absurd drink price levels.

For example, a meal for 300 but local bottled water at 100.

When I see places like that, they basically completely lose my business unless there is something really, really exceptional about their food that I can't get anywhere else.

I'm aware that some people will deal with such places by simply ordering no drink. I would find that too embarrassing (and also I want a drink with food) but I wouldn't have any moral qualms about it because 100 baht for water is thievery. I also would never bring in water to such a place, also too embarrassing and clearly against the policies of most non-street restaurants. Thinking about it, if I saw other people do that at such places, I would think -- GOOD FOR YOU!

I agree the action on the O.P. is over the top in cheapness if the drinks are normally priced.

Archived