Chaengwattana for Retirement Extension & Re-entry

Last Thursday I arrived at Chaengwattana around 7:30 and found myself somewhere around #50 in line.  When the doors opened at 8:30 the line had grown to wind around on itself two or three times.  The 8:30 opening was orderly with an officer standing at the door helping to assure no one cut in the line... a welcome departure from previous "free-for-all" experiences with lots of people shoving their way in from the right hand side of the doorway. The line moved quickly and I rec'd queue a number in the mid-teens for the extension of stay.

I sat in a location where I could watch two of the female officers processing the extension applications while I waited.  I watched them, sitting across from one another, stop work, get up with their phones, compare photos of some recent events while conversing and laughing.  They were having a good old time while all of us were waiting outside to be called.  This went on for about 30 minutes until approximately 9:00 Am when numbers were finally called to their respective lines.  The other 3 lines had begun processing applicants already and had gone through eight to nine numbers.  Then, when the two party girls finally began processing some applicants, one of their phones would ring and they would stop, began a conversation on their phone and inexplicably get up from their desk and begin sharing the conversation with the other officer while holding the phone up between them, laughing, carrying on, having a triple big time!  My mind wandered back to the days when I was managing people in business and I thought of all the reasons why these two people should be reprimanded, disciplined, demoted, or released from their jobs. Then I remembered where I was and I settled in for the long haul of waiting so I could move on for a re-entry permit.  I finally had my number called at 9:45 AM.  Surprisingly, I got my passport back within 15 minutes.

I was in line for the re-entry permit at 10:15 after making the required copy of my new extension.  I drew queue number 85 for the permit.  # 57 was being called to hand in applications when I sat down.   At the same time....#37 was being called for the return of passports after processing.  I was called at 10:45 to turn in my papers and  my passport was processed and returned to me by 11:25.  They processed all applications from #37 to # 85,  a total of 48 passports, in an hour and ten minutes.  I didn't see anyone at the re-entry permit section chatting on their phones or passing around phone-photos for all to share and  I considered myself pretty lucky to be out before lunch time.

I also want to note that I was asked for the "Foreigners Information" form when I handed in my extension of stay paperwork.  I was NOT asked for it when I turned in the application for my re-entry permit.  I had brought along two completed sets of the form with picture attached so I could help speed things up a bit if I was asked for it.  I left with one un-needed form that I shall save for my next visit.  I was not asked for anything beyond my passport photocopies and US Embassy income document when I handed in papers for the retirement extension, although I was prepared with an armload of documents proving condo ownership and residence just in case.

I have not done a 90 day report for over nine months due to a number of overseas journeys that occurred before I had been in the country long enough to require a report of my address. Even though I check into a hotel each time I return to Thailand after a journey before returning home to my condo in Bangkok, no one asked for any address information. No one asked whether I or anyone else had reported my residence on a TM-30 form.  I was not asked to fill out a TM-30 form.  I was not fined for any reason.  (The hotel stays, in case you're wondering,  allow me to decompress a bit while a service cleans and preps my condo for me before I move back in.)

That's my report!  I hope it helps readers as they prepare for their Chaengwattana adventure!  Oh, and don't get too upset when the women start talking on their phones and passing them around to share pictures while you're kept waiting for your number to be called.  Keep calm and remember where you are!

• Like 2

25 min to 4 hours in Khon Kaen depending on ? Oh I don't know.

Observations are so similar.

Whatever jam packed/crowded the office will be they won't care to occupy all four desks.

Endless chatter, welcome wais, phone calls etc.

A one hour seminar about Thai immigration rules for some boneh... who had almost nothing complete for his extension :annoyed:

20 minutes ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

This takes about 30 minutes in Pattaya-Jomtien.

Come back in December :tongue:

1 minute ago, KhunBENQ said:

25 min to 4 hours in Khon Kaen depending on ? Oh I don't know.

Observations are so similar.

Whatever jam packed/crowded the office will be they won't care to occupy all four desks.

Endless chatter, welcome wais, phone calls etc.

A one hour seminar about Thai immigration rules for some boneh... who had almost nothing complete for his extension :annoyed:

Come back in December :tongue:

I've purposely timed my annual extensions to take place in early July  :smile: