Cheap Farangs Vs Pennywise Thai partners

JJGreen

2 minutes ago, JJGreen said:

The word cheap charlie might be bar girl language...but u are the only two using that terminology here. It isn't me tinned in my OP.

Calling someone a 'cheap ass or 'cheapskate' or 'tight' or 'kee neow' is common everyday phrase usage

There is currently another thread with "Cheap Charlie" in the title , which has a similar content to this thread , this thread also has "Cheap ferang" in the title, which has the same meaning as "Cheap Charlie" , so, we are all talking about the same thing, just using slightly different terminology 

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is currently another thread with "Cheap Charlie" in the title , which has a similar content to this thread , this thread also has "Cheap ferang" in the title, which has the same meaning as "Cheap Charlie" , so, we are all talking about the same thing, just using slightly different terminology 

The title said cheap ass originally ...but was edited by admin..
The phrases refer to the same type of frugal people but it's different terminology used by different people...as u point out.

My point is....cheap ass and cheapskate is widely used terminology...not limit3d to bars.

32 minutes ago, JAFO said:

^^^Exactly. Just a normal good old fashion relationship. 

I think this Cheap Charlie, ATM talk is "Bar Girl" lingo along with Teerak and a host of other words that have hit TV. If you have chosen that lifestyle one shouldn't expect too much and it is likely Thais are talking about you in that light. Outside of that, many of us go about our day and if my hunch is correct Thais are not talking about them as much as they think they are. At least where I am from.  

" You Cheap Charlie GI" sound familiar, Maybe not. I still hear it a lot, not directed at me. I hear it from expats too.

8 minutes ago, JJGreen said:

The title said cheap ass originally ...but was edited by admin..
The phrases refer to the same type of frugal people but it's different terminology used by different people...as u point out.

My point is....cheap ass and cheapskate is widely used terminology...not limit3d to bars.

But it is a slightly derogatory term used by people who want you to spend money with them being the beneficiary .

If you were out shopping with a Thai lady and you were looking to buy yourself a gold chain, for example , and you said "Silver ones are cheaper , so I may get a silver one instead of a gold one"

Would She say "Dont be such a Cheapskate, buy yourself a gold one"?

No She wouldnt .

On the other hand, :If you were buying her a gold chain and you suggested that it would be cheaper to get a silver one.....................out come the derogatory terms

But it is a slightly derogatory term used by people who want you to spend money with them being the beneficiary .
   If you were out shopping with a Thai lady and you were looking to buy yourself a gold chain, for example , and you said "Silver ones are cheaper , so I may get a silver one instead of a gold one"
   Would She say "Dont be such a Cheapskate, buy yourself a gold one"?
No She wouldnt .
On the other hand, :If you were buying her a gold chain and you suggested that it would be cheaper to get a silver one.....................out come the derogatory terms

It is usually a derogatory term. It isn't limited to those wanting u to spend money or solely thai women talking about farang guys...
Calling another expat tight or a cheapass is used as a negative term in describing them...that really was the thrust of my OP

1 hour ago, JJGreen said:

The word cheap charlie might be bar girl language...but u are the only two using that terminology here. It isn't me tinned in my OP.

Calling someone a 'cheap ass or 'cheapskate' or 'tight' or 'kee neow' is common everyday phrase usage

You are kidding right?  I have seen Cheap Charlie used on this site no less than 50 times.  It's a common term and seems to be  used in the bar girl circles as stated.  I personally have never heard it used in public.  Just as read.  

But it's all the same to me a tightwad, Cheap ass, Cheap skate, etc.

But I think outside that "Segment" Thais are not sitting around talking about foreigners like many believe they are.  Again. It's all a product of one's environment.

You are kidding right?  I have seen Cheap Charlie used on this site no less than 50 times.  It's a common term and seems to be  used in the bar girl circles as stated.  I personally have never heard it used in public.  Just as read.  

But it's all the same to me a tightwad, Cheap ass, Cheap skate, etc.

But I think outside that "Segment" Thais are not sitting around talking about foreigners like many believe they are.  Again. It's all a product of one's environment.

The term as used on this thread JAFO...used on this thread...

3 hours ago, JJGreen said:

The term as used on this thread JAFO...used on this thread...

Whatever JJ, you are splitting hairs. Cheap skate, Cheap Farangs, Cheap Foreigners, Tight Wad, Cheap Ass...All one in the same for the context of your post. As said, most of them are heard in a very specific segment of Thailand. You do not hear it outside that. At least I have not heard it.  Think about it JJ, How would they know the guy is "Cheap" if they had nothing to compare it too.

But to your OP, the impression is all foreigners here in Thailand are loaded thus when they do not cough out money they can be frowned upon and called  "Cheap Farangs" as you put it. Its a stigma that has existed for years. As for "pennywise" women, Being many have had little for most of their life and had to scrape by, they are always going to be "Bahtwise" thus they are looked at as very frugal and spending conscience.

Edited by JAFO

Whatever JJ, you are splitting hairs. Cheap skate, Cheap Farangs, Cheap Foreigners, Tight Wad, Cheap Ass...All one in the same for the context of your post. As said, most of them are heard in a very specific segment of Thailand. You do not hear it outside that. At least I have not heard it.  Think about it JJ, How would they know the guy is "Cheap" if they had nothing to compare it too.

But to your OP, the impression is all foreigners here in Thailand are loaded thus when they do not cough out money they can be frowned upon and called  "Cheap Farangs" as you put it. Its a stigma that has existed for years. As for "pennywise" women, Being many have had little for most of their life and had to scrape by, they are always going to be "Bahtwise" thus they are looked at as very frugal and spending conscience.

Any cheap guy stands out after knowing them for short periods...there are few cultural boundaries that hide that.
No matter what background u are from it will be apparent after a few meals or shopping trips when they complain about 10 baht water.

But your focus is on what thai women say about farang guys and that is not my focus.
My focus is on what other farangs say about and the negative view they have of cheapass farangs.. yet if a thai woman is equally frugal, they are praised for saving a baht....

• 1 month later...

Maybe if some of the people on a very limited government pensions living in Thailand had been a bit more frugal throughout their entire working life and saved and invested the money not spent in a wise manner, they could spend a bit more on living in the retirement years.

3 minutes ago, rogeroc said:

Interesting how people who claim to not visit girlie bars seem to be convinced and know that 'cheap charlie' is bar girl talk.

Somewhat like those who compare certain states of tidiness with the untidiness of brothels, perhaps? I always challenge their personal experiences, especially if their wife is nearby

2 hours ago, Ahab said:

Maybe if some of the people on a very limited government pensions living in Thailand had been a bit more frugal throughout their entire working life and saved and invested the money not spent in a wise manner, they could spend a bit more on living in the retirement years.

Yes, or perhaps they always were lowly-paid workers who had little to "put by" once they had fed and clothed themselves and educated their children?

On 10/4/2016 at 9:27 AM, JJGreen said:

Any cheap guy stands out after knowing them for short periods...there are few cultural boundaries that hide that.
No matter what background u are from it will be apparent after a few meals or shopping trips when they complain about 10 baht water.

But your focus is on what thai women say about farang guys and that is not my focus.
My focus is on what other farangs say about and the negative view they have of cheapass farangs.. yet if a thai woman is equally frugal, they are praised for saving a baht....

I think you know the answer, the reality is that on Thai Visa there are a fair number who want to tell us they have been successful in achieving the perfect relationship with a Thai women (hinting that this is because of their own qualities and selection skills) and that she is the exceptional one who 'bucks the trend' They like to boast about this often under the guise of being a 'positive poster'. And this type of poster will obviously also be a generous person.

Edited by rogeroc

If foreigners are dumb enough to spend money on things they don,t need and or on a very questionable Thai woman they no very little about. They like many will be joining their local Flying Club. The Pattaya Flying Club has hundreds of members joining yearly. Don,t know how many foreigners with far much more money than myself ruined on the average within two years. Go for it blow all your money on booze, bar girls, their new homes , cars , gold etc. Thousands of guys do while she is laughing all the way to the bank. If she gives a damn about you she would help you save your money for the future.

18 hours ago, SaintLouisBlues said:

Yes, or perhaps they always were lowly-paid workers who had little to "put by" once they had fed and clothed themselves and educated their children?

Perhaps that is true, but almost anyone in the west could save 5% or 10% out of every paycheck. 5 or ten pennies out of every dollar, saved on every single paycheck adds up over a lifetime. It obviously will not be as much as someone making $100,000 a year in salary, but I guarantee it would more than nothing.

16 hours ago, Mitkof Island said:

If foreigners are dumb enough to spend money on things they don,t need and or on a very questionable Thai woman they no very little about. They like many will be joining their local Flying Club. The Pattaya Flying Club has hundreds of members joining yearly. Don,t know how many foreigners with far much more money than myself ruined on the average within two years. Go for it blow all your money on booze, bar girls, their new homes , cars , gold etc. Thousands of guys do while she is laughing all the way to the bank. If she gives a damn about you she would help you save your money for the future.

The phrase "A fool and his money are soon parted (by Thomas Tusser)" comes to mind and is still applicable.  Don't be a fool!