No major flood this year: Thai experts

webfact

INUNDATION

No major flood this year: experts

Pratch Rujivanarom
The Nation 

30296744-01_big.jpg?1475441176726
Dogs belonging to villagers in Ayutthaya’s Sena district are distressed after being stranded in their owners’ homes due to the area being affected by flooding since September 24. Photo By ChalineeThirasupa

Situation is very different from 2011, with concern still of possible drought

BANGKOK: - THAILAND will not see a replay of the Great Flood of 2011 this year because the level of rainfall and others factors are different - in fact hydrologists are warning that water might even be in short supply during the next dry season.

"We have to understand that we are in a total different situation than 2011. That year we faced five storms inbound for Thailand," Royon Jitdon, director of the Hydro and Agro Informatics Institute, said last week. 

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/No-major-flood-this-year-experts-30296744.html

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2016-10-03

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, NongKhaiKid said:

As soon as I read, see or hear the word ' expert ' ... !

I tend to put Thai "experts" into a catagory of their own.

Edited by Rorri
Changed then to tend....

6 minutes ago, Rorri said:

I tend to put Thai "experts" into a catagory of their own.

5 minutes ago, NongKhaiKid said:

An absolute must !   

The only consistent expertise that they have over others is the ability to leave me feeling incredulous afterwards.

Looking at the weather charts, this evening could prove to be interesting with high tide and forecasted heavy rains.

Nonthaburi folks get your wellies and waders ready.

One must first understand the geographic logic of Bangkoker's. When 99% of the country is flooded, but BKK is not there, is N0 flood. If Bangkok is flooded and the rest of the country is dry there is a national flood. If it is dry in BKK there is a drought etc etc.

The irony is that the civil servants that now are blaming the recent drought and the 2011 flood on PTP, will retain too much water in the dams at the end of this rainfall season. If we going to have a normal rainfall season and they don't let water out starting in March we will have the same results in 2011. When the rainfall season starts the dams must be around 45% of capacity to accommodate a normal rainfall season.

If however the rest of the world warn an El Nino is on it way like at the end of 2013 they must retain more water otherwise we have the result as seen in 2014 and 2015. Logic and commonsense one should think, but then again its easier not to think and blame everything that goes wrong on someone else.

Sad for the people who are flooded but if you read the article you can see why the experts are saying its different. All those arm chair experts in Thaivisa don't bother reading the article.

Totally different situation and no YL who waited with releasing the water (to help her Baharn and his province) against the advice of the experts. So it made the flooding worse (would be flooding for sure but not as much as there was because of YL her mismanagement). This time the experts can make the decisions not the wallet of of PTP cronies. So its much safer. 

Plus like they said there is less rain and the dams are not full. 

Of course there can be no flooding we have our new fearless leader. Everybody knows the previous floods where YL's fault they told us so.  In fact if you look hard enough just about everything including the amount of rainfall or lack of it can be linked back to the Shinawatras.

Intelligence it might be something different from Thai called experts !!! Thai experts are starting construction for 900 Km new railway from Khon Kaen to Bangkok in September 2015 without planning or design or EIA and it means they will start now from  900 KM 3 500 meter in 2017 and will finish that ( Ital Thai ) in 2025. The total when Thai will build the  900 Km we can travel than  to Khon Kaen in 2099.

And after 1 week they need to close the whole stretch for repairing. Looks like to receive a certificate for an engineer your papa must have money. Maybe the same for the irrigation clowns.

Not sure what's classed as a flood in Thailand, is there a general river on sukhumvit 13 or do they just make the drains s..t to help the public transport. I was also in khon kaen recently and I'm pretty sure it was horribly flooded in parts. What is a flood, I've been in bars in Phuket and seen markers for when the tsunami occurred. Surprisingly I've seen deeper water from what apparently is normal, non floody sorts 

7 minutes ago, Phuketboy said:

Bangkok is dry so no major flooding, however one only need to open their eyes.  Intelligence of Thai experts = that of a 12 year old Western child.

5555 you haven't been observing news apparently - oh yeah it's not flooding, it's just water that hasn't receded yet x)

Some parts of Bangkok were already flooded over the past several weeks. According to my inlaws Morchit Bus Terminal was flooded last week and my Mrs told me she cruised on her PCX very slowly due to flooding. When a downpour of an hour hits Bangkok the Klongs are still cloaked with rubbish and the water can't pass out. Its every year the same and I wonder what the BMA does against it.