Phuket TAT chief unshaken about copycat ‘Vegetarian Festivals’

webfact

Phuket TAT chief unshaken about copycat ‘Vegetarian Festivals’

The Phuket News

1475305894_1-org.jpg

Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) Phuket office Chief Anoma Vongyai remains confident that the 'alternative' vegetarian festivals will have no adverse effect on the cultural or commercial attraction of the Phuket home-grown celebration.

PHUKET: -- As the Phuket Vegetarian Festival 2016 gets underway today (Oct 1), another version of the “Vegetarian Festival” to be held over the same nine days will begin in the Chinatown Yaowarat district in Bangkok.

Yet, Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) Phuket office Chief Anoma Vongyai remains confident that the “alternative” vegetarian festivals will have no adverse effect on the cultural or commercial attraction of the Phuket home-grown celebration.

“No, this will not affect the Phuket Vegetarian Festival. Phuket has been holding this festival for 191 years,” Ms Anoma, who was born and raised in Phuket, said.

“Also, this will not affect the number of tourists coming to Phuket. The tourists who come to Phuket at this time of year are mostly tourists who have come especially to watch – or to join – the festival,” Ms Anoma told The Phuket News.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-tat-chief-unshaken-about-copycat-vegetarian-festivals-59315.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2016-10-03

There's a good article in one of the Phuket papers about the true meaning of the festival.

The food that is meant to be eaten is boiled vegetables. The whole idea is to eat boring, bland food with no meat.

Saw some excellent looking fried noodles dishes at Samkong.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

vegetarian festivals will have no adverse effect on the cultural or commercial attraction of the Phuket home-grown celebration.

Yes they will extract the same amount of cash as last year plus 10% by TAT calculations. All these "cultural" events make me laugh. Why not call them what they really are "Cash extraction festivals" Their motto is "Yes we do it painlessly" Open up your hearts to the joy but mainly open your wallets. 

Copycat? COPYCAT? HAHAHA. Phuket copied this festival from old chinese Taoism. Now they think they came up with the idea? THEY are the copycats. That the festivals name derives form chinese, that they celebrate nine chinese emperor gods, that the date is specified by the chinese calendar and that they use chinese letters everywhere should give a strong hint where this really originated. These TAT people really are amazing.

I can only assume folks who are talking about deep fried foods or tasteless foods have never been to the actual vegetarian restaurants during the festival. 

I'd be glad to eat half of my dishes as vegetarian varieties, if only it would be available throughout the year and all around. 

The real vegetarian food during the festival is excellent. 

I bet it's a very good way to loose some weight. 

Who ever invented that the noodle soups are supposed to be eaten with chopsticks anyway? This guy knows how every farang feels, when moving to Thailand. 

"Next time I'll use fork!"

29886579650_a5b3f68004_c.jpg