inexpensive drone for son

farangajarn

1 hour ago, MadMac said:

You misunderstood my point. You quoted two long "legal texts", or at least you made it look like that. I simply asked you for your source, which you still do not provide. 

I can google myself, certainly, and if I find helpful information I may quote that with the relevant source. 'nough said.

The link was reposted in my post # 25

I own quite a few drones (Phanton 3 advanced, YUNEEC Typhoon H, Xiro Explorer, Parrot Bebo 2, Hubsan H501S, and a bunch of smaller ones).

First thing to remember is YOU WILL CRASH IT , when you are starting out. Hit a tree, Power Wire, Wall, or even the ground itself. Because of this you want to get something that is less expensive and/or durable. Also I would recommend one with gps and auto-takeoff. Don't start with a DJI. They are great Drones, expensive, and if you crash it you will need to buy a new one.....

My two recommendations are:

Hubsan H501S - cheap light weight (sold on banggood.com ~8500THB) poor video

Parrot Bebop 2 - very easy to fly, fairly durable, you can fly it from your smartphone, good video. My favorite starter drone. (240000THB)

Buy extra propellers and batteries!!!!

I hope this helps

Edited by reallybigken

12 hours ago, reallybigken said:

I own quite a few drones (Phanton 3 advanced, YUNEEC Typhoon H, Xiro Explorer, Parrot Bebo 2, Hubsan H501S, and a bunch of smaller ones).

First thing to remember is YOU WILL CRASH IT , when you are starting out. Hit a tree, Power Wire, Wall, or even the ground itself. Because of this you want to get something that is less expensive and/or durable. Also I would recommend one with gps and auto-takeoff. Don't start with a DJI. They are great Drones, expensive, and if you crash it you will need to buy a new one.....

My two recommendations are:

Hubsan H501S - cheap light weight (sold on banggood.com ~8500THB) poor video

Parrot Bebop 2 - very easy to fly, fairly durable, you can fly it from your smartphone, good video. My favorite starter drone. (240000THB)

Buy extra propellers and batteries!!!!

I hope this helps

240,000TBT - Not a misprint, right ? 

Referring to reallybigkenn's post I was too looking for one for my boys but was afraid that a cheap one would be just that, a toy that won't work after a few tries and the expensive one will be too difficult to use and/or be costly when crash. I learnt that lesson with buying the most expensive remote helicopter which went up and away the first time never to be seen again.

Are the one's 3000 bht and less worth the price?

Hi,

I have a Syma X8G which is a full size drone similar to the DJI phantoms but no where near the cost. It has a 8mp gopro like camera which takes 1080p and stills. Its only been flown a few times and is like new. I had it on bahtsold for $4000THB with 3 extra batteries but nobody was interested. google it and if interested give me a pm me.

1 hour ago, junglechef said:

Figured so but what about my question to you?

I guess I missed the question. If you are talking about the price of Bebop 2 with controller, it is 24000 Thai Baht. If I missed something let me know. I'm happy to help. I have put a lot of money into drone. I have actually built a few myself. And crashed even more ......

Let me know if I can help.

1 minute ago, reallybigken said:

I guess I missed the question. If you are talking about the price of Bebop 2 with controller, it is 24000 Thai Baht. If I missed something let me know. I'm happy to help. I have put a lot of money into drone. I have actually built a few myself. And crashed even more ......

"Referring to reallybigkenn's post I was too looking for one for my boys but was afraid that a cheap one would be just that, a toy that won't work after a few tries and the expensive one will be too difficult to use and/or be costly when crash. I learnt that lesson with buying the most expensive remote helicopter which went up and away the first time never to be seen again.

Are the one's 3000 bht and less worth the price?"

1 hour ago, junglechef said:

"Referring to reallybigkenn's post I was too looking for one for my boys but was afraid that a cheap one would be just that, a toy that won't work after a few tries and the expensive one will be too difficult to use and/or be costly when crash. I learnt that lesson with buying the most expensive remote helicopter which went up and away the first time never to be seen again.

Are the one's 3000 bht and less worth the price?"

Well in my opinion. The cheap ones can be a good place to start, its where I started, but they are much .... much ....much .... harder to fly. Most people give up and get frustrated because they are so hard to fly. Just taking off and landing can be a chore. Keeping them in the air and under control is a constant challenge..... and then add wind......

The more advanced ones have GPS, altimeters, magnetometers, flow sensors, sonar, and more (not all drones have all these sensors). All these sensors are used to automate takeoff, landing, and flight stabilization. You just push a button and it lifts off and hovers waiting for you to control it. Push a button and it lands. Another thing that is nice is if you take you hands off the controls it just stops where it is and hover waiting for you to take control again. This is great when you are starting out because if loose your sense of direction/orientation (like when the drone is flying towards you ... controls are reversed) you just let go of the controls and it stops and hovers ... automatically. Also it keeps it under control in moderate windy condition .... automatically.

Also, the drone is constantly bobbing and weaving to keep aloft, balanced, and on course which has an adverse effect on the pictures or video quality. If you want good video you need a stabilized camera countering these conditions.

This is why I like the Bebop 2. It is the cheapest one with all the best sensors and a (digitally) stabilized camera. Also the Bebop is very light (under 500 grams). The lower weight reduces damage when it crashes. I have probably crashed my Bebop 2 25++ times. Other than having to replace a propeller, or two, it just keeps on flying. This could be just my luck. Note that the Digitally stabilized camera does add some artifact to the video, but with the latest update its good for the price. Search YouTube for Bebop 2, with update 3.3 or newer, and check out the video for yourself. I know its a bit more expensive but you get a good beginner drone that if fairly durable (at least it has been for me).

By the way I have nothing to do with Parrot or the bebop, other than owning one.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Edited by reallybigken

7 hours ago, junglechef said:

Referring to reallybigkenn's post I was too looking for one for my boys but was afraid that a cheap one would be just that, a toy that won't work after a few tries and the expensive one will be too difficult to use and/or be costly when crash. I learnt that lesson with buying the most expensive remote helicopter which went up and away the first time never to be seen again.

Are the one's 3000 bht and less worth the price?

I would say yes. But it is a toy so do not expect too much of it. As long you do not crash it full speed against concrete it will survive. My first landings were  just stop the throttle and let it drop down from 10 meter high.

It takes some time to learn to fly. It depends on your sons character and attention span if he will like to learn to control it.

Disadvantages;

The battery in the cheap ones  give a flight time about 5 minutes after which it needs to be recharged for an 1 hour or so.

If you have a tree close by it probably will get stuck in it and you will have fun to get it out again.

On youtube there is a nice movie made by a drone of the grand canyon at Hang dong, Chiang Mai. 

Maybe a remote controlled offroad car is more fun for him.

• 1 month later...

I have TWO  parrot  be bop 2's they are  pretty  good, not the ultimate  but as  said STRONG............might consider  selling one but  not the sky  controller so you would have to use it by a tablet only or  get a controller, I also have spare  batteries

Arial photo taken in Madeira Island

porto moniz.jpg

Edited by kannot

On 10/4/2016 at 3:41 PM, reallybigken said:

Do you know where they are for sale?

Thanks, 

JC

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, I don't know where they are for sale in Thailand. You can buy it direct from Parrot (www.parrot.com). They are having a sale on the Parrot BEBOP 2 FPV right now for $499 US (I think I payed $899). That includes the Drone (Bebop 2), SkyController (Remote transmitter), and a FPV (First Person Video) holder to put your phone in. By the way, Get the "Bebop 2" (flight time of 25 Minutes and better control) and NOT the older original Bebop (Flight time of about 5 Minutes and poor video and control).

Every time I tried to search for the Bebop in Thailand it sends me back to US for pricing, as I'm in the US right now.

Let me know how I can help.

Edited by reallybigken

Thanks but was looking for something cheaper then for my pre-teen kids to play with. 

Picked up a Syma X5HW at Amorin (sp?) in Icon for just over 2000 bht.

Was told it has wondeful reviews.

Was fine and easy to fly but third time the kids took it out w/o me and it flies no more 

Doesn't have any power, might take it into Drone shop but think it's just one of those "you get what you pay for"

or "boys can be boys", not the first time I've learnt either lesson

At least the kids got it out of their system, lets see what they HAVE to have this week :smile: