Thai-UK business council convened for Brexit

webfact

Thai-UK business council convened for Brexit

YUKAKO ONO, Nikkei staff writer

BANGKOK -- Prominent companies from Thailand and the U.K. held their first joint business council meeting Monday to discuss how to increase investment between the two countries, including a possible free trade agreement, just as Britain confirmed its timetable for leaving the European Union by 2019.

Representatives from 13 major Thai companies, including PTT, Bangkok Bank, Thai Beverage and Thai Airways International, and 11 U.K. companies, among them Tesco, HSBC and Diageo, took part in the meeting.

The idea for the business council first came up this spring, before the U.K. voted to leave the EU. The group will now put post-Brexit trade arrangements between Thailand and the U.K. on the agenda.

Full story: http://asia.nikkei.com/Business/AC/Thai-UK-business-council-convened-for-Brexit

-- NIKKEI ASIAN REVIEW 2016-10-04

This kind of deal is exactly what will leave whats left of the EU (if anything) languishing way behind in the next 5 to 10 years.

Given that most governments appear to only be thinking about the next election it's a trap I expect a lot of them to fall into.

The interesting thing I see here is that current EU companies could open up facilities in the UK to take advantage of trade pacts and markets that don't exist in the EU but exist in the UK - another win win

Edited by smedly

3 hours ago, Orac said:

They can talk about it as much as they like but does anybody really believe Thailand is going to allow tariff free access to UK goods and services.

Nope. Nor will they allow British people or companies to set up and own businesses and subsidiaries as easily as they can do in Britain.

4 hours ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

It may take a few years, but I think that all those gloom and doom merchants following Brexit will realise that there is still life outside of the EU and that the UK will be a sovereign, independent and successful trading Nation once again. 

What like the Victorian times when we had 10 year old children cleaning chimneys??!! It all went downhill after then and totally collapsed in the 1970's. Joining the EU saved us

Edited by PeeJay1959
spelling mistake

14 hours ago, ukrules said:

This kind of deal is exactly what will leave whats left of the EU (if anything) languishing way behind in the next 5 to 10 years.

Given that most governments appear to only be thinking about the next election it's a trap I expect a lot of them to fall into.

I doubt very much if any trade deal between the UK and Thailand will compensate for the loss of maintaining trade with the single market.

The EU already has a free trade agreement with Thailand and since the UK is still part of the EU they can take full advantage of that.

This 'new agreement' is likely to be just a one way street with Thailand doing the exporting and the UK the importing (if it can find the money to pay for it all).

2 minutes ago, Xircal said:

The EU already has a free trade agreement with Thailand and since the UK is still part of the EU they can take full advantage of that.

This 'new agreement' is likely to be just a one way street with Thailand doing the exporting and the UK the importing (if it can find the money to pay for it all).

There is no free trade agreement berween EU and Thailand  but I totally agree with the 2nd part of your comment

Brexit is for thickos and dumbheads and now UK is desperate for any trade deals.Pathetic from what was a great country and now is becoming an insignificant backwater and Looser nation. Theres no Great in Great Britain anymore. Bye bye !

Exactly, dealing with Thailand beats free access to a 500 million market. You tell them upwards and onwards!!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

5 minutes ago, johnsnapo said:

Brexit is for thickos and dumbheads and now UK is desperate for any trade deals.Pathetic from what was a great country and now is becoming an insignificant backwater and Looser nation. Theres no Great in Great Britain anymore. Bye bye !

The funny part is that it cannot actually make any trade deals while it remains a member of the EU and by 2019 when Brexit becomes a reality the world may have changed significantly making the Thai deal largely irrelevant.

51 minutes ago, johnsnapo said:

There isn't? What happened to the rest of the British Isles? Did they float off now the nation is looser?

I am presuming you do know the 'Great' in 'Great Britain' is a geographical term?

Edited by baboon

There isn't? What happened to the rest of the British Isles? Did they float off now the nation is looser?
I am presuming you do know the 'Great' in 'Great Britain' is a geographical term?

To be pedantic, not all of the British Isles have voted to leave the EU and part will be remaining in it at least for the time being.

5 hours ago, Xircal said:

The funny part is that it cannot actually make any trade deals while it remains a member of the EU and by 2019 when Brexit becomes a reality the world may have changed significantly making the Thai deal largely irrelevant.

and you sir get the prize for the dumbest post so far in 2016

The UK can do exactly what it wants from here - who is going to stop them

waken up <deleted> and stop posting utter nonsense.

sorry for being so blunt but I believe it is well deserved

USA Canada Australia India China - all huge markets

and if anyone thinks the EU is going to survive the next 5 years needs to smell the cheese - by the time the UK gets started with talks the EU will be no more - it is on its last legs and will be gone before you can say "junker is a masterbater"

39 minutes ago, Basil B said:

and free movement of labour??? (wishful thinking) :tongue:

There is nothing wrong with people from other countries coming to the UK provided they have a job and are contributing to the economy.............................if they want welfare they can go to France or Germany and see how long they put up with it............................no more free handouts in the UK - either contribute or F................................................O back to you own country

A loser nation that just came second in the Olympics despite a small populace.
Dear me, some people shouldn't drink and use the internet, or use the internet full stop. Get back under your bridge.

The UK isn't desperate for anything but perhaps to get the monkey off its back. This is the type of thing that will be commonplace, countries looking to do deals without having to be stifled and pay exorbitant fees to get access to the UK through the EU. And nothing significant will change in the next few years regards EU laws when the UK will have the shackles off (duh). UK owes its success to Europe? lol, there's another one. In that case, why is Spain, Italy, France and myriad others such a mess while Switzerland still strong? Hard work, brains in industry and know how.

Geographical context aside, there will always be a great in Great Britain... for the most part it's people are not yellow lemmings and it'll continue to punch above its weight.

Carry on, envy folk. [emoji6]

A loser nation that just came second in the Olympics despite a small populace.

Dear me, some people shouldn't drink and use the internet, or use the internet full stop. Get back under your bridge.

The UK isn't desperate for anything but perhaps to get the monkey off its back. This is the type of thing that will be commonplace, countries looking to do deals without having to be stifled and pay exorbitant fees to get access to the UK through the EU. And nothing significant will change in the next few years regards EU laws when the UK will have the shackles off (duh). UK owes its success to Europe? lol, there's another one. In that case, why is Spain, Italy, France and myriad others such a mess while Switzerland still strong? Hard work, brains in industry and know how.

Geographical context aside, there will always be a great in Great Britain... for the most part it's people are not yellow lemmings and it'll continue to punch above its weight.

Carry on, envy folk. [emoji6]

It's comments like this that shame what was once a great nation. Your sense of self worth and superiority is only matched by your blinkers. Brexit is about the Conservatives screwing the nation and a grab for power. If you believe for one second those self serving arrogant politicians actually give a toss about Great whatever then you really need to do some reading. Left and right politicians are only slaves to their masters and you are a small insignificant pawn in their chess game. Stop reading the Mail and such like you might get a deeper understanding of what really is going on here.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Those who think the UK is going to come out of this with great deals have no reality of the real world.

Thankfully Cameron has gone...

It is going to be a hard slog just get any reasonable deals and certainly those who think think the EU and and the rest of the world will play dead and let the UK walk all over them should take their medication. 

17 hours ago, smedly said:

and you sir get the prize for the dumbest post so far in 2016

The UK can do exactly what it wants from here - who is going to stop them

sorry for being so blunt but I believe it is well deserved

USA Canada Australia India China - all huge markets

and if anyone thinks the EU is going to survive the next 5 years needs to smell the cheese - by the time the UK gets started with talks the EU will be no more - it is on its last legs and will be gone before you can say "junker is a masterbater"

Until it leaves the EU the UK is bound by the rules which it agreed to when it entered. The EU negotiates trade deals as a whole and those apply to every member state. Independent trade deals are forbidden.

The EU already has trade deals with the countries you mentioned and the UK can benefit from those already.

So I'm afraid to say that your post is the 'dumbest in the forum' as you so quaintly put it, not mine.

1 hour ago, Xircal said:

Until it leaves the EU the UK is bound by the rules which it agreed to when it entered. The EU negotiates trade deals as a whole and those apply to every member state. Independent trade deals are forbidden.

The EU already has trade deals with the countries you mentioned and the UK can benefit from those already.

So I'm afraid to say that your post is the 'dumbest in the forum' as you so quaintly put it, not mine.

you can of course believe what you think is correct - that doesn't mean it is