New Zealand's plan to save the kiwi

webfact

New Zealand's plan to save the kiwi

WELLINGTON: -- Some 100,000 wild kiwi could be roaming New Zealand in less than 15 years, according to a new government plan.

The Kiwi Recovery Plan 2017-2027 by the Department of Conservation is an attempt to scale up efforts to New Zealand's national icon.

Kiwi numbers have been falling at around 2% a year, largely due to predators such as stoats and dogs. Once numbering in the millions, there are now only an estimated 68,000 kiwi remaining in the wild.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-37538170

bbc_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright BBC 2016-10-04

19 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

i was reading the nz news the other day and the government said they are going to get rid of all the rats and stoats by 2050. sounded about as likely as getting rid of corruption in thailand in the next 20 years. new zealands native wildlife has been decimated by these pests.

So, it's the rats and stoats that will be headed to Oz then. Probably see one elected as PM by 2060.

4 minutes ago, Stewy58 said:

Hay Bro there's 708756 Kiwis in oz just send them home

That's because the Kiwi eats roots, shoots and then leaves on the Big OE (overseas experience). 

As a footnote, Kiwis provide a great balance for the population of Australia, because for every Kiwi that arrives in Oz, it raises the IQ of both countries.

Except for Joh Bjelke Petersen. 

2 hours ago, rustyhinges said:

There are quite a lot here in TL that should be sent back on another inbreeding programme.

NZers or Aussies? I'm starting to get a bit confused here. Aussies don't need another inbreeding program, the current one works perfectly well.

20 hours ago, Kiwiken said:

Rats and Stoats isn't that Aussies. Yes a problem to be exterminated. We now have more people coming from a sinking Australia to live in NZ than outgoing. Aussies and kiwis returning.

Hmmmm. Isn't that because Kiwis don't get Oz benefits anymore, and Aussies still get NZ benefits?

'bout time for some reciprocity, methinks.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

21 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

i was reading the nz news the other day and the government said they are going to get rid of all the rats and stoats by 2050. sounded about as likely as getting rid of corruption in thailand in the next 20 years. new zealands native wildlife has been decimated by these pests.

Could easily be done if they gave all the dole bludgers a 22 and a bag of tucker and sent them into the bush to exterminate the pests. Give them a $ a tail and no benefit. Job done.

NZ now has 5 rodent & feral cat free islands & the native bird life is increasing well.

These pests that eat the eggs of native birds that nest on the ground are a liability & every time the

population is decreased the NZ Government gets my applause.

16 hours ago, Dexlowe said:

NZers or Aussies? I'm starting to get a bit confused here. Aussies don't need another inbreeding program, the current one works perfectly well.

They're lovely people too.  I went to a Tasmanian wedding recently and the parents of the bride and groom were a really nice couple.

12 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Hmmmm. Isn't that because Kiwis don't get Oz benefits anymore, and Aussies still get NZ benefits?

'bout time for some reciprocity, methinks.

I would be disgusted if NZ stooped to the low level of Xenophobia and racism our erstwhile neighbour does. They may deny Our Citizens rights we afford Australian in NZ. That is because we still hold to the Anzac spirit. Australia should rename their April 25th to Anzak day = Australia's new zeal attacking kiwis. We were once cousins now we are in their eyes the same as Trumps view of Mexicans. I lived in Oz for many years was a resident and allowed to vote. But that is something they deny our people despite our Contributions to the Australian Economy. We always had friendly rivalry turned bitter by successive Australian Govts since 2001. Current estimates say there are over 300,000 kiwis living in Australia and about 66,000 Australians living in NZ.

I for one would never want to see NZ retaliate against Australians. Let the spirit live on.