Chiang Rai man claims his money went missing after using ATM

webfact

Chiang Rai man claims his money went missing after using ATM

CHIANG RAI, 4 September 2016 (NNT)-A 50-year old man in Chiang Rai has claimed his money went missing after making a transfer via a Thai Military Bank (TMB) ATM. 

Mr. Thanachai Hosuwan revealed that after making a transfer of 16,000 baht to his daughter’s account via the ATM, that that she never received the money even though the receipt produced by the machine confirmed it had been sent. 

He also received a text message from the bank on his phone saying the transfer was incorrect. It said his savings balance had also been adjusted and Mr. Thanachai soon found he was left with only 573 baht. 

He contacted a manager of the TMB’s Pahonyothin branch to look into this problem. However, he is not expected to receive an answer until after three working days. 

According to the report, Mr. Thanachai was not the only bank client to experience the same issue recently. One customer reportedly lost 50,000 baht using the same ATM. Mr. Thanachai urged the bank to speed up its investigation. 

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2016-10-04

When he transfered the funds the persons name would have appeared on the screen and importantly when you are satified its the person your sending the funds to click send and thats all you need to do. Its pretty fool proof.

Three people in my family/friends in the last three weeks used various ATM's to withdraw money from their accounts.

The amount was deducted from the accounts, but no money came out of the machines.

All contacted their own bank, and after a max of ten days received the money back.

Certainly very disturbing.

47 minutes ago, aussiandrew said:

When he transfered the funds the persons name would have appeared on the screen and importantly when you are satified its the person your sending the funds to click send and thats all you need to do. Its pretty fool proof.

But not 100% fool proof, unless somebody is not telling the truth

I feel for the bloke. My expat mates flew in to Bangkok from the Middle East to visit and in preparation for a night on the razz I went to the ATM and withdrew a not inconsiderable amount of cash. I awoke the next morning face down on my sofa with a blinding headache, no memory of the previous 12 hours and only 100 baht in my wallet so not only did the ATM steal my hard earned spons but it must have released some form of total amnesia gas at the same time to cover its crime. Neither the bank nor the police were in the slightest bit interested so they must have been in cahoots.

Sometimes the ATM eats the card entirely! You have to find a telephone, find a ATM bank rep telephone, get them to come to the ATM, wait, and get your card back.

Getting another card from your issuing bank is a pain in the ass and takes time and then international postal delivery. Sucks big time if you rely solely on your ATM if it gets lost whilst travelling. 

On October 4, 2016 at 4:01 PM, aussiandrew said:

Until the money is removed from your account and doesn't show up at its destination.

I used an overseas card to withdraw 15,000 baht from an ATM.  The first machine gave me some sort of error, so I went to the machine next to it.  It too gave me an error so I left empty handed.  The next day I check online banking and it shows that indeed 15,000 baht had been debited out of my account.  I then complained to my  overseas bank that I never received the funds so they put in a claim to SCB about this.  3 months later, SCB tells my bank that everything reconciled that day and I was out of 15,000 baht.  I asked the bank to review the footage, but they said that it would show if money came out or not, only show who was at the machine.  I got screwed and someone at SCB is 15,000 baht richer.