Are you a American that left the U.S. because its people have become to aggressive, violent, greedy, selfish, uncaring, unconcerned, allowing a police state to flourish?

citzofwrld

3 minutes ago, citzofwrld said:

More and more Americans seem to be leaving the U.S. seeking tranquil, more peaceful countries aboard that offer warm, sunny climates year around at affordable prices. Are you one of them?

No. 

I left a long time ago, attracted to the easy "retirement" visa rules in Thailand (no pension needed and as young as 50) and the more affordable cost of living here. If you want warm and sunny, plenty of U.S. places like that. 

Sure there is plenty to hate about the behavior of American people,  but there is also plenty to hate about the behavior of Thai people, and every other country as well.

Wherever you move, you're still you.

The rah, rah America 'can do no wrong' types always resort to childish name calling (tin foil hat, nutty conspiracy theorists) to make their lame case to promote the U.S. and its so-called exceptional people. Fortunately, they are quickly becoming the minority in the U.S. as Americans wake up to the very disturbing reality they have been ignoring for decades. Regarding the  police state, a 2014 C-Span poll ''Is the U.S. a police state?' Produced these results, Yes 2734, No 211. I personally split my time between two  foreign countries, after spending more them 60 yrs in the U.S. tolerating totally clueless, stupid people on a daily basis. Yes, every country has them. But, they aren't eager to conquer the world, displacing and killing millions in the process. A country that does that is no place for me. 

3 minutes ago, citzofwrld said:

The rah, rah America 'can do no wrong' types always resort to childish name calling (tin foil hat, nutty conspiracy theorists) to make their lame case to promote the U.S. and its so-called exceptional people. Fortunately, they are quickly becoming the minority in the U.S. as Americans wake up to the very disturbing reality they have been ignoring for decades. Regarding the  police state, a 2014 C-Span poll ''Is the U.S. a police state?' Produced these results, Yes 2734, No 211. I personally split my time between two  foreign countries, after spending more them 60 yrs in the U.S. tolerating totally clueless, stupid people on a daily basis. Yes, every country has them. But, they aren't eager to conquer the world, displacing and killing millions in the process. A country that does that is no place for me. 

Its great that the country you are leaving has had enough going for it to allow you to prosper to the point of retirement. Then in retirement you decide that everyone is "Stupid" and decide to leave and spend the rest of your days (and money) in a foreign country. 

You should renounce your citizenship while you are at it. 

These "Stupid" people wouldn't want you come back all broke needing healthcare or anything. 

12 hours ago, Strange said:

Its great that the country you are leaving has had enough going for it to allow you to prosper to the point of retirement. Then in retirement you decide that everyone is "Stupid" and decide to leave and spend the rest of your days (and money) in a foreign country. 

You should renounce your citizenship while you are at it. 

These "Stupid" people wouldn't want you come back all broke needing healthcare or anything. 

12 hours ago, citzofwrld said:

You forgot to call me unAmerican, a America hater for not loving our lying, corrupt politicians, and their corporate wars of aggression. Which, I imagine, you are quite chest pounding proud of. And yes, I'm so glad, the government allowed me to work between 8-16hrs a day to pay into S.S. 

You don't sound very sure of yourself.  Why do you need other people to validate your decision?  

I think you need to convince yourself first.  Polls are not going to help you.

29 minutes ago, citzofwrld said:

You forgot to call me unAmerican, a America hater for not loving our lying, corrupt politicians, and their corporate wars of aggression. Which, I imagine, you are quite chest pounding proud of. And yes, I'm so glad, the government allowed me to work between 8-16hrs a day to pay into S.S. 

Look man whatever you decide thats on you. Im glad your happy where ever you are. I get it, you are tired of it. 

Just be careful because its not much better here in Thailand, just cheaper and the people smile more. 

Yet, another sure winner of a thread that will in no way get spiteful and nasty. FWIW more people are moving to America than out of the USA. It is still one of the most desirable places on the planet to live and the lines at our embassies are physical proof of this

No....I first discovered Thailand visiting here with Thai friends from the US.....I liked it during that first visit, partially because it was different, and partially because for whatever reason it had a "home" feeling to it + friendly people....

I'd travelled quite a bit & been to many countries but liked it here....

I'd seen most of the US over the years and outside of the beauty of the land the rest was pretty much the same.....

I visited here two more times, rented cars, and travelled solo to explore and found that I liked the people & the place without "guides".....Never did make my way to Nana & Pattaya - still haven't.... 

It's been no fun, however, watching my country's marked decline over the last 7+ years....Some of my friends would like to do the same but feel they are trapped by life.....And not happy about it.....

15 hours ago, anotheruser said:

Yet, another sure winner of a thread that will in no way get spiteful and nasty. FWIW more people are moving to America than out of the USA. It is still one of the most desirable places on the planet to live and the lines at our embassies are physical proof of this

That was true over 30 yrs ago, when most foreigners thought all Americans lived like those on 'Dallas'. Now, they come to the U.S. and are deeply disappointed, angry, bitter, broke, no friends, and no money to return home. I know a surgeon that is delivery packages to survive. There's nearly 7 billion people on the plane now. A few still think America is the place to make their fortune and send money back home.

8 minutes ago, citzofwrld said:

That was true over 30 yrs ago, when most foreigners thought all Americans lived like those on 'Dallas'. Now, they come to the U.S. and are deeply disappointed, angry, bitter, broke, no friends, and no money to return home. I know a surgeon that is delivery packages to survive. There's nearly 7 billion people on the plane now. A few still think America is the place to make their fortune and send money back home.

So where are they going now for their fortune? 

15 hours ago, anotheruser said:

That was true over 30 yrs ago, when most foreigners thought all Americans lived like those on 'Dallas'. Now, they come to the U.S. and are deeply disappointed, angry, bitter, broke, no friends, and no money to return home. I know a surgeon that is delivery packages to survive. There's nearly 7 billion people on the plane now. A few still think America is the place to make their fortune and send money back home. Many Americans on FB say they want to leave the U.S. for good but never traveled or lived abroad before so it scares them and/or they don't have the money too.

I was first here in 1974 and I have loved it since then, mostly because of the easy going, happy, fun loving people. I enjoy the language & the culture - and was glad to be able to retire early here about 15 years ago...

An interesting note to your post:

I was last in USA in 2012 - - and though I did not meet many new people, it was surprising to me that of the ones that I did meet, many were interested in moving out of USA and these were country people, ordinary folk who were not well travelled and 20 years prior would never have considered leaving USA, even for a vacation... 

4 hours ago, anotheruser said:

Nothing has changed: "World, give us your huddled and downtrodden masses".
- The above are not so welcome anymore these days.

The Canadians have a different approach: "Unless you already have a solid education (true marketable skills) and/or bring along some serious money, don't even try to knock on our door."

Cheers.

1 minute ago, swissie said:

The Canadians have a different approach: "Unless you already have a solid education (true marketable skills) and/or bring along some serious money, don't even try to knock on our door."

Cheers.

Im liking the Canadian approach. 

2 hours ago, citzofwrld said:

None of my friends that moved to the USA are deeply disappointed, angry, bitter or broke.

Poor immigrants have always been given the shitty end of the stick (read "the Jungle" and consider the condition of Burmese immigrants in Thailand or Malaysia)

SC

54 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

None of my friends that moved to the USA are deeply disappointed, angry, bitter or broke.

Poor immigrants have always been given the shitty end of the stick (read "the Jungle" and consider the condition of Burmese immigrants in Thailand or Malaysia)

SC

By Lewis Sinclair about meatpacking plants in Chicago ?

5 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

By Lewis Sinclair about meatpacking plants in Chicago ?

That's the one. And equally applicable to any rapidly developing economy that attracts immigrants, whether from its neighbours or further afield.  

14 minutes ago, smokie36 said:

No I'm just a happy Scotsman guzzling his beer.

I'm off not to order a curry in the third person.

Yes yes I'm sure the king prawn puri will be fine for starters....

I always reckon that ordering one's curry in the third person sounds a bit hypothetical, not to mention pompous, and invites the response "And would one like one's teeth with one's curry"

Archived